Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    I live in a rural town so the chances of me getting even a weeks work exp at BO(where i get slight insight into how FO/MO work) of a investment bank are VERY slim. i was wondering what the alternatives to this are? i want to try and get slight advantages in before it all starts getting too competitive. would some work experience at a Lloyd/HSBC bank suffice for 6th form exp?
    To be honest it's going to be tough. Best bet is to write a (when I say a I mean a lot ) letter with a CV and see where you get - some smaller Banks may give you some experience. Your best bet is through school links or personal contacts though...

ReputationRep:
    Look at local accountancy firms as well, not IB but can give you a basic grasp of finance.

ReputationRep:
    are u in year 12? i could give u a contact at an investment bank for next summer. PM.

ReputationRep:
    If I was your contact, I would be annoyed that you're giving away my details to a randomer on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    so my best chance would be a local accountancy firm? i previously did work experience for a finance law firm, would that help? learnt abotu corporate/debt finance etc
    Going back there would probably be really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love2learn)
    Going back there would probably be really good
    they've been doing lay offs, and are cutting back due to the credit crunch adversely effecting the housing market (much of their work) so they won't give me any more work experience until summer

ReputationRep:
    At this early stage, anything that gets you a foot in the door is good, if you can learn a lot, even better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    are u in year 12? i could give u a contact at an investment bank for next summer. PM.
    me too please

ReputationRep:
    Try stock-broking firms. I managed to secure some w/ex in yr 12 this way (and I too lived in a rural town!) Although not quite the same as IB, if you're interested in markets it will provide an insight and also show early interest on your CV (better than BO - for markets - imo)

ReputationRep:
    stock-brokering firms? i take it these were based in your local town then?

ReputationRep:
    stock-brokering firms? i take it these were based in your local town then?
    Yup, that's correct. I would suggest going down to the offices of any in your town, instead of just sending random letters (puts a face to a name, and also you're less likely to just be ignored)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.