Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

KPMG Gap Year Scheme - numerical and verbal tests - Anyone done them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who applied to KPMG done this test yet? If so, is it harder than the practice one? And is it in the same form?

As in, for the verbal one, I know that its the same passage but different questions on it.

How many questions are on it? I know each is 20 mins long but how many questions?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    real test is harder than the practice i think.

u should expect to finish each verbal question in 30s, each numerical within 1min.

24 questions in numerical

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, ive done them. they are quite hard esp. if its your first time ever doing online tests. It was my first time and I passed numercial but failed verbal.
    What other gap schemes are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anywind)
    real test is harder than the practice i think.

u should expect to finish each verbal question in 30s, each numerical within 1min.

24 questions in numerical
    How long is the test? And are they 2 separate tests? And you said there are 24 questions on the numerical, how many on the verbal?

And on the practice one I did online, for both the verbal and the numerical, it was the same passage/extract but with different questions - Is it the same in the real test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2strong)
    How long is the test? And are they 2 separate tests? And you said there are 24 questions on the numerical, how many on the verbal?

And on the practice one I did online, for both the verbal and the numerical, it was the same passage/extract but with different questions - Is it the same in the real test?
    As far as I remember, you may get a couple of questions on the same data in the numerical, but it doesn't really help you much because you're going to be looking at different parts of it for different questions if that makes any sense - look at SHL / PSL tests and you'll see what I mean. The only real difference, as pointed out on this forum, is that the questions often require more calculations.

As for the verbal, similar thing, one passage and then maybe four questions on it, and then another passage. (Don't know about the numbers)

Main point is, knowing the numbers doesn't really help - just try your hardest.

ReputationRep:
    I sat mine a few days ago. I answered 8 our of the maths and 24 in the english and i passed both. I went for accuracy (however was panicing on the maths one!) I wish i had known before hand to skip the Qs i didnt know by first glance straight away!

the maths one are the same set up as the english, one graph/table with 4 Qs for each.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steffy)
    I sat mine a few days ago. I answered 8 our of the maths and 24 in the english and i passed both. I went for accuracy (however was panicing on the maths one!) I wish i had known before hand to skip the Qs i didnt know by first glance straight away!

the maths one are the same set up as the english, one graph/table with 4 Qs for each.
    So you got 8/24 at most on the Maths, and 24/40 on the verbal at most? AND PASSED! Hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Correct, i answered 8 and 24 in maths and english respectively. I am confident that i got all of the maths questions i answered correct and the good majority of english ones correct. I have my interview tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Correct, i answered 8 and 24 in maths and english respectively. I am confident that i got all of the maths questions i answered correct and the good majority of english ones correct. I have my interview tomorrow.
    hey how did the interview go? i got an interview somepoint the next two weeks too.. just not with KPMG but with deliotte ( because i messed up for verbal test for KPMG!)
    any tips on the interview?

ReputationRep:
    This is aimed at graduates but you should probably still prepare for all the questions mentioned

http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/kpmg-interview-questions

wikijob in general has some very good advice, look around the site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lili_220)
    hey how did the interview go? i got an interview somepoint the next two weeks too.. just not with KPMG but with deliotte ( because i messed up for verbal test for KPMG!)
    any tips on the interview?
    I passed the interview stage.

Tips, hmm, be yourself, be confident, make an effort in your appearence.

I was more relaxed for my interview because i had traveled down the day before (its over a 4 hour train journey for me). So i was able to get a good night sleep etc.

Make sure you prepare based on the competencies they give you, make sure u can give examples to prove them. With your questions at the end, take an interest in the career of the interviewer. That went really well for me (I ended up gaining a lot of good insights from it!)

Good luck with your interview

ReputationRep:
    I passed the interview stage.

Tips, hmm, be yourself, be confident, make an effort in your appearence.

I was more relaxed for my interview because i had traveled down the day before (its over a 4 hour train journey for me). So i was able to get a good night sleep etc.

Make sure you prepare based on the competencies they give you, make sure u can give examples to prove them. With your questions at the end, take an interest in the career of the interviewer. That went really well for me (I ended up gaining a lot of good insights from it!)

Good luck with your interview
    oh that is a really good question to ask actually!!
    thank you sooo much!!
    so are you at working at deliotte now?

ReputationRep:
    oh that is a really good question to ask actually!!
    thank you sooo much!!
    so are you at working at deliotte now?

I assume you mean the applications? No, Deliotte is not a company i would want to work for. I have have only applied to PwC and KPMG, KPMG being my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean the applications? No, Deliotte is not a company i would want to work for. I have have only applied to PwC and KPMG, KPMG being my first choice.
    oh really? why do you say that?
    its nice to get some opinion because i dont know anyone who works for the firm.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone applied for Rothschild - do u know when the deadline for applications to their gap year scheme is??

