Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Screw 7 years, they aren't worth it, might as well buy one on ebay

ReputationRep:
    Floella Benjamin has one despite the fact that she has never studied a higher education qualification.

There's your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Floella Benjamin has one despite the fact that she has never studied a higher education qualification.
    You know he's probably far too young to even know who she is.

ReputationRep:
    That's his loss!

ReputationRep:
    Floella Benjamin has one despite the fact that she has never studied a higher education qualification
    Who is she ?
    Some sort of UK politician ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Who is she ?
    An actress, television presenter, author and other things. Also the chancellor of Exeter uni. She's probably best known as a presenter on Playschool, a pre-school children's programme shown in the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floella_Benjamin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    She's probably best known as a present on Playschool, a pre-school children's programme shown in the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floella_Benjamin
    So the best way to get a DLitt is to be a Playschool presenter ?
    Academics must be fighting for jobs on similar infantile shows. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Who is she ?
    No she is an early years and young infant's TV presenter from the 1980s. Now she is the chancellor of the University of Exeter.

As many have said, the DLitt (etc) degree is honorary, so universities give them out either because of (a) recognition of outstanding work and contribution to society, or (b) to get celebrities to give speeches at graduation ceremonies. A lot of B-list celebs have them. Exeter gave doctorates to the cast of Bottom last year and the year before. This is common practice across the board, and not something unique to Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, she is the only one!

Glasgow gave Billy Connolly one a few years ago.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, it's (usually) an honorary degree, so yes, you can get potentially get one for just about anything, including being a Playschool presenter. Why not? It's not like giving lots of honorary degrees to actors, rock stars or politicians is any less ridiculous...

ReputationRep:
    No she is an early years and young infant's TV presenter from the 1980s.
    I was trying to big her up a bit before mentioning playschool (why, I don't know).

DLitts to the cast of Bottom? Brilliant! I'm sure Newcastle gave one to Alan flaming Shearer a year or two back.

Edit: - Just checked, it was Northumbria and a Doctorate in Civil Law so...ignore that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I was trying to big her up a bit before mentioning playschool (why, I don't know).

DLitts to the cast of Bottom? Brilliant! I'm sure Newcastle gave one to Alan flaming Shearer a year or two back.

Edit: - Just checked, it was Northumbria and a Doctorate in Civil Law so...ignore that :p:
    Ha! Dr. Shearer!

I think Floella has done a lot more since her pre-school days (lots of charity work etc), so this would give her credibility.

Jonathan Edwards (the tripple jump gold medalist has one too if I recall).

ReputationRep:
    Jonathan Edwards (the tripple jump gold medalist has one too if I recall).
    He does (and one from Ulster also) but at least he also has a "real" degree (from Durham). I'm suprised Newcastle or Northumbria (or even Durham) haven't awarded him one.

ReputationRep:
    "In 1996 Southampton College at Long Island University (now a campus of SUNY Stony Brook) awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Amphibious Letters to Muppet Kermit the Frog. Although some students objected to awarding a degree to a puppet, Kermit delivered an enjoyable commencement address and the small college received considerable press coverage.[12] It should be noted, too, that the degree was conferred in recognition of efforts in the area of environmentalism. Said the university: "His theme song, 'It's Not Easy Bein' Green,' has become a rallying cry of the environmental movement. Kermit has used his celebrity to spread positive messages in public service announcements for the National Wildlife Federation, National Parks Service, the Better World Society, and others." [ From Wiki ]

The worst one has to be the University of Edinburgh who gave one to Zimbabwean leader Robert Mugabe. They did revoke it though, which is important.

So there we go, you can be a muppet Mugabe or a frog like Kermit, and still get a doctorate!!

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of Durham, I thought giving Bill Bryson an honorary degree (I think it was a DLitt but I may be wrong) was quite ludicrous. Making him chancellor the next year was even more desperate.

At least I think he was awarded an honorary degree. Maybe I imagined that. I'm not with it today (but, then again, when am I?)

Proof being my last post. Typing "Exeter" instead of Ulster. I did the same thing earlier on with in an Exeter/Edinburgh thread.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So there we go, you can be a muppet Mugabe or a frog like Kermit, and still get a doctorate!!
    Do you think he's enough of a muppet to be given a doctorate for it, though?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.