The Student Room Group

AQA Biology as level

Hi guys, I would highly appreciate it if anyone can answer this question. Thank you!

Describe how the production of mRNA in a eukaryote cell is different from the production of mRNA in a prokaryote cell
Good morn!

Where is mRNA normally produced in a well-known situation i.e. in eukaryotes? Go on, I am sure you know! Yes you are getting there in the nucleus, but specifically transcription occurs mainly in the nucleoli.

Ok next line of thought:-
Do prokaryotes have a nucleus??
So where does transcription occur in these minute organisms?

How many marks is this Q, pls and what level r u studying at? Cos there is more detail for a degree in biology, but if you are doing A levels, I don't want to you to visit confused.com :colondollar: by giving you high power info!

M
Reply 2
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Good morn!

Where is mRNA normally produced in a well-known situation i.e. in eukaryotes? Go on, I am sure you know! Yes you are getting there in the nucleus, but specifically transcription occurs mainly in the nucleoli.

Ok next line of thought:-
Do prokaryotes have a nucleus??
So where does transcription occur in these minute organisms?

How many marks is this Q, pls and what level r u studying at? Cos there is more detail for a degree in biology, but if you are doing A levels, I don't want to you to visit confused.com :colondollar: by giving you high power info!

M

Hi, thank you for that explanation it makes so much more sense and this question has 2 marks so not a lot, it's also A-level. :u:
Original post by mormo
Hi, thank you for that explanation it makes so much more sense and this question has 2 marks so not a lot, it's also A-level. :u:

My pleasure!
If Q Tysm for the rep - it motivates me to spend time + effort to help younger students! If Q is worth 2 marks, you will need one more point/factor/idea/reason/bullet point/difference [sry general exam tactic listed here! - for this Q it is "difference"]:-

Pick from these and check in your book[s] [I am not sure what is in different boards' specs].

a) bacterial transcription & translation occur simultaneously in time and space WHEREAS in eukaryotes transcription occurs in the nucleus B4 translation, which occurs in the cytoplasm/ribosomes/RER [oc]
b) Bacterial transcription requires only one type of RNA polymerase [eukaryotes have 3 types]

M
Reply 4
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
My pleasure!
If Q Tysm for the rep - it motivates me to spend time + effort to help younger students! If Q is worth 2 marks, you will need one more point/factor/idea/reason/bullet point/difference [sry general exam tactic listed here! - for this Q it is "difference"]:-

Pick from these and check in your book:undefined: [I am not sure what is in different boards' specs].

a) bacterial transcription & translation occur simultaneously in time and space WHEREAS in eukaryotes transcription occurs in the nucleus B4 translation, which occurs in the cytoplasm/ribosomes/RER [oc]
b) Bacterial transcription requires only one type of RNA polymerase [eukaryotes have 3 types]

M

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending