Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi. well i am not sure if this is more of a moan than an advice request, but i'm asking anyway. sorry if it turns into too much of a moan.

last friday after 3 weeks doing blood tests (1 each week), i was told i have diabetes. the dr put it down as type 1 on her system, but the nurse told me she disagreed and it should have said type 2 (because i have pcos and am overweight). so i am assuming she is right and i have type 2. but for the last week i have just ignored it. for a couple of days i did try to eat healthier, but tbh the diet sugested isnt that different to the one i already followed. my diet seems to have got worse since i was diagnosed. like i had a chocolate bar on the way home from placement today, when usually i generally wouldnt have. i had a ready meal for tea last night instead of cooking something like i usually would.

why am i doing this to myself i have no idea! i am just annoyed and kind of sad at myself that i have given myself this i guess. because it is linked with obesity and eating too much sugar, and yes i am overweight. though i have been trying to lose weight for ages, it just doesnt happen, the doc said to try harder and it is sometimes to do with the pcos. maybe i am just a bit sad that i know people who eat much worse then me, are much more overweight than me, and they havent got it. (i'm only talking about type 2 btw dont get confused with type 1 thats different - i dont want people to think that all diabetes is caused by being overweight cos type 1 isnt)

i guess firstly what i am wanting advice onr eally is how can i tell my family about this? they will be annoyed at me - have a go at me i guess because it is probably mainly my fault for being overweight. my friends dont need to know. i dont think i could tell them either.

secondly - how can i pull myself together and sort this out. the nurse just said to me "follow this diet sheet - plenty of starchy foods/carbs with every meal and your bg levels will come down. see you in 3 months to test". i dont see how doing that would help though - eating pretty much the same as i already do, except cutting out a chocolate bar a week, and the odd ready meal. plus, i thought carbs got turned into sugar - so why is it so important for me to increase how many of those i eat? if i got diabetes from eating this way, i really dont see how my blood sugar levels are miraculously going to go down from me following that recomended diet, and no meds, no treatment etc is required. plus i have not been told to test my blood so i have no idea what my levels are actually like. just a "now we've given you a diet sheet and said we'll test your blood in 3 months time we've ticked all our boxes so that means your diabetes is fine. is this the standard treatment given to type 2 cos i have far too many questions that werent answered by anyone.

man i am sorry that turned into a long moan. ta in adfvance for any advice can be given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    secondly - how can i pull myself together and sort this out. the nurse just said to me "follow this diet sheet - plenty of starchy foods/carbs with every meal and your bg levels will come down. see you in 3 months to test". i dont see how doing that would help though - eating pretty much the same as i already do, except cutting out a chocolate bar a week, and the odd ready meal. plus, i thought carbs got turned into sugar - so why is it so important for me to increase how many of those i eat? if i got diabetes from eating this way, i really dont see how my blood sugar levels are miraculously going to go down from me following that recomended diet, and no meds, no treatment etc is required. plus i have not been told to test my blood so i have no idea what my levels are actually like. just a "now we've given you a diet sheet and said we'll test your blood in 3 months time we've ticked all our boxes so that means your diabetes is fine. is this the standard treatment given to type 2 cos i have far too many questions that werent answered by anyone.
    starchy carbs are more complex sugars so they get broken down slower and mean there's less spiking of the levels of sugar in your blood. Its the high levels of sugar in your blood that cause high levels of insulin release and then your cells to become resistant to the insulin.

different carbs are better than others. so while you may have been eating ok before, you can improve that further- instead of normal pasta, rice and bread, eat wholewheat.

exercise helps in type 2 diabetes a lot too- because it means you use up some of the excess sugars in your blood. It'll also reduce your weight which will help too.

to be honest, i don't think you need to tell your family, as far as i understand, you're not on medication and you've not been very ill due to this diagnosis before, so don't feel you have to tell them. As far as they're concerned- you've just decided to eat more heathily and exercise more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.