The Student Room Group

My study blog :)

Hi all,

Before I get into this I have a confession. I never really thought I'd need studying. Ever since primary I was succeeding academically without any further assistance, sometimes with teachers giving me harder work than the rest of the class etc. It was similar for GCSEs. I did the most in the year (13 in total!) and got seven 9s, five 8s and one 7 with very limited revision. Overall academic life seemed pretty good. But during that time I was also more motivated to study. My dad would often find me up doing maths work rather than sleeping because I genuinely enjoyed it. I also think some of it was because I'd recently overcome depression and all of my bullying had stopped, so I was working off of a new found high in a way. But now that 2 years have gone by, it all feels so different. I have no motivation, and it feels like my ADD has gotten worse. I'm on the waiting list for some medication but I don't know when I'll get it. It could be years.

I basically lazed my way through year 12. My end of year mock grades were A*BB. They aren't particularly bad I suppose, but I know I'm capable of so much more. That's what frustrates me.

So this year I've decided to try and pull myself together. Here are some techniques I'm gonna try and use:
1. Back in year 11 I found some binaural beats on youtube that really helped me focus, so I'm gonna try and find them again and hopefully they'll work. I've found music to be too overstimulating if I listen to it for too long.
2. Quizlet plus. I'm hoping that the fact that I paid money for something will motivate me to use it.
3. I saw on tiktok that lots of people with ADHD will go to a public space and pretend that everyone around them is looking to see if they're being productive as a way to motivate them, instead of being in an isolated quiet space. I hope this works, because in a weird way I can find the silence and isolation of my study space to be uncomfortable and therefore distracting. Even in my school's silent study room, the fact that other people are in there means that I feel judged if I'm just lazing around. For this I think I'm gonna use my local library. I'm a bit scared of this because I don't want to accidentally encounter some of my ex-bullies, and I very rarely leave the house in general, especially by myself.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the idea of prizes (everyone does), but I'm not doing it just for that. I think holding myself accountable (however much future me might hate me for it) will be a good first step in keeping me dedicated.

I understand that this is a long post, the other will probably be shorter. Hope you guys enjoy my journey :smile:

Lilly x
That tip for studying with ADHD sound really good, I'll try it! I was (and kinda still am) also "bad" at studying. I never needed it. Not even too much during the uni admission exam (in my country it was called PSU back then). Now in uni I'm struggling a lot. What kinda helped is that I made an "honest studygram" account. I post my success while studying, but also I say "yeaaaah, but I procrastinated the whole week" or "yeah, I studied a lot for my IELTS exam, but I haven't read a single page of Bourdieu". In this exact moment I'm replying to you instead of reading Bourdieu, I'm not even a student of a British uni yet, I'm still applying to the exchange program!
I hope you obtain the grades that you want and your method succeeds
Reply 2
Original post by angelavm
That tip for studying with ADHD sound really good, I'll try it! I was (and kinda still am) also "bad" at studying. I never needed it. Not even too much during the uni admission exam (in my country it was called PSU back then). Now in uni I'm struggling a lot. What kinda helped is that I made an "honest studygram" account. I post my success while studying, but also I say "yeaaaah, but I procrastinated the whole week" or "yeah, I studied a lot for my IELTS exam, but I haven't read a single page of Bourdieu". In this exact moment I'm replying to you instead of reading Bourdieu, I'm not even a student of a British uni yet, I'm still applying to the exchange program!
I hope you obtain the grades that you want and your method succeeds

It's great to hear that I'm not the only one, and I hope your exchange goes well! This morning I've been procrastinating, but I've put my phone outside my room and I'm going to try and find those binaural beats that I used to use. I'm taking it one step at a time and slowly implementing things so I can build it up as a habit, instead of overwhelming myself with lots of changes at once.
Reply 3
Update time!

I managed to find the binaural beats and a quick body check video to do before so I can really focus. I think it's helped, it might be a placebo effect or too soon to tell though.

I've also decided to stay after school to study when I need to. I think part of the problem is that at home I have more distractions, even if I have my phone switched off etc. Yesterday I stayed until 5.20pm writing an essay. The time went by surprisingly quickly, and to be honest productiveness felt a lot better than procrastination in that moment.

I've gotten back into the habit of reading, which can be good, but I've noticed that sometimes I'll be thinking about the last chapter I read instead of focusing, or tempted to pick it up and keep reading instead of revising (oops!). I finished another book today, so maybe I shouldn't start another one.

