Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to decide for A level which subject to choose between these 2. Could someone tell me how much coursework is in each subject and what you have to do. What do the exams involve?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology - no coursework in the first year. You have two papers (1 and half hours each) and they cover:
    Developmental, Social, Research Methods, Cognitive, Individual differences and Biological psychology.

You might find this helpful : http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/psychology_a_AS_new.php

(That's the course you're most likely going to be doing)

Can't really comment on sociology - but looking at the AQA syllabus will give you a better idea: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/sociology_AS_new.php

Edit: I do recommend Psychology over Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    ditto, what Folderol said.
    i say choose psychology, its really intersting and relatively easy!!!

ReputationRep:
    I agree also. Psychology's a really intresting course and the exams aren't to hard if u do the work. also u get to do ure own experiment for the coursework so that can be really good. although I did consider sociology, but I'd go with Psych

ReputationRep:
    SOCIOLOGY IS EVIL! DO NOT DO IT! Worst mistake of my life doing that for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliewog)
    I agree also. Psychology's a really intresting course and the exams aren't to hard if u do the work. also u get to do ure own experiment for the coursework so that can be really good. although I did consider sociology, but I'd go with Psych
    There is no longer any coursework in the whole course - introduction of new syllabus (just 4 units, 4 papers - all 1hour and 30mins except 4th which is 2 hours).

ReputationRep:
    sociology all day long you will enjoy it.
    open ended answers.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Psychology is great

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want to do with it, really. as well as which one you'll enjoy more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NataliexRx)
    I need to decide for A level which subject to choose between these 2. Could someone tell me how much coursework is in each subject and what you have to do. What do the exams involve?
    Alright. I'm in year 12 now and I do both. Both are quite good subjects and I plan to continue them both next year.

I would say that Psychology is far more demanding than Sociology and you've got to learn a hell of a lot more. Sociology is also quite easy to understand in terms of research methods and the main concepts, where as Pshyc can be slighty harder. I think either would be good for you, but Sociology is much easier to understand is the work load is less. Neither have coursework.

ReputationRep:
    psychology.. probably harder but more interesting

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, do Sociology. It's more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folderol)
    There is no longer any coursework in the whole course - introduction of new syllabus (just 4 units, 4 papers - all 1hour and 30mins except 4th which is 2 hours).
    Really? Nooooooooooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald Lies)
    SOCIOLOGY IS EVIL! DO NOT DO IT! Worst mistake of my life doing that for 2 years.
    I agree. :yep:

No one is happy in Sociology...the Marxists are never happy...the Feminists are never happy...and the Functionalists...well they're just naive (in terms of family :yep: ). And Jock Young is a traitor.

Go for Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott8anthony)
    I'm going to get torn apart now, but do neither, and instead do a proper subject. Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, maybe even History, and then you have a subject that's worth the paper it's written on!
    You shouldn't do a subject because it's "proper." Do ones you enjoy or you may end up dropping out/ getting kicked out for getting behind, missing those BORING lessons. I do psychology, it's alright, Sociology is easier (according to my friend who does both.)

ReputationRep:
    Sociology

ReputationRep:
    If a subject has no purpose, it will be impossible for the candidate to achieve the 'self-actualisation' level on Maslow's Motivational Hierarchy. Thus the candidate will drop out anyway. Learn to love the proper sciences for the benefit they bring to humankind.
    If you say so.

ReputationRep:
    :p:
    Just say of you disagree! Isn't this what forums are for? People being completely bias to the subjects they have taken!:o:
    Haha yeah. I just can't stand science! :p:
    I think I would rather get a job than sit through another Physics lesson ever again!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer psychology (though am doing both at degree!) it's a lot more fact based and interesting.

:clip:

ReputationRep:
    Phycology is hard. Don't let people tell you it's not. It's interesting but I got a U for AS and am now doing AS and A2 in one year and there is a lot to learn! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.