Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    DFranklin and many others from the maths forum get my vote... but then I'm biased

ReputationRep:
    I know that some of the people from that Maths Olympiad programme go on forums, they might come on here too. Though they didn't win, the Chinese people did. So...if you can find them, then they probably would win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano)
    Go on...
    Well, i'm not going to tell you my books, there would be some sort of scandal if the media got hold of it (with my history on this website etc), and you lot would know way to much personal info. about me.

ReputationRep:
    That's the stupidest thing I have heard in a while.
    No it isn't, he's right. You can hardly use your criteria to determine 'cleverness' because its of limited comparative value. People in tribal Africa will hardly be writing a book on the history of fjord settlements will they?

ReputationRep:
    Go on...
    Self published?

ReputationRep:
    Jan's academic record is on the Internet. Staggering. In fact, he's all over the net. But for someone clearly with the intention of "getting press", he comes off quite wooden most of the time. No offence Jan, ofcourse. Of all his achievements and statements, the biggest thing to catch my eye and hence my respect is his goal in life to change the teaching methods at our academic institutions; making them less about taking in information and more about helping them to think independently and create that information
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That's the stupidest thing I have heard in a while.
    Lol true about the africa bit... my mind wandered from tsr to clever people in general... IM TIRED! They could have like coconut laptops?!

EDIT - i was just making the point that if you judge 'cleverness' on books written, or winning maths competitions, you miss out a huge amount of people.

But the point about maths competitions etc still stands. Why would that make you 'clever' - i mean what does clever even mean?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    I think they can offer an indication.
    Many subjects that simply require learning facts provides no indication

ReputationRep:
    Erm, no; I have no 'objective moral code' in the sense that it's not absolute by the very nature that it's formed using my own reasoning and priorities within such a reasoning. In the moral equation, the argument against discrimination far outweighs the idea that white people must stick together. The former is actually based on reasoning (human emotions are involved - should we treat other humans differently purely because they were born, by chance, with a different skin colour? how would I like to be treated in that circumstance - reference to the Golden Rule), whilst the latter is merely an inherent feeling which you have. You shouldn't enforce nor encourage discrimination purely because you don't like black people (people, incidentally, who have feelings like humans such as me and you).

You make the distinction between family and race in terms of the potential effects of inbreeding. That much I welcome. There is a difference between family and race. Yet you still need to provide suitable justification (other than an almost irrational response or feeling from inside you) that similarities in genes (in terms of race) should therefore suggest that everyone must feel a sense of kinship (which they don't) and must solely associate with their own race (which they don't want to).

Your concluding paragraph serves as evidence that your whole argument is merely based around your racist instincts. To save the tears of rejection from many humans who dared to be born a different race, I don't think you're "instinct" is a healthy one to be promoted. White people, as individuals, can prosper amongst other races. They won't die. You're using language misleadingly here. So I suggest you reconsider your views on this front.

ReputationRep:
    How did this thread turn into a race war?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. I think the thread needs to stop being derailed. I'm ending my input. I doubt Pavlik will, however, end his crusade to fight for white nationalism. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    I am!

ReputationRep:
    Wth...what has race got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    At a guess either Profesh or Poica? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    At a guess, I don't really give a **** and I actually think you're all *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    No it isn't, he's right. You can hardly use your criteria to determine 'cleverness' because its of limited comparative value. People in tribal Africa will hardly be writing a book on the history of fjord settlements will they?
    Yeah I agree with that, but the point is that I wasn't trying to start a debate on what intelligence is or what makes someone clever. I just was interested to know if anyone on TSR has won acclaim for anything like publishing a book etc. I am sure you would agree that a young published author is likely to be clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Lol true about the africa bit... my mind wandered from tsr to clever people in general... IM TIRED! They could have like coconut laptops?!

EDIT - i was just making the point that if you judge 'cleverness' on books written, or winning maths competitions, you miss out a huge amount of people.

But the point about maths competitions etc still stands. Why would that make you 'clever' - i mean what does clever even mean?!
    Sorry for calling you stupid btw

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, are there any geniuses on here? Any successful authors or world renowned mathematicians?
    the academics who read this forum.

I would say Chemistboy and cexy

ReputationRep:
    What?! No one from the H+R forums being nominated. Shock.

But in all seriousness, for a quest for the 'cleverest' person on TSR your best bet would be to do what most people have said and scout the D+D forums.

I personally don't post on there; I just read it from time to time; but you can spot the people there 'clever' enough to make an argument over a subject and convey it articulately in a post.

However, I myself am a mathematics student and should give some credit to those over in the Science forums. Some of the questions thrown at them are beyond comprehension for 99% of the readers on here and they just make mince meat out of them. And sure this may be down to education which others may argue is completely separate from intelligence but you must be clever to even begin understanding the logic involved in some of those subjects.

ReputationRep:
    As a person who only ever reads the shortest posts on a thread I'd go with Profesh as well.

But I'm not sure that's a very good recommendation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.