The Student Room Group

R.E./R.S. GCSE Revision Tips?

Hi, just wondering what types of revision you guys did/are doing for religious studies GCSE because I have no idea where to start or what to do. I figure I should write notes and maybe flashcards for sources of wisdom/authorities, but I don't really know what else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing Edexcel Christianity and Islam if that's of any use. Thanks :smile:
Original post by FoodAndSpooks
Hi, just wondering what types of revision you guys did/are doing for religious studies GCSE because I have no idea where to start or what to do. I figure I should write notes and maybe flashcards for sources of wisdom/authorities, but I don't really know what else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing Edexcel Christianity and Islam if that's of any use. Thanks :smile:

i would definitely recommend watching revision vids and using bbc bitesize to make sure you understand everything first and then write notes with it . then start creating flashcards to start revising and when exams come writing like mind maps or 'brain dumps' really help (you basically just write down all the info you remember about the certain topic ) and i revise any info i forgot and didn't include on the mind map
sorry if this sounded a bit confusing haha. hope this helps <3
Original post by wonyoung.12
i would definitely recommend watching revision vids and using bbc bitesize to make sure you understand everything first and then write notes with it . then start creating flashcards to start revising and when exams come writing like mind maps or 'brain dumps' really help (you basically just write down all the info you remember about the certain topic ) and i revise any info i forgot and didn't include on the mind map
sorry if this sounded a bit confusing haha. hope this helps <3

Omg that's wonderful tysm! This helps sm!

I got a grade 9 and I was part of 2022's cohort. So I have many tips since RS was one of my strongest subjects and I did the same topics as you
1) Print off the spec! Everything you will be tested is on there!
2) Don't be overwhelmed by the amount of quotes you need to know since you don't actually need to know tons. I'd recommend learning only the ones in the spec + a couple more from the textbook in each topic
3) Make question/answer flashcards to memorise all content. It's a form of active recall so very beneficial.
4) Practising writing 15 markers is literally so important. Make sure you're evaluating in 15 markers too. You always should use the phrase, 'This is a strong argument/a weak argument because...'
5) Memorise mark scheme answers. A lot that come up last year I knew how to answer because I memorised answers from past year papers.
Lmk if you need any more tips! Hope they're useful

I didn't do edexcel RS, but one thing that you should definitely do is do lotsss of past paper questions, and mark them. This way, you know what the examiner will be looking for. It'll also help you to structure your answers accordingly and to know the key points that you need. But I think RS is very opinion based, so I really enjoyed it because of that:smile:. Also make sure that you know a few quotes, they don't necessarily need to be long ones, so as long as they back up your point you'll be fine.

Hey,
I would definitely recommend making mind maps and doing practice questions/ papers. Looking at the feedback for the previous years can also be really helpful (you should be able to find this on the website). I also revision websites really good, especially bbc bitesize and some really good quizzes have been made on quizlet too.
Also the spec online can be really helpful and after a bit of digging you can find past student papers that can be helpful too. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher for help too, I'm sure they want you to succeed.

Hope this helps,

Eleanor
-Student Ambassador

Quick Reply