Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A van is pushed from rest with a force of 130N over a distance of 60m. The resistivity forces acting on the van total 90N

Using the information above how would i calculate the kinetic energy the van gains?

ReputationRep:
    Are you given the mass of the van?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBKProductions)
    A van is pushed from rest with a force of 130N over a distance of 60m. The resistivity forces acting on the van total 90N

Using the information above how would i calculate the kinetic energy the van gains?
    Work done = force x distance. So if you can work out the total work done by the van over the distance and subtract the work done against resistive forces, you will have the increase in kinetic energy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Day)
    Are you given the mass of the van?
    Nope thats all ive been given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    Work done = force x distance. So if you can work out the total work done by the van over the distance and subtract the work done against resistive forces, you will have the increase in kinetic energy :yep:
    Or that.

ReputationRep:
    so is it 2400 J?

ReputationRep:
    2400 J pr 2.4 Kj

ReputationRep:
    so is it 2400 J?
    Indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    2400 J pr 2.4 Kj
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Indeed
    if you dont mind me asking another question. The resistance to the motion of a motor boat of mass 780kg is 120N, and the driving force from the propellers is 250N. What distance does it cover while increasing from 2 to 3m/s??

ReputationRep:
    if you dont mind me asking another question. The resistance to the motion of a motor boat of mass 780kg is 120N, and the driving force from the propellers is 250N. What distance does it cover while increasing from 2 to 3m/s??
    I would help, but somebody negged me inexplicably on this thread... :mad:

I'll help really This is like the opposite way around. Find the increase in the kinetic energy (E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2) and then the total work done equals the kinetic energy plus the work done against resistance

ReputationRep:

I'll help really This is like the opposite way around. Find the increase in the kinetic energy (E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2) and then the total work done equals the kinetic energy plus the work done against resistance
    how would i calculate the kinetic energy without the velocity or the distance it travels?

ReputationRep:
    how would i calculate the kinetic energy without the velocity or the distance it travels?
    you have the velocity. The gain in kinteic energy = kinetic energy at 3m/s - kinetic energy at 2m/s

ReputationRep:
    you have the velocity. The gain in kinteic energy = kinetic energy at 3m/s - kinetic energy at 2m/s
    oh ok i see now i didnt understand the question properly i thought i had to work out acc and etc lol but ill try and come bk if i get stuck lol

ReputationRep:
    so the kinetic energy is 1950J?

ReputationRep:

I was not me you crack head, at least ask before negging lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    I was not me you crack head, at least ask before negging lol.
    Ok sorry :o: I guess I miscalculated your power... not like my rep is worth anything :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.