ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark<>horizon)
    if you're asian...you're meant to know.
    :ditto: that aswell :yep:

ReputationRep:
    if you're asian...you're meant to know.
    :ditto:
    you'll only really understand if you are asian...the thread title does say "asian women"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Woah. This is getting quite bad now.

Yes there are problems in the West, but imo that is because we are alot more advanced than the rest of the world. The majority of Asia, Africa, et al, unfortunately is backward.
    What do you mean by "advanced"?

If by "advanced" you mean "more economically developed" then I really don't see what that has to do with it

Why should being "advanced" cause problems in the West?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilentGirl)
    People go for what satisfies them and makes them happy. Its not worth us arguing on TSR ... Lets live in harmony. Its still possible ...
    You're completely right. Except sadly, whilst it's still possible, I don't think it's plausible at all. Just how humans are.

Is there any chance, they could be intrigued by your beauty?
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhh... no.

ReputationRep:
    well you aint asian so you wouldnt really know about this!

just because I'm not asian? doesnt matter that I live in a predominately asian city? or that i speak punjabi? or that i have spent alot of time in asia?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_<3_you)
    lol, trust me i know, iv heard my parents and relatives speaking about marriage of the eldest daughters in the family, and there only two of us, and were the same age, so ermm id say after UNI, but i dont want that, id like to wait another year or two after uni :p:
    So...23 or something?

That's still young :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    Stereotyping the 'Asian community', for starters. Not all Asians are 'afraid' of such a relationship, as I have already demonstrated.

You also made some absurd point suggesting that Western countries are 'more advanced' because they accept interracial marriages, inferring that Asians do not.

Agreed! Also, the definition of advance differes from race to race. What one race may think as advance, may be seemed as out of rule for another culture.

At the end of the day, it depends on the individuals. If they are happy with their century old traditions, then let them be as far as its nt bothering anyone else .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    What do you mean by "advanced"?

If by "advanced" you mean "more economically developed" then I really don't see what that has to do with it

Why should being "advanced" cause problems in the West?

I realise this point may be confusing but i have spent several years studying a variety of dictatorships and those countries affected all suffer in the form of experiencing social stages at a slower rate. this theory is applicable to those countries whereby religion is a major factor. imo because religion is the biggest dictatorship outside or america.

ReputationRep:
    Forget about it I say. The arranged marriage thing is mostly to do with the 2 families. There is no way in hell I could marry somebody I have never met. It will not happen. I would have to get to know the person MYSELF.

Russell Peters - "my mum wanted to pick my wife!!! I wouldn't even let my mum pick my clothes"

ReputationRep:
    just because I'm not asian? doesnt matter that I live in a predominately asian city? or that i speak punjabi? or that i have spent alot of time in asia?

one can only really get to grips with the phenomenon that is asian culture...being asian.

regardless of your living in asia etc etc , you're still an outsider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    So...23 or something?

24-25 is a very nice age to get married... Kids dont want old parents :P...

ReputationRep:
    People are being a bit vague with the term asian. I mean you could be describing vietnamese, indian etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am only giving as good as I get. I love Asian culture, and am feeling rejected as I understand that however much I respect this community, they will never expect anyone who is not of their own colour (according to this thread).
    So you're basing your opinion of a whole community on the posts of a few people on an internet forum?

This seems to show that you're not prepared to treat anyone from said society as an individual, but assume that they're all the same based on the views of a few people - a tad hypocritical, I feel.

You also seem to have ignored those posters who have stated quite clearly that race is of no importance to them. It seems like you're only reading what you want to read.

Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyMe!)
    So...23 or something?

i dont want to get married at an older age, otherwise itll get hard to find someone, i know someone who is nearly 30, and she still hasnt found a guy yet... despite her parents looking, and herself.
    Also that isnt young :p: my mum got married at 17, and had me at 18 ... a few of my cousins also got married at 19/ 20, love marriage as well

ReputationRep:
    I realise this point may be confusing but i have spent several years studying a variety of dictatorships and those countries affected all suffer in the form of experiencing social stages at a slower rate. this theory is applicable to those countries whereby religion is a major factor. imo because religion is the biggest dictatorship outside or america.
    Ok - but why are we assuming that the chronologically latest social stage is necessarily the most beneficial to society?

ReputationRep:
    No bcos have you been brought up in an asian family? Do you know any of the things that you're just suposed to know- like the rough age to get married?
    Its hard to understand unless you come from an asian family.

ReputationRep:
    mate, i love asians. i just am not feeling very happy at the mo, realising that they don't like me just because I'm not asian.
    That's not true at all. It'd just be the most "traditional" people. I mean, I see where you're coming from. A family friend (Asian) had an arranged marriage, which fell apart, then when he remarried a white woman he had to keep it a secret from his mother the rest of her (the wife's) life (the wife passed away of cancer), because his mother would never have accepted it.

But she's, what, about eighty years old? Traditional views are changing, you realise.

And not only that, but please remember that not all Asians view things in the same way, by any means.

Which is why "i love asians" is a bit of an odd statement, to me. :p: Asian culture perhaps, but all Asians don't act the same way at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    How many asians are getting an arranged marriage?
    i want one but thats cuz then i get can get a really fit girl haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
    So you're basing your opinion of a whole community on the posts of a few people on an internet forum?

This seems to show that you're not prepared to treat anyone from said society as an individual, but assume that they're all the same based on the views of a few people - a tad hypocritical, I feel.

You also seem to have ignored those posters who have stated quite clearly that race is of no importance to them. It seems like you're only reading what you want to read.

Grow up.

I am just replying to those posts of the posters I dont understand.

Everyone is equal in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    KayleeLand

It's just that they think because you are not asian you won't understand the thoughts of an asian family.

I <3 you

17 is young but in some countries it has been known that girls who have been married at a younger age.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.