Turn on thread page Beta

Likelihood of a new political party rising too power? watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Did anyone ever watch 'The Amazing Mrs Pritchard'? There is the possibility of a party like the one depicted in the series, although the rise to power any new parties have would be more muted in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    The last time one of the top 2 parties was replaced (Labour replacing the Liberals in the 1920s) was due to the fact that the entire votership of the country had been drastically expanded a few years earlier allowing the working classes to vote. Labour was the working classes party so it is unsurprising that it should come to prominence.

So now we have 3 parties and some very interesting politics. However, inevitably, in a FPTP system, a 2 party system will develop as politics polarises, and the middle party, in this case the Liberals, loses voters to the other 2 parties and becomes the new 3rd party.

I can't see this happening anytime soon. The only way the current Labour-Tory dominance will change is if we no longer have a FPTP system (assuming neither Labour nor the Tories disillusion their voters so much that they actually vote Lib Dem, Green, or UKIP) and the only way I can see us losing FPTP, is if either Labour or the Tories are forced to give something to the Lib Dems (ie. proportional representation). This I can only see happening in a Labour minority government which isn't out of the question. This then forms a coalition with the Lib Dems, who then gain more power, and the two party dominance is broken as voting for the thrid party is no longer seen as a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesClough)
    The only way the current Labour-Tory dominance will change is if we no longer have a FPTP system (assuming neither Labour nor the Tories disillusion their voters so much that they actually vote Lib Dem, Green, or UKIP) and the only way I can see us losing FPTP, is if either Labour or the Tories are forced to give something to the Lib Dems (ie. proportional representation). This I can only see happening in a Labour minority government which isn't out of the question. This then forms a coalition with the Lib Dems, who then gain more power, and the two party dominance is broken as voting for the thrid party is no longer seen as a waste.
    I don't think Labour would be daft enough. At least, I hope not.

They'd be giving up the ability to form a government by themselves in the longer term, all to clutch onto power in the short term.

Wouldn't put it past them, though...

ReputationRep:
    What if the Tories win a minority, and decline government leaving a larger Lib-Lab alliance in power?

I very much doubt either the Conservatives or Labour would give the Liberal Democrats PR for forming a coalition government or voting with them to allow them to form a minority government. They're well aware that the Lib Dems poll very well over the average of the country, and they'd be giving up long-term security in exchange for control for a single 5-year period or less. The Lib Dems would be willing to settle for less than PR, so I really don't see it happening.

ReputationRep:
    Of course the Tories wouldn't, but I think Labour might, in a few years time, after the Blair-Brown era, but it really depends on who comes into power next within the party. To be honest I'm hoping more than anything else.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.