Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many asian women intend to get married to an asian or non asian? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i personally think that its normally best for asian women to marry asian men, thats purely due to the cultures and traditions being the same and so life is less complicated. Doing sociology i have also found that relationships are also more successful when both members have the same beliefs in life. I am not saying that asian women cannot at all get with a non asian man or vise versa but i recommend staying with the same type of people as you will normally have more in common, plus i feel that being a indian hindu i would like a indian hindu girl preferably a good girl as its just how iv been brought up and firmly believe is right (in my opinion) without drinkin, smoking and eating meat. Plus in some cultures for example a non asian may marry a asian and then be forced to live under strict rules of the asian family and be forced into specific religions and beliefs. but again im not sayin that non asians should neva get with asians, but i jus think it would normally complicate things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    Of course you can find girls like that in London! They're not all plastic/fake you know :no:

Oh do you mind if i pm you about your uni etc cuz I'm gonna take L100 and need some help?
    yeh sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    so does that mean that a woman cannot understand the thoughts of men? Not being asian is a poor excuse. i can only understand if i am allowed to.
    I don't know how to explain it but there are different types of asian families. I don't know why but I think the typical asian family would not want their son/daughter to be married to somebody of a different race/culture. Of course I don't agree with this view and that is why race will NOT determine who I marry.

ReputationRep:
    or is it because once the arranged marriage has gone ahead, it is too late to change your mind ?
    arranged doesn't mean forced.
    this is why you can't understand!
    my cousin was engaged to his wife for 2 years before they married!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ketan1991)
    i personally think that its normally best for asian women to marry asian men, thats purely due to the cultures and traditions being the same and so life is less complicated. Doing sociology i have also found that relationships are also more successful when both members have the same beliefs in life. I am not saying that asian women cannot at all get with a non asian man or vise versa but i recommend staying with the same type of people as you will normally have more in common, plus i feel that being a indian hindu i would like a indian hindu girl preferably a good girl as its just how iv been brought up and firmly believe is right (in my opinion) without drinkin, smoking and eating meat. Plus in some cultures for example a non asian may marry a asian and then be forced to live under strict rules of the asian family and be forced into specific religions and beliefs. but again im not sayin that non asians should neva get with asians, but i jus think it would normally complicate things.
    I see where you're coming from entirely. Personally I don't feel that a person's race is a similar "category", if you will, to their beliefs, though. By no means are they necessarily related, to me.

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, I'd like to add that I'm Asian and I don't understand most of this malark! :p:

I mean, I know about it but I don't agree with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    Go on, tell me what it feels like to get kicked in the balls. I certainly couldn't tell you. :p: Crude response, but a man wouldn't know what it feels like to get pregnant/give birth... I know these are physical things, but like, sigh, y'know, I was on your side before, but now I'm actually reading your posts I see what people mean. :P

You seem very nice, but just please, accept there're certain things you'll never understand, you just can't. I don't feel bad in anyway admitting I don't know exactly what it'd be like to be white... I don't know how I'd regard Asians then, for example.

You aren't Asian. If you refuse to realise that, then please, do us all a favour and keep hush, beta. :p:

Oh and, arranged marriage =/= forced marriage.

ofcourse im never going to know when no one wants to let me in!

i am neither white, nor black, asian, nor oriental, nor whatever! so does that mean i dont understand anything?

why are you all not in asia then?

ReputationRep:
    because we have no choice but to accept the inevitable. we (in the west) cannot go backwards. also because as a woman, i do not want any sort of inequality.
    Surely there are good things and bad things about all social stages, regardless of their chronological appearance?

For example, in the UK 100 years ago, divorce rates were *far* lower than it is today, which I think is a good thing. But men were violent towards women more often, which is a bad thing.

Or for example, in Saudi Arabia, cheating on your spouse is almost unheard of. But then again, a woman having a job there is also almost unheard of.

