Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If anyone knows of any places off the top of their heads...

What universities only ask for biology to As/A2 and no other science?
    Preferably not foundation med but either one is fine. I have been doing my research but can only find a few.

ReputationRep:
    do you mean just biology and not chemistry needed?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peninsula and UEA I seem to recall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SS92)
    do you mean just biology and not chemistry needed?
    Yes. I was unable to take chemistry in sixth form that's why i have a big problem only having biology.

ReputationRep:
    There is no university in the country that would take you without chemistry, it is far more essential than biology. In fact, it is sometimes possible with just chemistry, but not biology. Most say Chem + Another science or maths.

Sorry. Perhaps if you did a biology degree then you can enter a medicine postgraduate course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    There is no university in the country that would take you without chemistry, it is far more essential than biology. In fact, it is sometimes possible with just chemistry, but not biology. Most say Chem + Another science or maths.

Sorry. Perhaps if you did a biology degree then you can enter a medicine postgraduate course
    Why don't you look on Peninsula's website and see that what you just said is incorrect?....Don't give information out to people you don't even know the answer to.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

apparently east anglia and newcastle (you don't need chem or bio AS for newcastle?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

apparently east anglia and newcastle (you don't need chem or bio AS for newcastle?)
    Thanks yes I'm considering applying to Newcastle. And medschool online is set out a bit confusingly, you have to have at least chem As or Biology As to apply, you can't apply with neither ! thanks for the site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Why don't you look on Peninsula's website and see that what you just said is incorrect?....Don't give information out to people you don't even know the answer to.
    Ignore the idiot, they spend all day trying to annoy people on the interwebs.

Someone at my school was accepted to Kings College with just Biology. They had loads of work experience and personal experiences of the ill. So that could lead to the conclusion that experience is more important.

But contact the universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)
    Ignore the idiot, they spend all day trying to annoy people on the interwebs.

Someone at my school was accepted to Kings College with just Biology. They had loads of work experience and personal experiences of the ill. So that could lead to the conclusion that experience is more important.

But contact the universities.
    ooo, thank you :0

Just biology? .. Do you know what other A/As subjects they took and grades?

I will be taking a gap year to gain more work exp I'm hoping to build it up loads and loads to compensate for the lack of chemistry :p:

ReputationRep:
    I apologize, I was wrong. It was just something I heard from my chemistry teacher at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    ooo, thank you :0

Just biology? .. Do you know what other A/As subjects they took and grades?

I will be taking a gap year to gain more work exp I'm hoping to build it up loads and loads to compensate for the lack of chemistry :p:
    Psychology, Maths and Biology, grades AAB respectively.

If you're taking a gap year there's no harm in trying anyway the year before it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    I apologize, I was wrong. It was just something I heard from my chemistry teacher at school.
    Oh lol it's okay sorry if I was a bit rude. It's just if I had not known you were wrong, I would have been really upset right now!

Are you considering medicine yourself then ?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, Maths and Biology, grades AAB respectively.

If you're taking a gap year there's no harm in trying anyway the year before it!
    That's what I'm debating (whether to take a gap or not!)
    Wasn't too keen on my GCSE results (see profile if your interested ) and am worried i'll be rejected. My school told me not to apply as my gcse's are too low......?

I'm reluctant to apply until I have my A2 grades, hopefully they will be good and take the focus off my GCSE's a little (they weren't appalling but I'd say as far as gcse is concerned for medicine that's lower than the average candidate?). I'm also wanting to re take a few GCSE's so I have more option of applying to certain unis and that in itself doesn't look too great. aaahh. I don't know! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Oh lol it's okay sorry if I was a bit rude. It's just if I had not known you were wrong, I would have been really upset right now!

Are you considering medicine yourself then ?
    Well I was, until the summer, i realized I was too squeamish to manage it. I chose my A-levels for medicine, and then ended up applying for economics!

ReputationRep:
    Peninsula, UEA, Durham and Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Peninsula, UEA, Durham and Newcastle.
    Thanks, didn't look into Durham.

I previously thought Durham and Newcastle - you apply to the same course and get put into either one of those unis? Or are they separate with separate applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    That's what I'm debating (whether to take a gap or not!)
    Wasn't too keen on my GCSE results (see profile if your interested ) and am worried i'll be rejected. My school told me not to apply as my gcse's are too low......?

I'm reluctant to apply until I have my A2 grades, hopefully they will be good and take the focus off my GCSE's a little (they weren't appalling but I'd say as far as gcse is concerned for medicine that's lower than the average candidate?). I'm also wanting to re take a few GCSE's so I have more option of applying to certain unis and that in itself doesn't look too great. aaahh. I don't know! :p:
    I wouldn't say they're too low, medicine is much more about experience and suitability to the career, as well as desire to do it.

I say apply, but if you get rejections just take the gap year to get your work experience up, or possibly use it to take an AS in Chemistry or something.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say they're too low, medicine is much more about experience and suitability to the career, as well as desire to do it.

I say apply, but if you get rejections just take the gap year to get your work experience up, or possibly use it to take an AS in Chemistry or something.
    ta, that's what I plan on doing :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Thanks, didn't look into Durham.

I previously thought Durham and Newcastle - you apply to the same course and get put into either one of those unis? Or are they separate with separate applications?
    I'm fairly certain they're seperate, yeah, look at point 8:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/schoo...s%20policy.pdf

Cheers for the rep btw

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.