Overall I think I'm getting back into the habit of studying, which feels good tbh.

I've also finally decided on where I'm applying to for university, and my application is close to done, so hopefully I can send it off soon!

Don't know how many people read this, but sleep well everybody and thank you for sharing this journey with me!

Lilly x
Original post by noeminvm
Update time!

I managed to find the binaural beats and a quick body check video to do before so I can really focus. I think it's helped, it might be a placebo effect or too soon to tell though.

I've also decided to stay after school to study when I need to. I think part of the problem is that at home I have more distractions, even if I have my phone switched off etc. Yesterday I stayed until 5.20pm writing an essay. The time went by surprisingly quickly, and to be honest productiveness felt a lot better than procrastination in that moment.

I've gotten back into the habit of reading, which can be good, but I've noticed that sometimes I'll be thinking about the last chapter I read instead of focusing, or tempted to pick it up and keep reading instead of revising (oops!). I finished another book today, so maybe I shouldn't start another one.

Overall I think I'm getting back into the habit of studying, which feels good tbh.

I've also finally decided on where I'm applying to for university, and my application is close to done, so hopefully I can send it off soon!

Don't know how many people read this, but sleep well everybody and thank you for sharing this journey with me!

Lilly x

That’s awesome! Congrats!
Update time!

Lilly x

Sounds great, I'm rooting for you!

The more I re-read this, the more I find myself nodding along and relating to SO many of these points tbh lmao

I know you can do this, I'll definitely be following along closely!
Reply 6
Thank so much @angelavm and @HollyLeafUK
Your support really means so much to me x
Thank so much @angelavm and @HollyLeafUK
Your support really means so much to me x

Hmu anytime, and I'd love to further discuss our common experiences!
Reply 8
Update time!

I've been using quizlet plus recently and it's helping me so much to remember my studies for sociology. I have a little system in place:
1. I make sure my sociology flashcard folder is in alphabetical order
2. I use my calculator to pick a random number between 1 and however many flashcards I have in my folder at the time.
3. I count down the list until I get to whichever number flashcards I got and study them
4. I repeat this process again
5. I make a note of the flashcards I studied and study them the next day using the "test" feature.
6. If I still remembered them then I wait 2/3 days before I look at them again. If not, them I study them again and put them on my list for the next day

So far this system is working and I'm getting through all my studies pretty well without trying to cram them in all at once.

I'm slightly worried for maths though. So far it isn't a major problem, but there's a couple of topics from last year that I'm still struggling on, and a topic that I was meant to be taught that I haven't. I've been on youtube and I've found some pretty helpful videos, but it's hard to find practice questions that aren't just exam questions which include multiple topics or the topic more in depth then what I'm trying to learn at that moment. I've ordered my year 2 textbook so hopefully when it arrives I'll be a lot more relaxed about it, but in the mean time it's on my mind a little.

Hope you're all doing great!

Lilly x
If you're struggling with certain math concepts, feel free to message me (or let us know right on here) and I'll definitely try to help if I'm able! I probably won't know the concepts you're learning, but ... just in case, lol
Update time!

I've been using quizlet plus recently and it's helping me so much to remember my studies for sociology. I have a little system in place:
1. I make sure my sociology flashcard folder is in alphabetical order
2. I use my calculator to pick a random number between 1 and however many flashcards I have in my folder at the time.
3. I count down the list until I get to whichever number flashcards I got and study them
4. I repeat this process again
5. I make a note of the flashcards I studied and study them the next day using the "test" feature.
6. If I still remembered them then I wait 2/3 days before I look at them again. If not, them I study them again and put them on my list for the next day

So far this system is working and I'm getting through all my studies pretty well without trying to cram them in all at once.

I'm slightly worried for maths though. So far it isn't a major problem, but there's a couple of topics from last year that I'm still struggling on, and a topic that I was meant to be taught that I haven't. I've been on youtube and I've found some pretty helpful videos, but it's hard to find practice questions that aren't just exam questions which include multiple topics or the topic more in depth then what I'm trying to learn at that moment. I've ordered my year 2 textbook so hopefully when it arrives I'll be a lot more relaxed about it, but in the mean time it's on my mind a little.

Hope you're all doing great!

Lilly x

Nice! If you struggle with sociology I can help you. I study sociology at uni. I’m also a math tutor
Reply 11
Thank you so much for offering, it's really kind of you. I'll be sure to ask you when I need it :smile:
Nice! If you struggle with sociology I can help you. I study sociology at uni. I’m also a math tutor
Reply 12
Update time!