All societies have their positives and negatives, and I don't think it's valid to say that since the West has progressed through social stages more quickly, all of the attributes of its current social stage are superior to those of other countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ketan1991)
    what? i am indian hindu and i eat meat:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Here we are all discussing culture and ethics. There is no right or wrong answer as racial ethics or cultural ethics vary with different individuals. All we can have is opinions. It would be best if we try to understand other people's culture and views and also share our own culture or religon etc with others. Its by understanding others cultural and personal values, we start to respect others and build the first step to mutual harmony.

ReputationRep:
    ofcourse im never going to know when no one wants to let me in!

i am neither white, nor black, asian, nor oriental, nor whatever! so does that mean i dont understand anything?

why are you all not in asia then?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh dear...

Ahem, no, of course it doesn't mean you don't understand anything. But as much as someone could try and let you into an Asian circle, having never been brought up as an Asian child in an Asian family, there're some concepts that sort of become instilled in you, that you'd just not get. There're aspects to your life I'd never really be able to relate to, I'm sure. Doesn't mean we can't get on.

But that statement in bold, that's why we probably can't get on.

ReputationRep:
    or is it because once the arranged marriage has gone ahead, it is too late to change your mind ?
    It's not too late to change your mind. If you end up not getting on well with the person you're married to, then of course, get a divorce. But divorce is usually considered to be something that makes people unhappy. So they try to avoid it from the very first instance, by choosing a spouse which they are likely not to need to get a divorce from in future.

ReputationRep:
    Knowing the type of guys I'm attracted to and the fact that I don't know many Indians, I'm sure I won't marry an Indian. But never say never, although it is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I intend to marry someone of the same religion as me [Muslim].
    Don't really care what colour /race they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)
    Hehehe. I'm Indian, I used to be Hindu and I ate meat. Now I'm no longer Hindu, and I don't eat meat! :p:

But technically, the strictest Hindus wouldn't. Principle of ahimsa, minimising hurt to all others, so vegetarianism is the way to go, that kinda thing. But you can still be a Hindu and eat meat. Just depends how strict a Hindu you are I guess.

I have Girls Aloud in my head. Huh. If Daniel isn't voted off The X Factor this week I'll be so mad...

Edit:

(Original post by Make_It)
    Well, I intend to marry someone of the same religion as me [Muslim].
    Don't really care what colour /race they are.
    ^ That makes perfect sense to meeee. I mean, I'm not religious, but that means I could never marry a religious person. Harmonious beliefs are more important than skin colour, to me.

Anyway. Promise I made, promise I made...

ReputationRep:
    i have actually had it up to my eyeballs with this thread and the amount of pig headedness that is being thrown around.

why cant people just be nice to everyone regardless of race and colour?

why is it that people look for the differences and hold onto them? instead of just being themselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    Hehehe. I'm Indian, I used to be Hindu and I ate meat. Now I'm no longer Hindu, and I don't eat meat! :p:
    What did Mum and Dad say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shriya)

yeah, but what im tryin to say is that i would prefer a girl for myself who didnt eat meat as i beileve meat is wrong and i wouldnt want a animal to suffer and lose its whole life for the sake of one meal which would last a few minutes, even in the Bhagavad Gita it is stated that eating meat is wrong, thats why i find it a lil hard to see why hindu's eat it. but oh well .

ReputationRep:
    To KayleeLand:

I don'tthink its a race issue. the issue is that asian parents want their children to themselves have an asian family where the children will grow up as muslims. and in order to create that family people think they need an asian partner who is muslim.

a Hindu mate tells me that it is the same for Hindu parents.

Ihave a friend who married a white girl, she is now a muslim,and they're very happy together.

so its religion that suggests we (if ur muslim) marry muslims to create a muslim family.

also, i think old asian folks are worried about losing their 'culture' here in the UK.lol

ReputationRep:
    i wanna marry a muslim girl..prefereably from pakistan, unless there is someone nice here...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.