Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently looking for some graduate schemes and am brain storming possible job options. Hoping possibly some of you kind people could help me out with some suggestions that match my experience and preferences.

I have a BA Geography degree with a high 2:1 classification, i was then employed by my university as a Research Assistant and will have a journal paper published (of which I will be first author). I've also some how managed to get a 3 month internship at the International Labour Organisation (UN). I'm hoping this will all make stand out from other people with degrees.

I was planning to become a teacher, but recently got some experience by working as a teaching assistant and have decided it is not for me at this moment in time. I know I like a job that is stimulating, I enjoy working with people and know that I don't want to something that is entirely research based (as it is rather isolating at times). Consequently I have ruled out being an academic. I want to stay in the UK and am concentrating my job search in London. I have applied to the civil service fast stream.... does anyone else have any suggestions?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    No one have any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Teach first? Not your usual teaching experience, and could certainly be considered stimulating/rewarding.
    As well as the fast stream, what about applying to specific government departments that do grad scheme, e.g. work and pensions. Or what about the Transport for London grad scheme. Or a general management scheme at somewhere like BT, Cancer Research etc. Try and get hold of the times top 100 graduate employers book (it's also online I think) and have a flick through that - might give you some inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigovioletred)
    Teach first? Not your usual teaching experience, and could certainly be considered stimulating/rewarding.
    As well as the fast stream, what about applying to specific government departments that do grad scheme, e.g. work and pensions. Or what about the Transport for London grad scheme. Or a general management scheme at somewhere like BT, Cancer Research etc. Try and get hold of the times top 100 graduate employers book (it's also online I think) and have a flick through that - might give you some inspiration.
    Big thanks to you, I haven't checked out 'Teach First'. Will try and get hold of the top 100 grad firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Big thanks to you, I haven't checked out 'Teach First'. Will try and get hold of the top 100 grad firms.
    no problem! The times top 100 thing is really helpful, it lists what schemes/opportunities are available at each of the firms. There are quite an interesting variety listed, not too many law/banking/consultancy etc. Lots of general management schemes, which might be a good idea if you're not sure exactly where you want to end up, as they give good transferable skills.
    Incidentally, if you like the look of teach first, and do get on to the civil service fast stream, the civil service will defer your offer for two years so you can do teach first! That's what I'm hoping to do! (Although I doubt there's much chance that I actually get through the civil service application!)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.