Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I got myself a job a few months back in a high-street chain, but now I fear that they are just taking the mick out of me for being a) a student b) a newbie.

Part of the T&Cs of employment (which are technically part of the contract) say that all extra hours beyond those contracted will be discussed and with reasonable notice. However, this isnt the case, I usually work 8 hours p/w despite being contracted a meagre 4, i'm fine by this. But a notice went up the other day announcing a change in hours, going up to a usual of 13, and one week they wanted 17 hours out of me!! This, while still doing 4 A2s.
    Also, I was told at interview that stock taking/promo changes would be pulled out of a hat of available volunteers, ever so slight confidence that all four newbies, and two other students were picked.

Anybody else finding themself in this sort of position over xmas?
    I'd quite like to keep my job, without doing these extra hours; any advice on what to do regarding stubborn management?

ReputationRep:
    rubbish yuor their to do a job if they dont like it they know where to go... end off really

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that you can't work those hours given your school timetable/coursework etc. If you contract is ONLY four hours, then you do not legally HAVE to work any extra hours.

Could you not just come to a compromise with them? Perhaps just tell them you can work abc but not on xyz.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you cant work extra becuase of school timetable and stick to your contract. Say you can work during your xmas holidays that should work!!

ReputationRep:
    Ta for the advice. I went in today and said that I couldnt do these extra hours, im already struggling at school (im not, but they dont need to know that) blah blah blah... and then the manager decided to cut my hours down to 4. She was being really nice (for once), but she was like, if you cant do anymore then i'm gonna have to cut you back to your contracted 4.
    Does this just sound like she's punishing me for not doing extra, i'm gonna miss that money rather a lot -

It may seem like she is being a right cow, but then again, you said to her you were struggling, and if I was your boss, Education = Everything. I too would want you to spend as much time possible on your work - as you are struggling.

Or, you could be right, she is punishing you - you said you couldn't do her additional hours - but you could do the ones you chose. So she could be like fine, you can't have either.

ReputationRep:
    She probably said it hoping you were bluffing.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem last yeat when I had a Christmas Job at Debenhams where I was contracted to do 12 hours, which increased to around 16 during term time, and around 22 in non-term time which was a bit of a joke, luckily I was only doing AS's at the time with no Jan exams.Glad you've got it kind of sorted out, you could suggest a bit of ovetime in non-term time eg.boxing day or something if you miss the money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louboutin*)
    I had this problem last yeat when I had a Christmas Job at Debenhams where I was contracted to do 12 hours, which increased to around 16 during term time, and around 22 in non-term time which was a bit of a joke, luckily I was only doing AS's at the time with no Jan exams.Glad you've got it kind of sorted out, you could suggest a bit of ovetime in non-term time eg.boxing day or something if you miss the money?
    Yeah, unforutunately I am in fact working New Year's Day :shifty: thats a bit of money, although its no more than the usual rate :rolleyes:
    May try n put it about that if anyone fances a day off here or there; i'll take it - i think to an extent its largely allowed for people to take a day off if somebody covers (just not on a regular basis)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.