The Student Room Group

Appeal ,been withdrawn!!!!

Scroll to see replies

You don’t stand a chance.

You cheated and got caught and they will not take you back as you have not followed any procedure in a timely manner.

Sorry but have no time for people who cheat
Take this as a lesson learned.

You want to claim mental illness prevented you from completing the work without cheating and asking for an extension/MC at the time of submitting. Yet you submitted the work and don’t have any evidence that you were struggling with mental illness (no counselling appointments, no GP note about asking for help with the stress).

You need to move on and come up with a new plan - probably at a different university.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I have written a reason why I didn’t complete an extenuating circumstance form on time, is it a good enough reason? I’ll copy and paste it below:

‘During the summer, specifically around July 2022, was when I first noticed symptoms of breast cancer and started having breast cancer scares. It took a toll on my mental health. It affected me mentally, emotionally and physically. I started to lose weight due to stress. I always had scary thoughts and I was extremely anxious that I couldn’t sleep properly and would wake up in the middle of the night due to emotional distress. The only thing that was on my mind was my health and if I have breast cancer. Managing university and other stuff in my life felt very difficult for me. Even completing the work that I was supposed to do (my resit report), was hard for me to put my mind to it. I did not complete the extenuating circumstances form on time because I was scared of facing anything that had to do with my health; at the time I wanted to protect my mental health. I was always distracting myself throughout most of the summer and trying to not think about breast cancer. I had many mental breakdowns, when it came to university,because of the fear my health would affect my academic life. I have learnt my lesson to seek support and the importance of submitting an extenuating circumstance form on time.’

I am 95% sure that this appeal will fail. From a procedural point of view, none of this is very convincing; you could have told them at the time.
(edited 1 year ago)
Take this as a lesson learned.

You want to claim mental illness prevented you from completing the work without cheating and asking for an extension/MC at the time of submitting. Yet you submitted the work and don’t have any evidence that you were struggling with mental illness (no counselling appointments, no GP note about asking for help with the stress).

You need to move on and come up with a new plan - probably at a different university.

I have a GP letter from a doctor 👍🏽And I’ve shown it to my SU advisor and she said it is fine and seems good to use in my appeal.
It was successful:smile:

Original post by gjd800
I am 95% sure that this appeal will fail. From a procedural point of view, none of this is very convincing; you could have told them at the time.
What a shame, now you are free to cheat again.

Hope you fail your whole degree when the time comes.

You are a cheat and nothing else

No need to be so harsh smh. OP had mental health issues and got an extension. What’s wrong with that? Thousands of students get an extension per year.

I know someone who I only saw in three lectures in year 2 who was still able to progress into her 3.
No need to be so harsh smh. OP had mental health issues and got an extension. What’s wrong with that? Thousands of students get an extension per year.

I know someone who I only saw in three lectures in year 2 who was still able to progress into her 3.

Nothing wrong with that, except they also admitted they committed plagiarism hence the cheating comments
Nothing wrong with that, except they also admitted they committed plagiarism hence the cheating comments

How did they plagiarise again?

They explained in post #4.
Original post by Admit-One
They explained in post #4.

Not exactly surprising that they let OP resit (Personally I think academic misconduct of that nature should constitute an expulsion) as all universities care about these days is money. They generate money by getting bums on seats. There’s very few ways you can actually get expelled aside from actively failing the degree.

It was sentence, that i didn’t reference properly

Thank you. It’s good to spread kindness always.
It was successful:smile:

I am really pleased for you - you've beaten the odds and I wish you every success. Well done@
Original post by gjd800
I am really pleased for you - you've beaten the odds and I wish you every success. Well done@

Thank you so much. I have to take the failed module into the year and attend clinical sessions in March and work on my assignment from then to may. and I’ll start year 2 sep’23.
Thank you so much. I have to take the failed module into the year and attend clinical sessions in March and work on my assignment from then to may. and I’ll start year 2 sep’23.

Fantastic, this really is the very best possible outcome and I hope it's a springboard to continued successes.
Original post by gjd800
Fantastic, this really is the very best possible outcome and I hope it's a springboard to continued successes.

Thank you. I wish you every success too. Thank you for spreading kindness.
Reply 36
Hello i am going through similar situation as yours I have failed a module three times and I have been withdrawn from the course I have applied for additional consideration providing them with proofs of my mental health break down and my father’s psychotic illness
Reply 37
Original post by Zahwa
Hello i am going through similar situation as yours I have failed a module three times and I have been withdrawn from the course I have applied for additional consideration providing them with proofs of my mental health break down and my father’s psychotic illness

Three times is a lot, even with mitigation in place. That you have taken a resit twice suggests to me that you already had some mitigation considered- is this correct?
^ Failing a module 3 times??? I'm surprised they even let you take it again after 2 failed attempts and I'm afraid it's not looking good. Never heard of a uni allowing a fourth attempt for the same module.
Reply 39
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
^ Failing a module 3 times??? I'm surprised they even let you take it again after 2 failed attempts and I'm afraid it's not looking good. Never heard of a uni allowing a fourth attempt for the same module.

Me neither and I deal with student failures and mitigation claims pretty much every day.

Quick Reply