Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does dyslexia limit opportunities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im a diagnosed dyslexic...appling to verious top 10 unis to study english and am currently top of my english class achiving a mimimum of 90% in all moduals... if anyone ever says to you that you cant do something, or if you ever meet a dyslexic person who says that they cant... screw 'em... if you try hard enough... anythings possible (excuse the cheese...)

ReputationRep:
    oh every things possible. it's just so much harder. I mean course you can develop coping strategies but it's one of the hardest things to accept that everyone else can scan read the chapters, but you can't and that when everyone's read the slid in the lecture she skips to the next one whilst your still reading. Should should definitely get assessed if you have a concern, or for another guidance honestly answer one of those on line questionnaire things. if you only have 1 or 2 symptoms chances are you don't need an assessment. But i you find yourself checking nearly every box i will give you more of an indication

(Original post by Zamolxes)
    Although it may not be common knowledge, dyslexia is not considered an intellectual disability. It's been diagnosed in people with all levels of intelligence. It is thought to be the result of a neurological difference. Having said that, you do not seem to have dyslexia. It's a learning disability makes it more difficult to understand and process written usually troubles such as reading or spelling correctly.

You said you have mathematical problems...that's something else. It's called dyscalculia. From what you are discribing you don't seem to have dyslexia. P.S, not all of us are good at math mate, we all have things we're good at. As for the driving thing...if it actually were a symptom it would manifest in more ways than one because some forms of dyslexia impare all motor skills. You should also be very slow at hand writing and deforming certain letters. If thats the case then you should probably see some one. You need to be properly diagnosed, I also suggest reading a bit more on the subject because I don't feel like making a 10 page post

I was going to get a book on dyslexia and learn more about the disorder. We were all :eek: shocked when I got a B in maths in my GCSE I was expecting a D. I was so rubbish on mental maths, I still I am! But I was really good at algebra and Pythagoras and all the difficult stuff because it was logical. I found it easier than the times table.
    My spelling is not perfect though, I don’t think it’s that bad. I knew a boy in school and he was dyslexic and he once asked me to how to spell House! I have no difficulty with words like that.
    I think its numbers, and reading, I hate reading in front of other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is it possible for someone who is dyslexic to become an optometrist or a pharmacist? Will they be allowed on to the course?, will they be given a job?
    It can actually count in your favour, if you mention having this disability and overcoming obstacles... being a better person for it etc. It makes you look like a better, more enthusiastic candidate. Also, there's positive discrimination to factor in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am really scared! I only discovered it 2 months ago! So we are still not 100% sure. I only have difficulties with mental maths (but I got a B in my GCSE maths) and I know is silly but it takes me longer to do simple things, e.g. turn left or right when someone is giving direction in my car.
    I would look at it this way, if you only discovered it 2 months ago, then you obviously coped for the other 17/18 years of your life, and if you are looking at a uni course, and have gone through GCSEs, then I can only assume that you already decided to go into 6th form/college. That shows that, even though you were working against a disablilty, you had the determination to do what you needed to.

The only reason you are doubting yourself now is that you might now be able to give a name to the problems you have had. That is good, not bad. If you name it, you can get help with it. If you were having doubts, and you have discovered that, at least part of them, were down to dyslexia, then rejoice, because there will be help available if you are struggling, and again, it means that you have the determinataion to push on through.

As a side note, why is dyslexia one of the most difficult words to spell? It seems rather unfair. Kinda like putting an s in lisp.

ReputationRep:
    It is abit shocking when you first find out.

I was diagnosed when i was 10 in year 5 of primary school and im now 18 at college so just over 8 years.

I go to a really nice college that has very good support for students with learning difficulties.

I just achived A's in ICT and Sociology and B's in History and Media Studies at AS level so it doesn't effect your opportunities unless you let it.

You would be suprised at how many people are actually dyslexic once you look and colleges and universities have to provide support so once you recive an assessement from an educational psychologist/psychiatrists (can't remember which) they can list things you are entitled to such as using a laptop in exams extra time, a reader or scribe a tutor etc.

As you get to understand your dyslexia you will develop strategies to help you cope with it you may already have.

you might want to check out of you have myers irlens syndrome which is quite commen with people who have dyslexia. It effects your eyes and makes it harder to read and stuff but can be missed as it's just put down to you being dyslexic sometimes.

Some useful sites.

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/

http://www.irlen.org.uk/ irlens sydrone

This has a useful download called Screen Tinter Lite it changes the colour of web browsers and documents so it's easier on the eye which helps if you have irlen syndrone you can also get coloured glasses or layouts made for you to help.
    http://www.thomson-software-solution...downloads.html

Don't worry and hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BMJ)
    This has a useful download called Screen Tinter Lite it changes the colour of web browsers and documents so it's easier on the eye which helps if you have irlen syndrone you can also get coloured glasses or layouts made for you to help.
    http://www.thomson-software-solution...downloads.html

Don't worry and hope it helps.
    hey thanks for that - will try the download. i have irlen syndrome. didnt even know it existed till this summer. thought it was just me being odd. i have an overlay but its not much use on the pc, so go for testing for specs in 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    OP, our PM has vision problems and it hasn't hindered him. The sky is the limit!

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised this irlen thing is what im being tested for on friday... weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I've just realised this irlen thing is what im being tested for on friday... weird
    ah cool. which stage of testing? (1 is for overlays or 2 is for lenses)

i am being tested in 2 weeks time. i booked the apointment the first week of september so it has been quite a wait!

ReputationRep:
    i dunno i had overlays before but only because my dyslexia tutor thought they might help. there were only 4 colours available.. lol.. I'm not sure the woman who saw me just asked if i'd been tested for visual sensitivity so i assume it's stage one. I don't treally know i only booked it last week.

ReputationRep:
    ah yes it will be stage 1. there are much more colours of overlays than that. i find mine really useful.

ReputationRep:
    apparenlty it only takes 30 mins. I woner shy you have had to wait so long for an appointment

ReputationRep:
    Nope I have both Dyslexia and Dyscalculia it has bothered me when i've been revising for exams and my memory plays havork. For me it's just always taken me that little bit longer to get to where I want to be. That's all. I have a Rose overlay as well so that helps as well.

ReputationRep:
    my apointment is for lenses. i have to have it at the irlen north west centre near maclesfield. (i live/uni in liverpool). the centre is for the entire north west, and there is just one woman who does the testing i think, and her husband helps run it. plus since i could only go on a monday/tuesday (i am on placement teaching in a school and cant miss a placement day) that meant it was more of a wait till a day that i could go. i have been to set the whole day aside for the testing. maybe this is why the wait was so long if the testing takes all day for each person, and there is only 1 person doing it.

ah well. i cant complain cos the dsa is paying for the asesment and lenses, and they paid for my stage 1 overlay asesment too!

ReputationRep:
    i haven't been told i have topay for anything yet... maybe beause the north east centre is university of Hull

ReputationRep:
    in a way it can help...that seems pretty stupid. But large companies such as Accenture often have a quota from the government to fill so it can be a good way of getting your foot in the door.

You don't need to tell someone that you are dyslexic, it can help if you do as they can assist you. I feel that although its against the law to discriminate, For small companies I wouldn't tell them when I am applying, and for large companies I would. For a course, you should tell the University straight away, I get extra time in my exams that I need to proof read my work.

ReputationRep:
    if you apply for ANY government position local or national you should inform them. If you are disabled and met the minimum requirements for the job you re guarenteed an interview

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.