Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best way for a beginner to learn guitar independently? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm 19, and thought that I'd like to play. I've tried this before, and so have a guitar, but failed miserably! I don't know the basics. I also don't have the time or money for formal lessons. I don't want to be a classical virtuoso, I just want to be able to strum a few basic songs. I'm also interested in blues, if that helps. Thank you people. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You can get some quite decent books with interactive DVD's/CD's for a decent price that i have found quite good at teaching basic chords/ notes. I've never had any lessons but managed to make a decent amount of progress on the electric guitar (less so recently though as just not had the time!). You can also find a few websites with chords on so if you just learn the basics from a book or something then you can usually find the songsheets for the particular song you want online somewhere. Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, get yourself some beginner level books and try and practice as much as you can. There are millions of videos on youtube etc. if you're struggling to get your head around an idea or technique. Ideally if you have any guitar playing friends ask them to critique your playing now and again. And of course you've got the friendly folks round these parts to answer any questions or at least bicker about possible answers.

ReputationRep:
    You can learn simple songs from youtube. Also there's this guy called Justin Sandercoe on youtube who's quite good for beginner stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation. I've had a guitar for a few years now but have never had the time to get lessons or pay for them because I already have lessons for two other instruments.

Firstly, if you don't know how to read a tablature, that's the first thing you need to learn - very simple, http://guitar.about.com/library/blhowtoreadtab.htm

When I want to play songs I use http://ultimate-guitar.com/
    Just type in the name of a song you would like to play/a band you like. It'll show you how to play the chords and tell you when to play them etc etc.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    www.ultimate-guitar.com is the biggest guitar site in the world.

On the main page it gives you link to lessons (nearly all of them in video format and many more in text format) from beginner to advanced.

There's also the forums which are very well used, try going in the beginners section of the music theory sub-forum. There are other subforums for any question you want to ask.

If you use ultimate-guitar.com, every other site is irrelevant frankly.

ReputationRep:
    Yep , http://ultimate-guitar.com/
    try and get guitar pro 5. it's a piece of software that will play the guitar pro files you can download from that site.
    it's really good for practicing a song at your own pace and gradually speeding it up as you get the grasp of it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to play blues, learn the minor pentatonic scale. It's pretty much key to playing blues.

Also, you might find this useful. It's my old UG profile, and it's got a 3 minute looping 12 bar blues backing track in E minor.

It's probably a fair way for you to go for improvisation, but you may find it useful sometime.

ReputationRep:
    Work through this first

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.