ReputationRep:
    oh really? why do you say that?
    its nice to get some opinion because i dont know anyone who works for the firm.
    Personaly, i want to work for a company that is very aware of their CSR, an In my opinion (And i stress that this is only MY OPINION) i dont feel deloitte is. My view is that you spent the majority of your life in work, and i want to be very proud of the company i work for, but i also want to help make a difference, when i say that to people i usualy get "oh why don't you go and work for a charity then?!" But i feel that a business is more equipt to make a difference in the world, and just look how many businesses there are. If evey one can do a little bit, the world would be a diffrent place (it sounds a lot les pagenty in my head haha!!)

When you read anything about KPMG (not on their website!!) it more than always mention their "people" even the chairman in his report said that the 2 things that make KPMG stand out is their people and their CSR. I love the way that it is the people that make the business, not the business that make the people.

This is my view on things, and i dont mean to rattle anyone that works for/ knows someone who works for/ loves and wants to work for Deloitte!! I just wouldnt choose Delotte over KPMF or PwC for those reasons (even if they may be better at anything else, or pay more, as for me, they are not the factors influencing where i apply)

ReputationRep:
    Personaly, i want to work for a company that is very aware of their CSR, an In my opinion (And i stress that this is only MY OPINION) i dont feel deloitte is. My view is that you spent the majority of your life in work, and i want to be very proud of the company i work for, but i also want to help make a difference, when i say that to people i usualy get "oh why don't you go and work for a charity then?!" But i feel that a business is more equipt to make a difference in the world, and just look how many businesses there are. If evey one can do a little bit, the world would be a diffrent place (it sounds a lot les pagenty in my head haha!!)

When you read anything about KPMG (not on their website!!) it more than always mention their "people" even the chairman in his report said that the 2 things that make KPMG stand out is their people and their CSR. I love the way that it is the people that make the business, not the business that make the people.

This is my view on things, and i dont mean to rattle anyone that works for/ knows someone who works for/ loves and wants to work for Deloitte!! I just wouldnt choose Delotte over KPMF or PwC for those reasons (even if they may be better at anything else, or pay more, as for me, they are not the factors influencing where i apply)

you are right, in that KPMG are really hot on CSR!:yep:
    and i've also heard from a friend that the work at KPMG tend to be a lot more interesting and hands on, where as at deloitte it takes a while to build trust in new worker ( that is just opinions from people as well )

but unfortunately, i can afford to be picky. my KPMG verbal test was a disaster (scored 10% but 80% on the numerical one). so in all fairness, i would give a lot to work for any of the big four to get me on.

nevertheless, i like your attitude towards it, it would have showed through your interview so thats probably why you got through! nice work.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    you are right, in that KPMG are really hot on CSR!:yep:
    and i've also heard from a friend that the work at KPMG tend to be a lot more interesting and hands on, where as at deloitte it takes a while to build trust in new worker ( that is just opinions from people as well )

but unfortunately, i can afford to be picky. my KPMG verbal test was a disaster (scored 10% but 80% on the numerical one). so in all fairness, i would give a lot to work for any of the big four to get me on.

nevertheless, i like your attitude towards it, it would have showed through your interview so thats probably why you got through! nice work.:woo:
    Aye, i love that they worg with local schools improving the reading levels of the children, so if i get the job i will be so taking advantage of the 1/2 day a month to work with children.

Owch! Poor thing! But u did so so well in the numerical! i never found out my scores, i think i was just so overwhelmed that i passed that i forgot to ask. Who else have you applied for? Have you done the PwC tests? I found them soo ridiculously easier than KPMG!

Thankyou I liked the responce i got from the interviewer when she asked me why i want to work for KPMG and not anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    i checked on Deloitte, they do mention CSR and all that jazz but how much of it is for show i don know.

OMG they still havnt given me an interview date!!!
    how long did u have to wait in between offer and interview taking place? its been two weeks now. i cant make any plans for the holidays because im scared they will demand a day and i will not be able to negotiate with them.

i had a mock interview the other day and the interviewer just kept on interupting and saying 'SLOW DOWN'...
    humm the way i think it about it, faster you do it the faster you get it down.
    maybe not the best stategy eh? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2strong)
    has anyone applied for Rothschild - do u know when the deadline for applications to their gap year scheme is??
    yeah ive applied to rothschild!
    you get a letter after you send the application form saying something on the lines of: ' we are not making any decisions (or touching these applications untill the new year) so speak to you then'
    so im assuming that the deadline will be in the new year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.