Hi all, I know it's been a while. In all honesty, this week hasn't felt anywhere near as productive as last week. I went to the sociology revision session though, and I think I'll keep going to that. I've learnt lots more studies, so at least that's looking good. I haven't been sleeping very well this week, and I think that's been affecting my ability to work/revise well. This coming week I'm gonna try and go to bed earlier, and get back on my sleep medication.

On a different note, I'm going to the Leicester open day tomorrow, so hopefully it will be useful. I've finished my personal statement and most of my application on UCAS and I can't wait to send it off, it's gonna be terrifying and exciting all at once!

Hope you're doing well
Lilly x
Update time!

Hi all, I know it's been a while. In all honesty, this week hasn't felt anywhere near as productive as last week. I went to the sociology revision session though, and I think I'll keep going to that. I've learnt lots more studies, so at least that's looking good. I haven't been sleeping very well this week, and I think that's been affecting my ability to work/revise well. This coming week I'm gonna try and go to bed earlier, and get back on my sleep medication.

On a different note, I'm going to the Leicester open day tomorrow, so hopefully it will be useful. I've finished my personal statement and most of my application on UCAS and I can't wait to send it off, it's gonna be terrifying and exciting all at once!

Hope you're doing well
Lilly x

It’s okay to not have a productive week. Sometimes it’s needed in order to have a very productive week.
Also, I hope you have a good time an Leicester tomorrow/today, and good luck on your application!
Reply 14
Thanks! I've gone back on my meds today so hopefully I'll be sleeping better and feeling more productive soon. Leicester was really good and it made me change slightly the course I'm going to apply for. It has everything I'm looking for tbh, and it's a nice campus that isn't too big or busy.

It’s okay to not have a productive week. Sometimes it’s needed in order to have a very productive week.
Also, I hope you have a good time an Leicester tomorrow/today, and good luck on your application!
Reply 15
Update time!

I know it's been a while, but I have some exciting news! Yesterday I sent off my university application!!! I'm so so sooooo happy to finally get that off my shoulders. It's one less thing to stress about and I'm very happy with my personal statement and references etc.
I (finally) got the results back for a maths assessment that I did at the start of the year and I was top of the class! I was very pleased indeed. I also got the results back for a sociology assessment that I didn't do too well on. But the good news is that the only reason that happened is because I had a brain fart on the day and accidentally said that labelling theory was Marxist when it's actually interactionalist. However, my teacher said that my essay structure has significantly improved. So the only thing I need to do for that is not be a numpty on the day.
I haven't had the chance to stay behind at school to do extra work because I was quite busy, but now that I don't need to be home as early anymore I think I'll start staying behind at school again.
My friends and I have also made our own discord server where we can listen to music and study together, which I've found really helpful at making sure that I'm actually working because other people can hear what I'm doing. Even when no one else is on the voice channel I still find it useful

Hope you're all having a good week!
Lilly
(edited 1 year ago)
Update time!

I know it's been a while, but I have some exciting news! Yesterday I sent off my university application!!! I'm so so sooooo happy to finally get that off my shoulders. It's one less thing to stress about and I'm very happy with my personal statement and references etc.
I (finally) got the results back for a maths assessment that I did at the start of the year and I was top of the class! I was very pleased indeed. I also got the results back for a sociology assessment that I didn't do too well on. But the good news is that the only reason that happened is because I had a brain fart on the day and accidentally said that labelling theory was Marxist when it's actually interactionalist. However, my teacher said that my essay structure has significantly improved. So the only thing I need to do for that is not be a numpty on the day.
I haven't had the chance to stay behind at school to do extra work because I was quite busy, but now that I don't need to be home as early anymore I think I'll start staying behind at school again.
My friends and I have also made our own discord server where we can listen to music and study together, which I've found really helpful at making sure that I'm actually working because other people can hear what I'm doing. Even when no one else is on the voice channel I still find it useful

Hope you're all having a good week!
Lilly

Congrats!! I hope you make it in your first choice
Reply 17
Congrats!! I hope you make it in your first choice

Thank you so much!
Reply 18
Update time!

I know it's been a while, life has been pretty busy recently.
I've really been noticing the increased workload this year, so far it's manageable though. Good news is that so far I have 3 university offers! I'm still waiting on my top 2 choices to respond, but at least I know I'm definitely going to university, which is very exciting imo
I've been managing my time better I feel, but there's still a long way to go.

Hope you're all doing well :smile:

Lilly x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending