Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Those with seemingly *invisible* disabilities, do you think they are really not noticeable to people who meet you?:confused:

I was wondering...

ReputationRep:
    What kind of disabilities?

ReputationRep:
    Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, SID, AS, ADD, ADHD etc

ReputationRep:
    mine are not noticable - well they are but they are percieved as just weird or odd things about me, or that i am just a bit of a weird /odd /different person. like they are seen as just part of me.

although people that know about the things i have would probably be able to spot it, if they knew me well enough. i am pretty good at covering up for it though and just putting it all on my personality / the way i am than making it seem like it is actually a problem. they dont have to know whats going on in my head.

ReputationRep:
    I've got Asperger's and so far, nobody at uni knows I have it, and two of my housemates are medics.

ReputationRep:
    ADHD... When I'm medicated, nobody notices anything different. I've had people know me for 4 years and not think anything's out of the ordinary. Off my medication, I'm quite excitable and generally very irritating apparently. Much louder too, and can't focus on anything. Mind you, having said that, I suppose that's the point of the medication... Unfortunately, I can't be drugged up on it all day every day, because it stops me sleeping and eating (my stomach churns and I'm physically tired, but my brain says "not hungry" and whirls around while I'm in bed)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    What kind of disabilities?
    A fair number. Learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyscalcula), developmental disorders (dyspraxia, Asperger's, Autism), many medical conditions (diabetes, epilepsy...)

I don't think my dyspraxia (or whatever it is I have) is particularly noticeable. Sure, I may be a little clumsy at times and whatnot but the majority of the population don't know what dyspraxia is and will jsut label it as clumsiness or akwardness. Many of us are, to some extent.

My epilepsy certainly isn't noticeable, at all. On one of the many occasions when I had a seizure waiting for a bus I made a bit of a fool of myself. I had the seizure (just a few seconds of an aura then a headache) then my bus arrived. As I boarded the bus, and gave my destination, I was still quite tired, found it hard to concentrate and my speech was slightly slurred. Then, when getting off the bus, I lost my balance and fell to the ground (I was just so tired and had a blinding headache). I think people just thought I was drunk. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I have Asperger's and ADHD. It's been commented upon that I have a lot of energy, after jumping down a flight of stairs at 7.30AM when everyone else was half-asleep.

Out of that list, I have ADHD and dyslexia.

In person, my dyslexia isn't noticed, but my ADHD definitely is.
    In writing (without spellcheck), my dyslexia is noticed, but my ADHD isn't.
    =)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my dyspraxia (or whatever it is I have) is particularly noticeable. Sure, I may be a little clumsy at times and whatnot but the majority of the population don't know what dyspraxia is and will jsut label it as clumsiness or akwardness. Many of us are, to some extent.
    I would class my Dyspraxia as visible, once you get to know me after a few minutes. I walk quite awkardly, and sometimes my friends have commented that "your face sometimes does the wrong thing(expression)" + I have a tremor in my hands, plus my general poor co ordination.

In fact, today I told by one of my teachers today, within minutes of me walking into his classroom, he knew I had to have dyspraxia!

However, others with the same condition, but milder may not find people notice.

ReputationRep:
    I have Dyspraxia and possibly AS. You might be able to tell that I have some sort of disability from my abnormal gait, perhaps, and the way I speak to people. Very mild, though.

My disability is 'invisible' - Dyslexia.

ReputationRep:
    I have a physical disability that is invisible.

I am certain that people I encounter don't notice mine. People I know quite well do seem to notice to odd idiosyncrasy in my behaviour but I very much doubt they put them down to any disability.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably my dissabilities, dyslexia and dyspraxia, aren't noticeable to the casual observer since I was only diagnosed at 19. Having said that when I was diagnosed my boyfriend and family said 'well we've always known that'. I guess it's only noticeable to people who know me well.

ReputationRep:
    I am diagnosed with Pragmatic Language Impairment and it's most definitely invisible as most people laugh when I tell them about it
    tbh I do dispute the diagnosis though.
    I'm supposed to be registering as a disabled student for mental health issues (am disorganised lol) and ironically they are probably more 'visible', depending on what I wear and whether people associate being underweight with mental health probs/ physical health probs or just randomness.

ReputationRep:
    I have an invisibil disability. It's probably only obvious to certain people if they stare at my face/head for about 10 minutes. (head tilt, uncontrolable head nodding and my eyes wobbling)

I am also very clumsy and have no co-ordination.

ReputationRep:
    nope - well unless it becomes noticeable

Mine are all invisible.
    It makes it difficult sometimes as I say what I have and people just don't believe me or don't think it's that bad.
    I'm now pretty much bedbound and using my wheelchair to go out anywhere outside the house and my uni friend (I've come home from uni as I was too poorly to be there) just don't believe I can be as ill as that. Whenever I'd say I couldn't do something they'd always think I was saying I didn't want to.
    As I'm using my wheelchair now it's obvious there's something wrong with me, but not what. Without that noone really knows I'm ill until I tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amykins)
    As I'm using my wheelchair now it's obvious there's something wrong with me, but not what. Without that noone really knows I'm ill until I tell them.
    :ditto: My wheelchair's visible but the cause of my disability is not.
    I use a wheelchair whenever i leave my house and get such odd looks, as though i shouldn't be using it! Makes it worse when i get out of the chair... Just want to wear a badge or something saying LUNGS NOT LEGS to avoid those annoying looks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.