Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am emotionally unexpressive and awkward Watch

Hi

I have an annoying problem, I was a relatively normal child and very expressive. When I got to my teens (In retrospect), I seem to have progressively become cold, and socially awkward. Apparently, I tend to keep my face relatively neutral and I always have people asking me if I'm upset/"Whats Wrong?" etc.

I feel that this is having a detrimental effect on the way people perceive me, because I keep loosing friends over simple misunderstandings (ie. They think I dont like them/pissed off with them, so they dont talk to me etc etc. Basically reciprocal negative behaviour). It's effecting my confidence, and I feel I'm becoming a recluse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    (I'm 17 btw)

Also, It's not that I dont feel emotions - quite the contrary, I have very very strong emotions - I just dont know how to express them

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this, I'm not like this anymore though. I don't how I changed, but I just did, so sorry for not having any advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi

I have an annoying problem, I was a relatively normal child and very expressive. When I got to my teens (In retrospect), I seem to have progressively become cold, and socially awkward. Apparently, I tend to keep my face relatively neutral and I always have people asking me if I'm upset/"Whats Wrong?" etc.

I feel that this is having a detrimental effect on the way people perceive me, because I keep loosing friends over simple misunderstandings (ie. They think I dont like them/pissed off with them, so they dont talk to me etc etc. Basically reciprocal negative behaviour). It's effecting my confidence, and I feel I'm becoming a recluse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    (I'm 17 btw)
    I'm a bit like that at parties etc, but I'm fine with my friends. I don't really know what to advise you, you could just try to have a happier expression more of the time I guess...

Smile.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to say this is just down to being a teenager, hormones etc but there may be more to it that that. I often get people asking if i'm ok, why i look sad etc, but i've learned to brush it off. Practice faces in the mirror and find a good 'normal' faceif its troubling you. How do you feel around the people around you in your life? Do you speak to them much? Its good to have an outlet for all those emotions and thoughts. I think with your friends you need to make an extra effort to be friendly, chip into the conversation more and get involved with things. Take a bit more effort to imagine what people are thinking, how they might percieve your actions/ comments. Sometimes people dont come across how they imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Practice opening up and showing your emotions (especially good ones) in a completly over the top way. It is not that you don't know how to express yourself but rather you have got of the habit of doing it. After all you said you used to be able to express yourself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badboy6969)
    Practice opening up and showing your emotions (especially good ones) in a completly over the top way. It is not that you don't know how to express yourself but rather you have got of the habit of doing it. After all you said you used to be able to express yourself...
    That sould be the best way:rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.