Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MCYans Personal Question Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    School starts to make sixth formers go to the gym every Wednesday afternoon to get you out from high pressure of school
    I like gym so much!However,I need more willpower to keep come in to the gym
    Everyone knows the fact that gym can definitely make you healthier,but it is definitely make you fitter/slimer? in other words,lose more weight?or is it just working for some certain people?
    Also,how many times do you reckon I should go each week,and how many hours each time?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    3x, 1 hour each should be enough

ReputationRep:
    losing weight also has alot to do with diet, eat less calories than you use basicly

ReputationRep:
    As Ayrt has said, the only way that you can lose weight and for the long-term, without doing weird things to your metabolism is: reduced food consumption, increased exercise.

ReputationRep:
    You're not supposed to need willpower to do things you like..

ReputationRep:
    yeah,but if you dont have willpower,no patience,that means no good result

ReputationRep:
    Of course,I forgot to mention about decreasing food consumption,that is an important factor needed to for the diet plan as well..

ReputationRep:
    you need to burn 3,500 kcals to burn 1 pound of fat off.
    Going to the gym may help slightly, but the main thing is cutting back on kcalories. Some people find they put on weight if they go to the gym, obviously due to muscle, but also because they tend to eat more, or think that they're entitled to eat something because they've just worked an hour at the gym. Lots of people don't work in the right way/hard enough to burn a lot of fat anyway. There are hundreds of girls at my gym who simply flounce around and perhaps do an hour of moderate exercise (which they should be doing through walking etc anyway)!

ReputationRep:
    No, people just do it because they think they look sexy sweaty,

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to do some exercise while there for there to be any effects on your body..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaWessica)
    you need to burn 3,500 kcals to burn 1 pound of fat off.
    Going to the gym may help slightly, but the main thing is cutting back on kcalories. Some people find they put on weight if they go to the gym, obviously due to muscle, but also because they tend to eat more, or think that they're entitled to eat something because they've just worked an hour at the gym. Lots of people don't work in the right way/hard enough to burn a lot of fat anyway. There are hundreds of girls at my gym who simply flounce around and perhaps do an hour of moderate exercise (which they should be doing through walking etc anyway)!
    haha,very good points there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    No, people just do it because they think they look sexy sweaty,
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Sorry,it seems to be a very commonsense question,but different people have different opinions.

What do you all think?If its not a good idea,what should we do instead?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think it is better if you wait till your body 'cools down' and then have a shower.

ReputationRep:
    depends what kind of session i suppose, and if your training for something specifically, for a normal session, i think it would be fine.
    I know that some athletest have ice baths after doing track sessions.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard anyone ask this before! And it's a good thing in my opinion. Who wants to be hot and sweaty for the rest of the day?

ReputationRep:
    No. I much prefer spending the rest of my day reeking of drying sweat. :rolleyes:

What is supposed to be the problem with having a shower?

ReputationRep:
    After the gym I go into the Sauna/Steam room, then the hydro pool to relax my muscles. Then get a shower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    I think it is better if you wait till your body 'cools down' and then have a shower.
    what he said

otherwise, although you may not notice, you could still be sweating in your shower and while drying off

depends how much of a sweaty betty said person is

ReputationRep:
    I'm signing up to a gym soon, and i'd say its pretty good to have a shower after gym. But I wouldnt have the shower in the gym, I'd have one at my home.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.