Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't normally post in D and D, so go easy on me, thanks.

My points are a reaction to this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...amily-genetics
    in summary, she is the result of donated sperm. She discusses how she went through an identity crisis during her teen-young adult life, and about her issues now dealing with this. She filed a lawsuit against the government that set about the laws banning anonimity for sperm donors. She sees the need to know your family as paramount.

My response to this is a strong disagreement. I think that anonimity is crucial to sperm donation, as I believe that people do it to help others without wanting it to be connected back to them. I believe this is why there is now not enough people being sperm donors. She sees sperm donors as people who arn't strong enough to face up to their family, which I think is really wrong. Men or women who out of the goodness of their heart donate eggs/sperm do so because they want to help others, not still be attached emotionally or physically to the offspring. Giving sperm/eggs is not the same as being a surrogate mother or giving a child up for adoption.

I do confess to being slightly self interested, as I am infertile myself, although I am not planning to use donated eggs. I am however, planning to adopt which leads me to the other part of my arguement. If a child of sperm/egg donation (or an apopted child in my case) grows up and wants to find out who their biological parents are. I know that I personally would feel upset, as it seems to me that wanting to find out who their biological parents are is saying that all your parenting wasn't good enough. This may be an emotional reaction, and I havn't really spoken to people who have been adopted/were born from donations, i'd be interested to hear their input there. Personally I find it difficult to see how you could be more interested in your biological parents over the people who have brought you up your whole life

Opinions anybody?

ReputationRep:
    why dont i just read a newspaper?!

ReputationRep:
    I think that anonimity is crucial to sperm donation
    So do I. I also wonder why the biological father matters (from the child's perspective), his part in their life is socially insignificant.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, but it seems to have given the woman in the article a permenant idenity crisis! I don't understand it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museobsessed)
    exactly, but it seems to have given the woman in the article a permenant idenity crisis! I don't understand it
    Attention seeker imo.

ReputationRep:
    probably. I don't know why everyone else is ignoring this

ReputationRep:
    Well i am incredibly immoral, and its only because i can see that both my mother and father have weak moral codes that makes me feel confident in not caring about anyone but myself

If i was brought up by eg. 2 christians or charity shop workers i would have a REAL identity crisis and i could only imagine how terrible it would be to live with people who dont accept me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still confused by what you wrote Willis, even though i've read it at least 3 times. Who are you refering to? me or the lady who wrote the article?

ReputationRep:
    it's a difficult area. i can imagine the kind of identity crisis you'd go through if you were "the result of donated sperm". but hardly anyone's going to donate sperm if it's not anonymous. adoption gets you round that problem, i suppose. but then adopted kids often go through similar identity crises too.

ReputationRep:
    I think she's an attention seeker; just some girl who's socially ****** up but wants to blame it on someone else.

ReputationRep:
    humm I'm glad people are agreeing with me, I wasn't sure if anyone would.
    Thats quite a crisis though, to take on the government and get them to change the laws! She must feel pretty strongly

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.