The Student Room Group

Deciding my backups

I just discovered my school is making me apply on the 30th September so I don't have time to visit the universities. I am doing Maths at uni and have already obtained A* in Maths and Further Maths and a B in Biology for A levels. I'm planning to take the MAT and if I have to I will retake Biology. But I would prefer to get an offer from my backups without retaking Bio. My first 3 options are Oxford, Imperial and Bristol. My 4th will be either LSE or Kings or Bath. And my 5th I'm thinking about Southampton. Can someone please help me or give me information to make a decision? Thanks
Original post by student080910
I just discovered my school is making me apply on the 30th September so I don't have time to visit the universities. I am doing Maths at uni and have already obtained A* in Maths and Further Maths and a B in Biology for A levels. I'm planning to take the MAT and if I have to I will retake Biology. But I would prefer to get an offer from my backups without retaking Bio. My first 3 options are Oxford, Imperial and Bristol. My 4th will be either LSE or Kings or Bath. And my 5th I'm thinking about Southampton. Can someone please help me or give me information to make a decision? Thanks

London has been extremely difficult to get offers from this year. Bath would appear a better safe bet.

Why not just put Oxford down and add the others later?

Don;t apply to Imperial and Bath is better than Bristol. LSE is toxic so avoid there. Maybe look at Leeds or Nottingham.
Bath - probably the best placement sytem in the UK - and degree options include Data Science - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/mathematical-sciences/ And there are Campus Tours each Saturday for the next few months - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/undergraduate-campus-tours/

There are campus your films on YouTube and often also subject presentations - and you will get an opportunity to vist once you have an offer.

As above, avoid the London Unis - they are definitely not everything they are cracked up to be.
Original post by Muttley79
Why not just put Oxford down and add the others later?

Don;t apply to Imperial and Bath is better than Bristol. LSE is toxic so avoid there. Maybe look at Leeds or Nottingham.

You can do that? How is LSE toxic and where'd you hear that from? And why not Imperial? And how is Bath is better than Bristol? Bare in mind that I'm doing Maths.
Original post by McGinger
Bath - probably the best placement sytem in the UK - and degree options include Data Science - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/mathematical-sciences/ And there are Campus Tours each Saturday for the next few months - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/undergraduate-campus-tours/

There are campus your films on YouTube and often also subject presentations - and you will get an opportunity to vist once you have an offer.

As above, avoid the London Unis - they are definitely not everything they are cracked up to be.

Can you expand on why to avoid London unis?
You can do that? How is LSE toxic and where'd you hear that from? And why not Imperial? And how is Bath is better than Bristol? Bare in mind that I'm doing Maths.

Yes you can add other choices later and many do.

LSE: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/how-the-london-school-of-economics-is-failing-its-students-b24aed5718b5

Imperial has a terrible reputation for student support.

Bath is better for Maths [I teach Maths] and a much nicer place to live as a student.
Original post by Muttley79
Yes you can add other choices later and many do.

LSE: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/how-the-london-school-of-economics-is-failing-its-students-b24aed5718b5

Imperial has a terrible reputation for student support.

Bath is better for Maths [I teach Maths] and a much nicer place to live as a student.

Thanks. This has helped a lot. On a side note, would you know if Bath/Bristol would take into account my MAT score?

I have no particular opinion or expertise on where to study maths, but given your school's policy then I would definitely recommend a phased approach to applications.
Can you expand on why to avoid London unis?

Too many applicants get obsessed with 'London is best' - regardless of the reality.

They are not the best, and despite this they are ludicrously competitive. Every year I see hundreds and hundreds of applicants who applied to Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE not get an offer - ffrom any of them and despite have A* predictions.

AND, the way that these Unis treat applicants is arroagant and rude. This year, KCL coudnt be bothered to enter deciosns for several thousands of applicants and they just 'fell off the edge' in May with auto-rejects from UCAS. These included people who had applied on October and waited all that time just to get the equivalent of a two-fingered gesture from KCL LSE's student population if 67% overseas students, the majority of them Chinese. Nothing wrong with this of course, but it will have an impact an your 'student experience' and is evidence that LSE values overseas fees income over everything else.

