The Student Room Group

Low Ranking Uni to High Ranking Uni for PostGraduate in CS

So I am currently starting at a low-ranking Uni and want to do my Masters in Computer Science at a high-ranking uni. Except for getting a first what should I do/be doing to achieve this?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

1. Get a 2.1.

2. Have the money.
Original post by ageshallnot
1. Get a 2.1.

2. Have the money.

I feel like you need more than that would you not ? :confused:
Original post by High Aimer

Depends on the university and the course, some taught programs are very easy if you have a 2.1 in a relevant undergraduate and others are more competitive.

But you also have to consider how you will fund your masters studies (it’s not the same as UG).
Original post by mnot
Depends on the university and the course, some taught programs are very easy if you have a 2.1 in a relevant undergraduate and others are more competitive.

But you also have to consider how you will fund your masters studies (it’s not the same as UG).

Placement year potentially or Working a year before my masters

For the vast majority of masters degrees? Nope. It’s all about whether you are willing to pay. If you don’t pass then the university still gets paid.
Original post by mnot

You have to pay for masters??? No loans? TIL.
Original post by blabla2020202
You have to pay for masters??? No loans? TIL.

of course you have to pay...

Their is a masters loan system but it is not the wholesale funding system like you have with undergraduate degrees.
Original post by mnot

Their is a masters loan system but it is not the wholesale funding system like you have with undergraduate degrees.

lmao oops I worded it wrong. :colondollar:

Why do unis offer MScs from the get go then like Oxbridge do? Do they just expect the student to pay?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by blabla2020202
lmao oops I worded it wrong. :colondollar:

Why do unis offer MScs from the get go then like Oxbridge do? Do they just expect the student to pay?

They dont, they offer MSci which is an integrated masters (an undergraduate masters degree.. covered by standard UG funding. The MSc is a postgraduate masters). PG masters offer different benefits depending what a student want.

this will be my last response to prevent derailing the thread.
Sone better university ask for a “high” 2.1 so check any you consider applying for, all the information is in the websites
Course higher ranking ones charge more too!
Original post by Catherine1973
Sone better university ask for a “high” 2.1 so check any you consider applying for, all the information is in the websites
Course higher ranking ones charge more too!

Potentially a place like oxford is what i am considering
Original post by mnot

Is the loan system for masters cover the cost partially or how does it work?
Just to specify. I am aiming for places like St Andrews, Cambridge or Oxford
Is the loan system for masters cover the cost partially or how does it work?

You receive about £12k into your bank account then how you use it is up to you, course/living expenses etc. (it’s worth noting the £9k/year cap on undergraduate degrees does not exist so they can charge more).

Most students need savings/family support or a job to complete a masters financially.

Additionally it’s a separate loan with different repayment terms to your ug degree so you’ll have 2 separate debts.
Just to specify. I am aiming for places like St Andrews, Cambridge or Oxford

For CS?

what do you want to use your masters for?
Well Oxford wants a first and is probably highly compute get in.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/msc-advanced-computer-science
Original post by PQ
For CS?

what do you want to use your masters for?

I don't have any particular idea yet. I just don't want the time to come and i haven't got good things on my CV that make my application good for a master.

That's what I mean. I am curious about what I should be doing in my years as an undergrad to make my application stand out.

At >£14k for home fees when the postgraduate loan offers ~£12k and is supposed to cover fees and living costs - for a theory heavy course that isn’t going to be much help with getting employment in a subject where anyone interested in research would have an MSci and go straight to doctorate study…no it won’t be competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending