The Student Room Group

Stuck between aerospace or civil engineering

I am 2nd year A level student, doing Maths, Physic and Graphic communication. I want to study engineering in university. The problem is that I am stuck between aerospace engineering or civil engineering. I like space and wants to work in NASA, also I am interested in rockets. On the other hand side I alway like building and unique structures. So my question which one is better aerospace or civil engineering? In terms of difficulty in maths and physics and which one has better job availability after graduation. In physics my weak topic is forces. Can someone please answer my question and I also want to know answer from students who are currently studying these subject.
Original post by taroobk
I am 2nd year A level student, doing Maths, Physic and Graphic communication. I want to study engineering in university. The problem is that I am stuck between aerospace engineering or civil engineering. I like space and wants to work in NASA, also I am interested in rockets. On the other hand side I alway like building and unique structures. So my question which one is better aerospace or civil engineering? In terms of difficulty in maths and physics and which one has better job availability after graduation. In physics my weak topic is forces. Can someone please answer my question and I also want to know answer from students who are currently studying these subject.

You’ll have to be dealing with forces & energy systems in basically every subject in either civil or aerospace engineering.

It’s not about what’s better, just down to personal interest & preferences. Jobs vary but I wouldn’t say their is a lot in it.

Id also say you will need to be a US citizen to work in NASA, space careers are heavily defence related... so security is high barrier to entry.

It’s worth noting with something like a rocket it’s not 1 type of engineering, its a system encompassing electronics, thermodynamics, aerodynamics, chemical engineering & physics. This idea of full systems is something you’ll likely encounter i many industries.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
You’ll have to be dealing with forces & energy systems in basically every subject in either civil or aerospace engineering.

It’s not about what’s better, just down to personal interest & preferences. Jobs vary but I wouldn’t say their is a lot in it.

Id also say you will need to be a US citizen to work in NASA, space careers are heavily defence related... so security is high barrier to entry.

It’s worth noting with something like a rocket it’s not 1 type of engineering, its a system encompassing electronics, thermodynamics, aerodynamics, chemical engineering & physics. This idea of full systems is something you’ll likely encounter i many industries.

Thank you for info

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending