Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will probably get it done, Ive only started wearing glasses in the past 6 months for driving and computer work and its a right pain. I lose my glasses at least three times a day :o:

Only one of my eyes is bad, so it shouldnt be too expensive :ninja2:

ReputationRep:
    you should really only get laser eye surgery if your eyes are bad, not for something like superdaz is saying as it could make you eyesight worse than it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    you should really only get laser eye surgery if your eyes are bad, not for something like superdaz is saying as it could make you eyesight worse than it is.
    Generally, laser eye surgery is given to people who they know it will benefit them. It's not often it 'makes your eyesight worse'

ReputationRep:
    I do have it bad

My face is too beautiful to be covered up with glasses :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Generally, laser eye surgery is given to people who they know it will benefit them. It's not often it 'makes your eyesight worse'
    I know that. It can happen though. Know someone what had it done twice and they still have very bad eyesight, as it can't benefit then further.

ReputationRep:
    I have to wear glasses all the time - I feel helpless without them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    I do have it bad

My face is too beautiful to be covered up with glasses :sad:
    that's not bad compared to some who are nearly blind and who really need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profseverus)
    I have to wear glasses all the time - I feel helpless without them!
    same here I wonn't recongnize anyone in the street before I'm less than 2 m away so for me it's just not an option to not wear them I'm gonna get laser surgery at some point though cause it's really bugging me

ReputationRep:
    Think if people really need them like the people who have to have them on all the time need it, if it will benefit them.

ReputationRep:
    I would be careful as a friend's father had it done (reputable [and v.expensive!] Harley Street Clinic) and the laser slipped and he is now blind in one eye.

ReputationRep:
    Mistkaes can happen, and it's rare, would see an eye specalist if your going to get it done, well see a few and see what they think. Wouldn't go and see an optition though as they don't carry out the surgery, see more than one specalist to get different opinions and then you'll know if you need it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I miss my eyesight enough as it is, let alone put it at risk to further damage.

ReputationRep:
    Ewww I've seen it on TV... once you've seen it you don't want it anymore!

ReputationRep:
    This is me speculating..not sure if its true. Correct if i'm wrong... laser eye surgery can only done be done once in life..

At a young age to think of laser eye surgery...its a bit early for that isn't it? wouldn't be ideal to wait out.. true you say your fed up with glasses and contact lenses.. but your still young. who knows you may suit them in future to come.. laser eye surgery should be the last thing to do id say. Try changing appearance as in...hair style? the type of glasses you wear.. surely contact lenses is good enough..

i never had laser eye surgery..but who knows if there might be side effects.. as for laser eye surgery..it makes me think of EYE featuring Jessica Alba.

ReputationRep:
    Know someone who had it done twice as a baby. That's not true.

ReputationRep:
    Know someone who had it done twice as a baby. That's not true.
    thanks, wasn't sure if it was correct or not. still twice as a baby...oucch

ReputationRep:
    I know. the lad was on tv earlier in the year, but for another thing. Although it was Addenbrookes and they are quite good for eye surgery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)
    This is me speculating..not sure if its true. Correct if i'm wrong... laser eye surgery can only done be done once in life..

At a young age to think of laser eye surgery...its a bit early for that isn't it? wouldn't be ideal to wait out.. true you say your fed up with glasses and contact lenses.. but your still young. who knows you may suit them in future to come.. laser eye surgery should be the last thing to do id say. Try changing appearance as in...hair style? the type of glasses you wear.. surely contact lenses is good enough..

i never had laser eye surgery..but who knows if there might be side effects.. as for laser eye surgery..it makes me think of EYE featuring Jessica Alba.
    I don't know if you wear lenses but if you don't I musst tell you they become a pain after more than 4-5 hours for me I need to go take them out humidifie them and my eyes and put them back in. And glasses are not fun at all I mean you cann't do any contactsport with them and many other sports are also impossible : it's not fun to have your vision blured by sweat on the glasses

ReputationRep:
    Can you get it done to partially improve your sight? My optician told me that my prescription was too complicated to be a candidate for it (however this was a couple of years ago so...I may be able to get it done now with better technologies) but I'd like to possibly have it done in the future. It's not a vanity thing for me, I don't mind wearing glasses but prefer contacts as I get better "all around" vision, but I just reaaaaaallllyyy wish I could see better, my vision with no corrective lenses is absolutely terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd revive this thread

Has anyone on TSR these days actually had it done? Does anyone know the success rates and just how common it is that say during the procedure... you go blind? I'm terrified of paying for it, getting knocked out by the gas then waking up blind... omg it just seems like a horror story!! :woo: :eek3:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.