Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick and tired of wearing glasses and contact lenses, so parents suggested eye laser surgery.. I'm enthralled by the idea! but my mum's assistant went to the doctor to ask about the proceedure, and he told her that women who undergo eye laser could go blind during birth (as in giving labour)??? is this true/has it been verified? are there any other risks, such as this?

ReputationRep:
    So just don't have kids/ have a caesarean.

ReputationRep:
    I look better with my glasses than without them so i'm keeping mine!

ReputationRep:
    My brother had laser eye surgery, was bedridden for two weeks and in total agony. Still can't see properly.x

ReputationRep:
    Ortho-K

Sounds over the top, but it has literally changed my life. It's not cheap (about £35/month) but it is completely reversible and safe and means you don't need glasses or contacts during the day. I am so pleased with the results and would not consider laser surgery until results are more conclusive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em165)
    My brother had laser eye surgery, was bedridden for two weeks and in total agony. Still can't see properly.x
    I had mines in India, it cost me like £500 for the best eye surgery doctor in India, probaly one of the best in the world, on the latest equipment.

I was watching TV on the same day of my surgery lol, only like for 10 secs

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I think my bro had to have a slightly different treatment to the more common one which was a bit more invasive apparently. They said he couldn't have the normal procedure done because his eyeballs are too close to his eyelids or something so he had to have a different one. Anyhoo, he said he'd never felt pain like it and although his eyesight has improved he's had nowhere near the level of improvement he was hoping for.x

ReputationRep:
    You need to be 21...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    You need to be 21...
    is it not 18?

(Original post by profseverus)
    is it not 18?
    They can do it when you're 18 or older, but they won't very often because prescriptions still haven't stabilised at that point. I tried to get it done over last summer and got bounced for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    They can do it when you're 18 or older, but they won't very often because prescriptions still haven't stabilised at that point. I tried to get it done over last summer and got bounced for that reason.
    oh i see.. i think i've had the same prescription for about 2-3 years..

ReputationRep:
    My parents had their eyes done in India. It's been about 3 years now and nothing has happened to them and their vision is perfect. I wanted to get it done too, but apparently, i have to wait until i am 21 and "my eyes are fully developed".

I want to get it done ASAP, i hate wearing glasses too... It feels so wierd...

ReputationRep:
    I have my consultation for Laser Eye Surgery on the 24th Nov, and can assure you, you've been told an absolute lie!! What a load of ********.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell does getting your cornea corrected affect birth?

That's like saying "if I get stabbed in the eyes and go blind, my child will also be blind"

O______O

Laser eye surgery isn't 100% yet, so I won't get it. I'm fine with contacts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I have my consultation for Laser Eye Surgery on the 24th Nov, and can assure you, you've been told an absolute lie!! What a load of ********.
    Who can have LASIK?

You have to be aged 21 or over with healthy eyes to be suitable for LASIK. Your vision needs to have been stable (no changes in prescription) for at least a year before the procedure.
    http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/lasik.html

ReputationRep:
    Why are you quoting me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Why are you quoting me?
    Oh, my bad. You posted after the 18/21 debate, and I assumed that was what you were referring to rather than the blind during childbirth question.

ReputationRep:
    My brother had laser eye surgery and now has 20/20 vision. It went really well and even though he had to go back to have one of the eyes redone there was no extra cost. In the case of laser eye surgery use an expensive clinic rather than a cheaper one that advertises on TV.. "pay peanuts get monkeys".. to make sure you get good service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    Oh, my bad. You posted after the 18/21 debate, and I assumed that was what you were referring to rather than the blind during childbirth question.
    Ah, no. I know the most respectable places will only do over 21's - the more 'high street' companies will pretty much do anyone over 18, if they're getting paid tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Think about if carefully, it may do you no good, as it depends on your eyes. My sister had it done and still has to wear contacts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.