Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing a fair bit of research into what sort of grades successful applicants to study economics at Cambridge and LSE have but I haven't really got a good general idea. Some grades I hear about seem to be a bit farfetched such as the fact that 'most successful Cambridge candidates had at least 95% UMS in every AS subject'.
    My GCSE grades are:
    6A*
    4A
    1B
    For AS level my results were 4 As
    Maths 96%
    Physics 93%
    Economics 92%
    Chemistry 86%
    I'm predicted 4As for A2

I am wondering wether I do stand much of a chance in getting into these two unis or if I should not get my hopes up?

I would very much appreciate any comments. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    yes you stand a very good chance, you have the perfect academia according to their website, good GCSE and AAA

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't you stand a chance?

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of successful Economics applicants to LSE have 7A* plus, but other than that you should be okay. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    The vast majority of successful Economics applicants to LSE have 7A* plus, but other than that you should be okay. Good luck!
    I'm quite interested to know this, where did you find this out?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously is also depends on other things like your interview, but your grades are definately good enough (especially the 90% in Economics and Maths), you stand a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    you need like 8*+ for lse economics.

my friends all got predicted 4As but no one got an offer

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're likely to get into LSE and there will be plenty of people with better grades than you for Cambridge but it'll depend on how you do at the interivew.

ReputationRep:
    LSE's obsession with GCSEs is widely known about. Their Law and Economics departments are fiercely competitive and since they do not interview or use any admissions examinations, GCSEs are the deciding factor.

My best friend applied for Law at LSE with 6A*/5A grades and got rejected. In her feedback letter it said her GCSE grades were not good enough for that year. Someone else at my school applied for Econ with 7A* and got the same response. If you go to a poorly performing school, then they might make an exception.

(Original post by The West Wing)
    I don't think you're likely to get into LSE and there will be plenty of people with better grades than you for Cambridge but it'll depend on how you do at the interivew.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Go to the economics forum and read Paul Why's thread on TAELT.

You have a chance but less than that of candidates with Further Maths at A level and a higher proportion of A*. that's why you would need to make a balanced application with some slightly "softer" choices. Where else did you apply?

for Cambridge, interview will also be crucial

ReputationRep:
    LSE does focus on GCSE's a fair bit from what i have heard from many people including talks at my college. But this is truly specluation, but, there must be some places say 5-10 out of 200 where they give exceptions with obviously very good grades but not excellent and thus focus on personal statement, how they have prepared for university(You had to write on UCAS form), school refference etc.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your help. I guess I can't expect anything but i ight get a little lucky, hopefully i'll be good in my Cambridge interviews. My AS grades i'm pleased with, but for GCSEs regretably I didn't study.

My other choices are
    Warwick
    Bristol
    Nottingham (recieved AABB offer)

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge - almost perfect (they look at top 7 GCSE's and you have missed out 90% for chem). However, this will be better than most.

LSE - You are a great academic candidate with respect to your AS level results - however, LSE are known for asking for at least 10 a*,s. It is quite competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mstawarz1)
    I've been doing a fair bit of research into what sort of grades successful applicants to study economics at Cambridge and LSE have but I haven't really got a good general idea. Some grades I hear about seem to be a bit farfetched such as the fact that 'most successful Cambridge candidates had at least 95% UMS in every AS subject'.
    My GCSE grades are:
    6A*
    4A
    1B
    For AS level my results were 4 As
    Maths 96%
    Physics 93%
    Economics 92%
    Chemistry 86%
    I'm predicted 4As for A2

I am wondering wether I do stand much of a chance in getting into these two unis or if I should not get my hopes up?

I would very much appreciate any comments. Thanks
    Hi I would say your grades were typical of many LSE and Cambridge econ applicants. And yes some have more e.g. 6 AS-levels or 5 A-levels. LSE like GCSE A* grades. e.g. 6 minimum unless school rubbish. But I would not be surprised if Cambridge made you an offer.

If you want to know the tariff distribution of successfull LSE and Cambridge econ students then chek out TAELT 2009 spreadsheet version (link in my sig). But as you have applied now not sure it will help you much.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Your GCSEs are fine for Cambridge, perhaps a little low for LSE but definitely worth a shot with a good personal statement. AS marks are similarly a little low for Cambridge, but again it's definitely worth applying. Good luck.

EDIT: Just re-read and noticed that you've already applied. In that case all that applies is 'Good luck'. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You haven't done Further Maths. Not sure if your post's meant to be an ego trip or something, but I suspect they might look at that and your GCSEs and might not get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    dammit, im applying to those 2 too with 4 A* 5 A and a C...did NOT know bout the LSE A* policy! ahh damn.

ReputationRep:
    mstawarz1, you are fine, stand a decent chance at both unis.

But h4r5h, you definitely stand a chance at cam, probably not at lse. Even i say 4A* is too little.

ReputationRep:
    wow panda-size you got LSE? congrats! i looked at your profile btw and you had 5 A*'s; what do you think was your "extra factor" so to speak; which distinguished you from the rest of the applicants?? very interested to know what makes an LSE student...

ReputationRep:
    I am not really sure. But I wikipediaed lse and got what the institution was about as well as what the subject is about. Really show your passion and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.