Turn on thread page Beta

Does dyslexia limit opportunities? watch

Announcements

Is it possible for someone who is dyslexic to become an optometrist or a pharmacist? Will they be allowed on to the course?, will they be given a job?

ReputationRep:
    yes the course cannot discriminate against you. and there is lots of help available - see the disabled students subforum

you dont have to discole when aplying for a job unless it wil afect ytour ability to do the job. if reasonable adjustments can be made there is some sort of aces to work thing i think to help

dslexia does not limit your oportunities unless you let it. you can be whatever you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    I have a mild form of dyslexia…. it has never been a barrier to me. Why should it? You can still communicate effectively, if you're at university they should be able to provide you with support to overcome any problems it causes you. What is the nature of your dyslexia?

I am really scared! I only discovered it 2 months ago! So we are still not 100% sure. I only have difficulties with mental maths (but I got a B in my GCSE maths) and I know is silly but it takes me longer to do simple things, e.g. turn left or right when someone is giving direction in my car.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should read more about dyslexia, you will find that you can do some things a lot better than other people some things worse.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry at all, my friend studies pharmacy and he's dyslexic. Good luck with whichever course you choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am really scared! I only discovered it 2 months ago! So we are still not 100% sure. I only have difficulties with mental maths (but I got a B in my GCSE maths) and I know is silly but it takes me longer to do simple things, e.g. turn left or right when someone is giving direction in my car.
    In all honesty it sounds like it is not going to cause you too many issues in any career, unless you want a job on Countdown...

(Original post by BellaMemoria)
    Don't worry at all, my friend studies pharmacy and he's dyslexic. Good luck with whichever course you choose
    Best news I've had all week! lol

ReputationRep:
    loads of people are dyslexic. you definitely wont be trhe only one on your course with it i bet, whichever course you do

ReputationRep:
    As eden said, check out the disabled students sub-forum. I was diagnosed with dyslexia last year but it hasn't held me back. If you work hard, develop coping mechanisms and accept support and you can achieve whatever you want to.

ReputationRep:
    There is loads of help out there if you are dyslexic particularly if you get 'statemented'.

(Original post by eden)
    yes the course cannot discriminate against you. and there is lots of help available - see the disabled students subforum

you dont have to discole when aplying for a job unless it wil afect ytour ability to do the job. if reasonable adjustments can be made there is some sort of aces to work thing i think to help

dslexia does not limit your oportunities unless you let it. you can be whatever you want to be.
    Very inspirational!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicideCommando)
    Very inspirational!
    its true though... although i probably gave away the fact i am dyslexic by spelling dyslexia wrong! lol - why make the word dyslexia so hard to spell is beyond me!

(Original post by eden)
    its true though... although i probably gave away the fact i am dyslexic by spelling dyslexia wrong! lol - why make the word dyslexia so hard to spell is beyond me!
    Hehe Don't worry about it - I'm also dyslexic! Firefox's spell check works a treat. :P
    x

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah. i use it. its just not working atm for some wierd reason - its not picking up my spelings!

Why the **** did I get neg repped on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    somone negged you? for what?

ReputationRep:
    Although it may not be common knowledge, dyslexia is not considered an intellectual disability. It's been diagnosed in people with all levels of intelligence. It is thought to be the result of a neurological difference. Having said that, you do not seem to have dyslexia. It's a learning disability makes it more difficult to understand and process written usually troubles such as reading or spelling correctly.

You said you have mathematical problems...that's something else. It's called dyscalculia. From what you are discribing you don't seem to have dyslexia. P.S, not all of us are good at math mate, we all have things we're good at. As for the driving thing...if it actually were a symptom it would manifest in more ways than one because some forms of dyslexia impare all motor skills. You should also be very slow at hand writing and deforming certain letters. If thats the case then you should probably see some one. You need to be properly diagnosed, I also suggest reading a bit more on the subject because I don't feel like making a 10 page post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamolxes)
    You said you have mathematical problems...that's something else. It's called dyscalculia. From what you are discribing you don't seem to have dyslexia.
    for a dyscalculic person to get a b in maths would have required a whole load of work, or very mild dyscalculia, or both.

still the op was not asking what they have. op, if you are applying to uni i suggest to get properly diagnosed first, if you are at school/collge ask for a full asesment/proper diagnosis, and keep a copy of the report. then you can aces help and suport when you get to uni

ReputationRep:
    No, both occupations are too hard to spell

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2008
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.