esp wen it ben dn by ur mum lol

sukkr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    more importantly, who is the richest?
    Aha. I say make a thread yo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I'd say there was causation. Their intelligence causes their high grades. I don't really see how that couldn't be causation... what else could be causing more intelligent people to get higher grades on average? I can't think of any other factors that would be significant.
    Sorry, rather - correlation doesn't necessitate causation.

Obviously intelligences helps with exams in that you can take in the work easier than others (and thus have a better opportunity to gain better grades), however exams aren't about intelligence or knowledge of work (up to A-levels). They are purely about exam technique and how well a candidate meets the criteria of a mark scheme. Our exam system is flawed in that respect (although no system would be perfect, however the Polish law system at degree level sounds pretty good - having mostly oral exams)

That's why some of the smartest people of all time struggled to get into a good academia institution. They didn't meet the criteria, despite being absolutely brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    the cleverest person on tsr probably doesn't spend much time on it because they don't let it distract them so easily. And they probably have a decent social life along with being successful in their carreer/education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    ur faec iz ov no us 2 me bruv

esp wen it ben dn by ur mum lol

sukkr
    thats not fair

im so much smarter than u cuz im goin 2 oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano)
    Seriously, are there any geniuses on here? Any successful authors or world renowned mathematicians?
    most of those people who are 'geniuses' are only book smart

im more then sure most of them lack the basic skills to survive one day in the REAL world.. away from half term, summer holidays and exams.

besides with threads like
    'am i slut?'
    and
    'how old are you and how many people have you slept with'

what the **** ever gave you the idea that there were smart people on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristanperry)
    Sorry, rather - correlation doesn't necessitate causation.

Obviously intelligences helps with exams in that you can take in the work easier than others (and thus have a better opportunity to gain better grades), however exams aren't about intelligence or knowledge of work (up to A-levels). They are purely about exam technique and how well a candidate meets the criteria of a mark scheme. Our exam system is flawed in that respect (although no system would be perfect, however the Polish law system at degree level sounds pretty good - having mostly oral exams)

That's why some of the smartest people of all time struggled to get into a good academia institution. They didn't meet the criteria, despite being absolutely brilliant.
    Yep, my English teacher continuously drives into us every lesson how essential work is with school exams no matter how intelligent you are. I have to say, the man is a flaming genius (albeit very eccentric and a real laugh), one of the most intelligent people I've met, but he always makes references to his school life and how poor his O levels were because he was constantly drinking and shagging. Then he bucked up his act and ended up getting a First at undergrad and a PhD.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lord Foul)
    Probably this guy http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/memb...oster&t=720401
    Hes joking lol... he .... MUST....... BE!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my English teacher continuously drives into us every lesson how essential work is with school exams no matter how intelligent you are. I have to say, the man is a flaming genius (albeit very eccentric and a real laugh), one of the most intelligent people I've met, but he always makes references to his school life and how poor his O levels were because he was constantly drinking and shagging. Then he bucked up his act and ended up getting a First at undergrad and a PhD.
    Is working hard really important though?
    this - and I ended up getting all As

ReputationRep:
    I've learned that the hard way, but it's not drinking that's the problem, but general laziness, apathy, video games, and the internet. I've been trying to get rid of my bad habits, and to some extent I've succeeded, but there's still a long way to go. Cost me one or two grades in most cases. I'm very intelligent in some ways, and very stupid in others. =/

The important parts, what I miss out above all else, are revision, technique, and frequently reading around the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Where the mentions of the Mathmos? DFranklin, Generalebriety etc. are gifted at Maths. But I'm gonna cop out and say a lot of people are intelligent on these forums :awesome:

(Original post by BrightGirl)
    Your sig is awesome. I know i've seen it before...which music vid is it from?
    Just by Radiohead

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R5X7HKxpiQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I've learned that the hard way, but it's not drinking that's the problem, but general laziness, apathy, video games, and the internet. I've been trying to get rid of my bad habits, and to some extent I've succeeded, but there's still a long way to go. Cost me 1 or two grades in most cases. I'm very intelligent in some ways, and very stupid in others. =/
    Yep, video games are my downfall too. And I just got a psx emulator on my computer with chrono cross and xenogears. Will work ever be done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano)
    Seriously, are there any geniuses on here? Any successful authors or world renowned mathematicians?

Me i am so clever i dont even know what 8*8 is no seriosuly i dont ... :p: im a thick **** lol so naaa not me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I've learned that the hard way, but it's not drinking that's the problem, but general laziness, apathy, video games, and the internet. I've been trying to get rid of my bad habits, and to some extent I've succeeded, but there's still a long way to go. Cost me one or two grades in most cases. I'm very intelligent in some ways, and very stupid in others. =/

The important parts, what I miss out above all else, are revision, technique, and frequently reading around the subject.
    I'm just the same.

ReputationRep:
    Grades do not indicate intelligence

(Original post by Mr Snips)
    Grades do not indicate intelligence
    I think they can offer an indication.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Swayum)
    There are plenty of admissions tutors that roam these websites (including from Oxford + Cambridge) - my money would be on them.
    ooooh who?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not. I just had a retarded writing style until last year.
    I'm just not quick enough, and I don't work enough. So I'm **** in exams, but coursework is much easier...when I do it...

I should probably be doing some work now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.