The Student Room Group

I cant decide on what to study at Uni..

As a child i was simple minded and wanted to be a builder, then changed it to architecture when i realised i was smart enough. I then changed to animation, then engineering then back to architecture, then to surveying as I thought architecture was too hard, and now I just got my A level and have gotten crazy grades thought to do Computer Science as thats where the future money is at. I have taken a gap year and need to apply pretty soon but now that I have started to learn how to code want to change to something more artsy as ive been an artsy person my whole life. With my A-levels (maths, economics and product design) there are so many industries I can go into and I just cant decide.
Original post by by2004
As a child i was simple minded and wanted to be a builder, then changed it to architecture when i realised i was smart enough. I then changed to animation, then engineering then back to architecture, then to surveying as I thought architecture was too hard, and now I just got my A level and have gotten crazy grades thought to do Computer Science as thats where the future money is at. I have taken a gap year and need to apply pretty soon but now that I have started to learn how to code want to change to something more artsy as ive been an artsy person my whole life. With my A-levels (maths, economics and product design) there are so many industries I can go into and I just cant decide.

If engineering and design is your thing, consider the design tripos at Cambridge (I don't know what "crazy high grades" mean).
The other type of design that you could look at is industrial design, which is essentially designing products.
If you want to combine building and engineering, civil engineering would be a good choice, but you will need physics for that.

I'm not an advocate of doing degrees for careers that don't need degrees, but you could look at UI/UX design as well as computer art/design. These tend to be reasonably high paid careers (you won't go hungry essentially). However, you can get into these industries with a course from college if you don't already have the skills set.
Most of the design industry can be high paying, so you don't have to worry about whether you're being paid enough. I would be more concerned about the portfolio and whether you have the right skills.

My personal starting point would be for me to look at my Myer Briggs results (or something similar) and look at the recommended careers section. A good career test would should you a variety of careers for your personality type across different industries. So, I would recommend looking at possible recommendations under the arts section.
The disclaimer with personality tests is that they're more like art forms than actual science, so you should take their results with a pinch of salt. Having said that, they often give a good foundation to work from. Other than that, you should do quite a bit of introspection and self reflection.

If you need to check the specific requirements for certain careers, you can google the career profile or use a reliable database such as National Career Service to do your research on the necessary qualifications: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers
I'm pretty sure with architecture they now often make use of Game Engines quite a bit for visualization (clients are starting to demand seeing projects virtually)
So, maybe check out some architecture degrees that have a focus on this. Also google Unreal Engine for Architecture.

So, lets say you do the architecture degree. You're not limited just to that when you get your degree. You could go down a career path that leads to game design or some computing related area. To be honest, once you have the degree you can do conversion courses to many different specializations.
It is not the case that you do a degree and you are stuck forever down that single career path. A degree ANY degree opens up many opportunities for you.

I am not saying just pick any degree by the way. I am just trying ease you mind a bit about picking the 'right' degree. Just go for the one you are most passionate about. It is an important choice for sure, but do not see it so much as something that will dictate the rest of your life. There are people here that have done say Criminology degrees that now have a career in Tech or Art or the civil service. Having a degree, you will find; opens up many doors.

But for advice. I'd be looking at some computer related art degree maybe game design, with architecture, if that is possible. Because you get to build worlds but your also creating things like pillars, roads, doors etc which is very 'arty' lol.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by by2004

I ain’t reading alat little bro, sound like you still simple minded 🥱

Quick Reply

Latest