Then add in, astronomically high student rents and travelling costs, high levels of street crime and increasing risk of personal safety even in daylight, and the supposed gloss of 'London' wears very thin, very quickly.

For those of you who care about such things, they dont come top of League Tables.
And your graduate career chances are not increased with 'London'.

Once you start to unravel this hype - and thats all it is - other Unis start to look far more attractive : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
Original post by McGinger
Too many applicants get obsessed with 'London is best' - regardless of the reality.

They are not the best, and despite this they are ludicrously competitive. Every year I see hundreds and hundreds of applicants who applied to Imperial, UCL, KCL, LSE not get an offer - ffrom any of them and despite have A* predictions.

AND, the way that these Unis treat applicants is arroagant and rude. This year, KCL coudnt be bothered to enter deciosns for several thousands of applicants and they just 'fell off the edge' in May with auto-rejects from UCAS. These included people who had applied on October and waited all that time just to get the equivalent of a two-fingered gesture from KCL LSE's student population if 67% overseas students, the majority of them Chinese. Nothing wrong with this of course, but it will have an impact an your 'student experience' and is evidence that LSE values overseas fees income over everything else.

Then add in, astronomically high student rents and travelling costs, high levels of street crime and increasing risk of personal safety even in daylight, and the supposed gloss of 'London' wears very thin, very quickly.

For those of you who care about such things, they dont come top of League Tables.
And your graduate career chances are not increased with 'London'.

Once you start to unravel this hype - and thats all it is - other Unis start to look far more attractive : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

I live in south London so it's not really much of a change. I'm only applying to Imperial on the list you mentioned as, amongst other things, the graduate prospects are one of the best for Maths. It is not the fact it is in London. If Imperial was somewhere else I would still apply. And there is a reason why there are 5 options. I could try my luck with Imperial or Oxbridge and still have other options.
I live in south London so it's not really much of a change. I'm only applying to Imperial on the list you mentioned as, amongst other things, the graduate prospects are one of the best for Maths. It is not the fact it is in London. If Imperial was somewhere else I would still apply. And there is a reason why there are 5 options. I could try my luck with Imperial or Oxbridge and still have other options.

That of course is your choice. I hope you dont end like many others with no offers and suffering the same devastating feelings they have.
Original post by swanseajack1
That of course is your choice. I hope you dont end like many others with no offers and suffering the same devastating feelings they have.

I hope so too man. I just wanted to get as much information/opinions as I could from other people for my backups. But Imperial has always been set in stone for me. I really appreciate the advice though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Have you considered places such as Durham, Warwick or Lancaster? They are all good unis, in particular Warwick is for maths (you would most likely have to resit biology though I think)
Original post by Cupcakes12
Have you considered places such as Durham, Warwick or Lancaster? They are all good unis, in particular Warwick is for maths (you would most likely have to resit biology though I think)

Oxford and Imperial are set in stone. The rest are backups pretty much. Warwick is pretty much just as hard to get into so it doesn't make sense for me. Durham is pretty much on par with Cambridge so definitely no.
Oxford and Imperial are set in stone. The rest are backups pretty much. Warwick is pretty much just as hard to get into so it doesn't make sense for me. Durham is pretty much on par with Cambridge so definitely no.

fair enough. I only applied to 1 super competitive place (Oxford) and got offers from all 4 other unis. although, alot of my decisions about where to apply were based off the vibe of the uni rather than the course.
Original post by Cupcakes12
fair enough. I only applied to 1 super competitive place (Oxford) and got offers from all 4 other unis. although, alot of my decisions about where to apply were based off the vibe of the uni rather than the course.

For Maths?
(edited 1 year ago)
For Maths?

mathematics and computer science joint honours

Quick Reply

Latest