Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Likelihood of a new political party rising too power? Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Did anyone ever watch 'The Amazing Mrs Pritchard'? There is the possibility of a party like the one depicted in the series, although the rise to power any new parties have would be more muted in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    The last time one of the top 2 parties was replaced (Labour replacing the Liberals in the 1920s) was due to the fact that the entire votership of the country had been drastically expanded a few years earlier allowing the working classes to vote. Labour was the working classes party so it is unsurprising that it should come to prominence.

So now we have 3 parties and some very interesting politics. However, inevitably, in a FPTP system, a 2 party system will develop as politics polarises, and the middle party, in this case the Liberals, loses voters to the other 2 parties and becomes the new 3rd party.

I can't see this happening anytime soon. The only way the current Labour-Tory dominance will change is if we no longer have a FPTP system (assuming neither Labour nor the Tories disillusion their voters so much that they actually vote Lib Dem, Green, or UKIP) and the only way I can see us losing FPTP, is if either Labour or the Tories are forced to give something to the Lib Dems (ie. proportional representation). This I can only see happening in a Labour minority government which isn't out of the question. This then forms a coalition with the Lib Dems, who then gain more power, and the two party dominance is broken as voting for the thrid party is no longer seen as a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesClough)
    The only way the current Labour-Tory dominance will change is if we no longer have a FPTP system (assuming neither Labour nor the Tories disillusion their voters so much that they actually vote Lib Dem, Green, or UKIP) and the only way I can see us losing FPTP, is if either Labour or the Tories are forced to give something to the Lib Dems (ie. proportional representation). This I can only see happening in a Labour minority government which isn't out of the question. This then forms a coalition with the Lib Dems, who then gain more power, and the two party dominance is broken as voting for the thrid party is no longer seen as a waste.
    I don't think Labour would be daft enough. At least, I hope not.

They'd be giving up the ability to form a government by themselves in the longer term, all to clutch onto power in the short term.

Wouldn't put it past them, though...

ReputationRep:
    What if the Tories win a minority, and decline government leaving a larger Lib-Lab alliance in power?

I very much doubt either the Conservatives or Labour would give the Liberal Democrats PR for forming a coalition government or voting with them to allow them to form a minority government. They're well aware that the Lib Dems poll very well over the average of the country, and they'd be giving up long-term security in exchange for control for a single 5-year period or less. The Lib Dems would be willing to settle for less than PR, so I really don't see it happening.

ReputationRep:
    Of course the Tories wouldn't, but I think Labour might, in a few years time, after the Blair-Brown era, but it really depends on who comes into power next within the party. To be honest I'm hoping more than anything else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.