The Student Room Group

Are my grades really not high enough???

I got A*A*A* in maths, economics and history in August (was predicted BBC), but looking at the unis I want to apply for (oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick, bath), it seems like I'm still at the bottom 40% of students. I know it's realistic at oxford, but do most students at UCL, ect really have more than 3 A*s?
I doubt "most" have it, but there will be a large number who do.
Original post by iinnii
I got A*A*A* in maths, economics and history in August (was predicted BBC), but looking at the unis I want to apply for (oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick, bath), it seems like I'm still at the bottom 40% of students. I know it's realistic at oxford, but do most students at UCL, ect really have more than 3 A*s?

Which degree?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree?

Econ+managment at oxford, straight econ at the rest.
Original post by iinnii
Econ+managment at oxford, straight econ at the rest.

TSA will be important for Oxford.

[I'd avoid LSE - it's toxic]
Original post by iinnii

Where are you getting the information that most students at these unis have more than 3 A*s?
Reply 6
Unifrog.
Original post by ageshallnot
Where are you getting the information that most students at these unis have more than 3 A*s?
Its not a great idea applying for all of Oxford, UCL, LSE, and Warwick as they are insanely competitive. Many people who applied to all of these other Uni this year ended up with no offers - from any of them - despite having A* grade predcitions.

I'd advise at least one switch from these - look at Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester an an alternative - and especicially if they have a course with a placement - as with Bath, a sensible choice where you are likely to actually get an offer. A placememt or any other sort of inbuilt 'experience' gives an enormous boost to your graduate job chances.
Original post by iinnii
Unifrog.

Is this based on students average UCAS points?
Reply 9
Yes.
Reply 10
Yes.
Original post by ageshallnot
Is this based on students average UCAS points?
I think a fair proportion of students doing economics at those universities will have 4 A levels including further maths which may push up the average UCAS points. Do they still include music exams? That used to create some unusual data.
How is this even possible when most students take 3? I'm assuming it has to do with further maths, as our economics teacher told us it was just better not to apply to these sorts of universities for economics without further maths. I know people that weren't aware of this, and are applying instead to accounting with 3 A* predictions, so I would assume that to be the reason. Perhaps look into accounting, but you stand a fair chance of getting an offer nonetheless.
Original post by iinnii
Yes.

UCAS points don't really translate into grades perfectly. So many different things that won't matter to oxford or other prestigious unis can contribute towards UCAS points. Since you already have 3 A*s, unis will most likely prioritise you over other students that only have predicted grades. I think it's important to pick a less competitive uni as well just in case because some admissions people might just feel like ruining your day.
Original post by iinnii
Yes.

Original post by iinnii
Yes.

As above having FM is common for top-level economics applicants. People also get UCAS points for extra AS exams. EPQs,. some music and dance exams etc etc.

Your biggest problem for some unis will be your lack of FM. LSE say you have very little chance unless your school simply didn't offer it.

You need to apply to Oxford fairly soon but you don't have to choose all 5 immediately. You could put down another couple and see if you get any acceptances. If you do they will be unconditional because you have already passed your A-levels, so you could put anything you like for your remaining choices. If you get rejections then you need to play safer.
Original post by iinnii

Yes economics & management degrees at the ‘elite’ institutions are very competitive and the applicants have stellar academics so having lots of A*’s is pretty normal.

that said with A*A*A* as you have you can apply wherever you like really (some economics courses may strongly prefer further maths and in which case you might be tactful on which courses you apply for specifically).

but with what you have achieved I wouldn’t be put off any university on the basis of what typical students have. I would still be sensible with your 5 applications, you can probably do 2 or 3 super ambitious choices then a couple other choices.

Quick Reply

Latest