...As if somebody said me LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    ...As if somebody said me LOL
    Oh Lord no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    Many subjects that simply require learning facts provides no indication
    Yes, but A Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and to a lesser extent Chemistry (I can only speak from experience, I'm sure there are more) require you to learn concepts and then apply it to a given situation.

While it is very easy to pass GCSE's well just by swallowing a textbook, I think that A Levels require you to actually understand what's going on in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Yes, but A Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and to a lesser extent Chemistry (I can only speak from experience, I'm sure there are more) require you to learn concepts and then apply it to a given situation.

While it is very easy to pass GCSE's well just by swallowing a textbook, I think that A Levels require you to actually understand what's going on in the first place.
    Maths, for me, is simply about learning how to use formulas - after that there's little else. Chemistry A Level is exactly the same, just reading a revision guide. Funnily enough, yesterday my chemistry class was talking about how they actually know very little chemistry; they have simply learned from a revision guide. I grant you physics requires some application of knowledge yes. Further maths I have not done before.

ReputationRep:
    Generalebriety

ReputationRep:
    I'm the current Swiss -16s Debating Champion -lol.

ReputationRep:
    it's not me that's for sure, i'm alarmingly stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel Freedman)
    Everyone in the maths forum.
    I wouldn't stretch that far...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    I wouldn't stretch that far...
    You're quite bright yourself.

ReputationRep:
    With out a doubt the poster of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)

For the most part, A-Levels are still memory tests.

I'd say the subject that tests the brain the most is without a doubt Further Maths; but if you have a good teacher and a small class it's not too hard to do fine in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristanperry)
    Sorry, rather - correlation doesn't necessitate causation.

Obviously intelligences helps with exams in that you can take in the work easier than others (and thus have a better opportunity to gain better grades), however exams aren't about intelligence or knowledge of work (up to A-levels). They are purely about exam technique and how well a candidate meets the criteria of a mark scheme. Our exam system is flawed in that respect (although no system would be perfect, however the Polish law system at degree level sounds pretty good - having mostly oral exams)

That's why some of the smartest people of all time struggled to get into a good academia institution. They didn't meet the criteria, despite being absolutely brilliant.
    Thanks to whoever left me neg. rep for this post (especially considering it called me stupid)... whoever left it, please have the guts to own up to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    I'm the current Swiss -16s Debating Champion -lol.
    Prove it, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristanperry)
    Thanks to whoever left me neg. rep for this post (especially considering it called me stupid)... whoever left it, please have the guts to own up to it.

I didn't neg you for it, even though it was me you were replying to.

I don't agree overly though - a really intelligent person shouldn't struggle with the A Level system if they are very intelligent, as it is mainly learning and a small bit of applying. I can't imagine that's too tough for a real intellectual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I didn't neg you for it, even though it was me you were replying to.

I don't agree overly though - a really intelligent person shouldn't struggle with the A Level system if they are very intelligent, as it is mainly learning and a small bit of applying. I can't imagine that's too tough for a real intellectual.
    What about early A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    What about early A levels?
    Well I don't think they're overly relevant to my point, but if someone takes them early, then it's probably harder for them to get a high grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Well I don't think they're overly relevant to my point, but if someone takes them early, then it's probably harder for them to get a high grade.
    Yipee, I'm special. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pavlik)
    By objective, I mean that it gives equal weight to the reproductive and survival interests of others as it does to your own. In the context of organisms in general, and humans who are not modern white men, this universal altruism is an aberration, and not something that I wish to participate in.
    Not precisely, no. Survival interests are independent from race. There's little reason to solely apply the 'Golden Rule' amongst one portion of human life unless you believe in performing one moral act towards one human and less moral acts towards others.

Instinct is far older than thought, and far less corruptible. I do not perceive my racist instincts to be a pathology that needs suppressing, any more than my instincts to defend my close family and treat them preferentially are a pathology.
    That's quite clearly wrong. Thought can be based upon reason and logic. "Instinct" does not have these components behind it. Suppose that somebody instinctually does not like cotton wool (and such phobias exist) then they are, by definition, acting irrationally. I have the instinctual feeling of revenge, but it does not mean I shouldn't supress my feelings and instincts with reasoned thought.

Prosper in this instance means to reproduce and not to be displaced from their territories. I don't think that the indigenous Americans or Australians have prospered, despite the fact that they now live in very vibrant and diverse surroundings, with advanced economies.
    Well, people will still be able to reproduce and live on land. I'd also say that America is a lot more modernised and better off now than has been in the past. The same applies to Australia and Britain. Standards of living, our vibrant fashion trends, our ability to purchase expensive products - these are all benefits to modern societies which the comparitively closed economies of countries from the past did not see.

Perhaps it would the intelligent man who would employ their reasoned thoughts rather than mere instinct?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.