Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many asian women intend to get married to an asian or non asian? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    No, but the topic of this thread means the argument has ended up taking that path. Any culture which does not accept inter-racial marriage is not advanced.
    Huh?

My dad is English, my mum is Asian.

My mum's parents supported their marriage, while my dad's grandmother almost disowned him for marrying a non-white girl.

Please stop this loose, inaccurate stereotyping.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Why is it bothering some people if most asians get married to an asian and not a non asian? Some people do and some people dont. Its all just personal choice, and you cant change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    HAHA, I live in/near one of the places you just said... glad we make you feel welcome. :p:

Well, I cheated a bit, but I meant more Shirley/Solihull or so.

Ultimately it's all down to how individuals act, you can't label everyone under one... uhhh, label.

Well then, come on! Admit it then, that its down to the person, once you eventually look beyond the colour!

Sparkbrook???

North Brum is way better than any SOuthern place hehehe
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by i_<3_you)
    If i dont fall in love with anyone by the time im supposed to be getting married off then, ill go for arranged marriage.
    I'm sorry, but that just smacks desperation (and despair)

Tell me, when it the time you're "supposed" to get married? I hadn't realised there was such a thing...

ReputationRep:
    what point are you seeing? lol

and btw your picture on your sig is kind of freaky and funny at the same time lol :p:
    Lol thanks
    I agree with your post actually.
    Its not that you purposely set out to only marry an asian (you might) but you'd probably have more in common with another asian so its more likely to end up marrying one. Nothing racist in only wanting to marry another asian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Huh?

My dad is English, my mum is Asian.

My mum's parents supported their marriage, while my dad's grandmother almost disowned him for marrying a non-white girl.

Please stop this loose, inaccurate stereotyping.

WHo did I stereotype? I think you will find that I am fighting for love regardless of colour! Respect regardless of colour! ANd a perfect nation, whereby colour, creed, religion, and culture do not matter so much!

ReputationRep:
    WHo did I stereotype? I think you will find that I am fighting for love regardless of colour! Respect regardless of colour! ANd a perfect nation, whereby colour, creed, religion, and culture do not matter so much!

It would in an ideal world, it doesnt exist in this world as everyone has their own choices and preferences. Im sure everyone searches for love be it from an asian or a non asian.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, come on! Admit it then, that its down to the person, once you eventually look beyond the colour!

Sparkbrook???

North Brum is way better than any SOuthern place hehehe
    Admit it? I never thought colour intimates how someone will act. Doesn't stop the fact that I get stared at by white people in Shirley. :p: Just as white people get stared at in Sparkhill. It's not people's colour causing how they'll behave at all, though.

Sparkhill, juuust about. I like Birmingham very much, in fairness. The places I go at least, I haven't been everywhere in Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    I'm sorry, but that just smacks desperation (and despair)

Tell me, when it the time you're "supposed" to get married? I hadn't realised there was such a thing...
    its not desperation, i am not in a hurry to get married, and id rather spend a year or two after uni working and learning to stand by myself before i get married.

i dont get what your saying in the last sentance. and sorry but are you asian?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    its not desperation, i am not in a hurry to get married, and id rather spend a year or two after uni working and learning to stand by myself before i get married.

i dont get what your saying in the last sentance. and sorry but are you asian?
    Yes, I am...

And whoops, typo! What I meant was: when is the time that you're "supposed" to get married?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh parents are important, but I fail to understand why mommy and daddy should say who I sleep with
    Because mommy and daddy are choosing them using different criteria.

Mommy and Daddy are choosing a person who they think is suitable in the long term, who you won't end up getting unhappy with, and then getting divorced from.

You are more likely to be choosing someone who you are attracted to there an then, and arent as likely to be putting much emphasis in the long term stability of the relationship. (Not you personally, but people in general).

This is exactly the reason why the percentage of arranged marriages that end in divorce is much lower than the percentage of non-arranged marriages which end in divorce.

Very often, people will choose boyfriends/girlfriends based only on the fact that they are attracted to them. Most of the time, such relationships end after a while due to some sort of incompatibility, and then they're regretting having ever dated in the first place, and are unhappy by then end. Parents generally don't like seeing their children unhappy, and so they try to predict incompatibility from beforehand - something their child often won't bother to do.

And sometimes, people won't be too unhappy due to the end of the relationship, because they were only in it for the sex anyway. In which case, marriage is definitely not the answer

ReputationRep:
    People go for what satisfies them and makes them happy. Its not worth us arguing on TSR ... Lets live in harmony. Its still possible ...

ReputationRep:
    I think it shouldn't matter what colour you are, so long as you share values.

I would happily marry a girl of any background so long as she shared my values and was right for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    Admit it? I never thought colour intimates how someone will act. Doesn't stop the fact that I get stared at by white people in Shirley. :p: Just as white people get stared at in Sparkhill. It's not people's colour causing how they'll behave at all, though.

Sparkhill, juuust about. I like Birmingham very much, in fairness. The places I go at least, I haven't been everywhere in Birmingham.

Is there any chance, they could be intrigued by your beauty?

ReputationRep:
    Why is the Asian community so afraid of a relationship with the very people they live on the same street with?
    Stereotyping the 'Asian community', for starters. Not all Asians are 'afraid' of such a relationship, as I have already demonstrated.

You also made some absurd point suggesting that Western countries are 'more advanced' because they accept interracial marriages, inferring that Asians do not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am...

And whoops, typo! What I meant was: when is the time that you're "supposed" to get married?
    lol, trust me i know, iv heard my parents and relatives speaking about marriage of the eldest daughters in the family, and there only two of us, and were the same age, so ermm id say after UNI, but i dont want that, id like to wait another year or two after uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Because mommy and daddy are choosing them using different criteria.

Mommy and Daddy are choosing a person who they think is suitable in the long term, who you won't end up getting unhappy with, and then getting divorced from.

You are more likely to be choosing someone who you are attracted to there an then, and arent as likely to be putting much emphasis in the long term stability of the relationship. (Not you personally, but people in general).

This is exactly the reason why the percentage of arranged marriages that end in divorce is much lower than the percentage of non-arranged marriages which end in divorce.

Very often, people will choose boyfriends/girlfriends based only on the fact that they are attracted to them. Most of the time, such relationships end after a while due to some sort of incompatibility, and then they're regretting having ever dated in the first place, and are unhappy by then end. Parents generally don't like seeing their children unhappy, and so they try to predict incompatibility from beforehand - something their child often won't bother to do.

And sometimes, people won't be too unhappy due to the end of the relationship, because they were only in it for the sex anyway. In which case, marriage is definitely not the answer

Sorry, but are mommy and daddy going to live with the person first? To really get to know them, I mean. Hmmm me thinky not! Well, also I'd like to add that arranged marriages seem to happen for status purposes more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am...

if you're asian...you're meant to know.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but are mommy and daddy going to live with the person first? To really get to know them, I mean. Hmmm me thinky not! Well, also I'd like to add that arranged marriages seem to happen for status purposes more than anything.

well you aint asian so you wouldnt really know about this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Stereotyping the 'Asian community', for starters. Not all Asians are 'afraid' of such a relationship, as I have already demonstrated.

You also made some absurd point suggesting that Western countries are 'more advanced' because they accept interracial marriages, inferring that Asians do not.

I am only giving as good as I get. I love Asian culture, and am feeling rejected as I understand that however much I respect this community, they will never expect anyone who is not of their own colour (according to this thread).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.