Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology or Sociology? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ѕнαℓiηα)
    I agree. :yep:

No one is happy in Sociology...the Marxists are never happy...the Feminists are never happy...and the Functionalists...well they're just naive (in terms of family :yep: ). And Jock Young is a traitor.

Go for Psychology.

Haha awesome! The radical feminists always made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    I did Sociology at GCSE; it was interesting at first but felt a bit dull and repetitive after 2 years. I now do Psychology and am loving it.

For Psychology it depends on your exam board. My school does AQA A. The link below directs to the exam board website which contains the new Psychology spec.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/psychology_a_new.php

If you need anymore info feel free to PM me, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald Lies)
    Haha awesome! The radical feminists always made me laugh.
    Yeah I know. I always used to imagine a butch woman with a shaven head for some reason...

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE sociology and am now doing AS psychology (along with physics, chemistry and maths...psychology makes a nice break from science! :p:) and am finding psychology a bit more interesting, although I've found the research methods part of GCSE sociology quite helpful for understanding certain parts of what I've done in psychology so far.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology , my biology told me that socilogy is an evil A level for some reason ...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Sociology rocks! With AQA, no coursework but 4x1.5 hour exams and a really interesting course.

In terms of your personal subject choice, it depends if you want to focus on the human individual and the mind in Psychology or society and human relations in Sociology. Either way, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott8anthony)
    If a subject has no purpose, it will be impossible for the candidate to achieve the 'self-actualisation' level on Maslow's Motivational Hierarchy. Thus the candidate will drop out anyway. Learn to love the proper sciences for the benefit they bring to humankind.
    wtf are you talking about? Of course psychology and sociology have purpose
    Psychological research and their findings have brought more noticable 'benefit to humankind' in terms of health, education and social interaction than, say, physics. I'm not saying subjects like physics are useless (the opposite, actually) but you really shouldn't be so elitist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokiri)
    wtf are you talking about? Of course psychology and sociology have purpose
    Psychological research and their findings have brought more noticable 'benefit to humankind' in terms of health, education and social interaction than, say, physics. I'm not saying subjects like physics are useless (the opposite, actually) but you really shouldn't be so elitist.
    Don't let him get to you. Natural scientists have a habit of being narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology ftw. I find it fascinating, personally.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to get torn apart now, but do neither, and instead do a proper subject. Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, maybe even History, and then you have a subject that's worth the paper it's written on!
    The above quote hardly screams "open-minded", doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    why dont people post some of the most interesting things in sociollogy or psychology they have learnt to see which appeals more? lol just a thought

ReputationRep:
    I question this point! And I would hope they have done more for social interaction, as that is what they are all about. Could you please give some examples of this benefit?
    Sure.
    I assume you don't know much about psychology as a practice, otherwise you'd be aware that social interaction is only one part of psychology; the broad spectrum of which encapsulates things like neuroscience and brain biochemistry too. I'm not talking out of my arse here; I'm doing a degree in it. In fact, I'm working on an essay right now on prenatal development.

Regarding to health, we can begin with stress as a physiological response, which is studied at AS level. Krantz et al. (1991) found that stress has a direct influence on some aspects of body functioning, as stressful tasks caused myocardial ischemia (which can cause cardiovascular disorders) and higher blood pressure in the participants. Williams (2000) found that initially healthy participants who often felt a lot of anger were more likely to have experienced a heart attack some years later. Also, it has been found that long-term stress can cause delays in wound healing.

Moving on, anorexia nervosa has been linked to high levels of seratonin and noradrenaline (compared to low levels, which has been said to cause bulimia). This has led to treatments which increase or decrease the levels of these neurotransmitters. Genetic factors can also cause a vulnerability to eating disorders. And it's not only biological - factors relating to cognition, media and upbringing also have an effect.

There is also the field of neuropsychology, the practicioners in which treat sufferers of brain diseases, tumours, strokes and more; helping improve their conditions and working with them so they can lead as normal a life as possible.

And these are only the very basics, and only relating to physical health. It probably goes without saying that psychology has done a lot for mental health.

In terms of education, there have been studies investigating under which conditions and in what kind of environment children work and flourish best in; how peer collaboration can improve the children's perspectives; there have been many (still ongoing) debates and studies into the efficiency of the National Curriculum and exams. For example, Vygotsky's zone of proximal development theory claims that learning through guidance and assisstance in important, because, with interaction, the child's intermental ability eventually becomes intramental ability. There is also Wood's two rules of effective teaching. The first is that any failure by a child to successfully do something after being given help should be met by "an immediate increase in the level of control". The second is that if the child is successful, the adult should decrease the level of control. Studies on these 'rules' have found that teaching according to them resulted in the children being more able to complete tasks alone.

There's a lot more, and I haven't really gone into detail with any of them cos I'm bored now, but I hope it addresses your question?

Psychology isn't perfect - no academic field is. But I get sick of seeing it continuosly degraded and disregarded, particularly as a lot of things in society have been shaped by psychological research without the general public ever really being aware of it. Even things like arcades, for goodness' sake.

ReputationRep:
    I say psycology. When applying for uni some uni's actually write they prefer traditional subjects, not subjects ike business studies, or sociology etc etc. This is not my opinion but what i have actually read on university websites (i think it was for LSE or cambridge). But yh id defo say Psycology

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.