The Student Room Group

Second degree funding with previous study

Hi there,

I have studied at university previously. I did 1 year of single honours Applied Theatre and then transferred at the end of that year to single honours English literature for 2 years. I left in second year and only achieved a CertHE which is not in a named subject.

My questions are:
1. Do I have any funding left after using 3 years SFE tuition and maintenance loans already? I would ideally like to do a top up to a HND in Photography full time. (I'm studying a BTEC in it right now.) The course I'd like to study is: Photography HND (Top Up) at Walsall College UCAS code: 046W

2. If not, would I be eligible for part-time funding under the part-time exception course rules? I would like to study this course: Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing BA (hons) at Newman University. The UCAS code is B943

Thanks for the help in advance!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

@StudentFinance
Anyone? I have a list of other courses I'd like to know about too.
Original post by Aciddabking95
Hi there,

I have studied at university previously. I did 1 year of single honours Applied Theatre and then transferred at the end of that year to single honours English literature for 2 years. I left in second year and only achieved a CertHE which is not in a named subject.

My questions are:
1. Do I have any funding left after using 3 years SFE tuition and maintenance loans already? I would ideally like to do a top up to a HND in Photography full time. (I'm studying a BTEC in it right now.) The course I'd like to study is: Photography HND (Top Up) at Walsall College UCAS code: 046W

2. If not, would I be eligible for part-time funding under the part-time exception course rules? I would like to study this course: Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing BA (hons) at Newman University. The UCAS code is B943

Thanks for the help in advance!

Hi there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:

- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: http://ow.ly/XUdW30pchhz

You would need to submit your application for the course you wish to attend for the team to review your entitled for funding. Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:

- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: http://ow.ly/XUdW30pchhz

You would need to submit your application for the course you wish to attend for the team to review your entitled for funding. Thanks, Karen

Hi,

I understand the way that funding is worked out, but for me to know if it's even worth me applying for the course or appropriate funding, I'd need to know if it was eligible to begin with as I have no other way to pay for tuition fees except SFE.

CPR is something I'm considering for the HND because I left my previous course due to mental health issues. (Your link doesn't work for me)

I'd like to know if the course I listed in point two is classed as a part-time exceptions course: Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing BA (hons) at Newman University. The UCAS code is B943
This would be a part-time course over 4.5 years.

Also, I've read on here from other SFE reps that "Top Up" courses are classed as 3 years when calculating funding. Is that correct?
Would Photography HND (Top Up) at Walsall College UCAS code: 046W be classed as such?

Thanks
Yasmin
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

I understand the way that funding is worked out, but for me to know if it's even worth me applying for the course or appropriate funding, I'd need to know if it was eligible to begin with as I have no other way to pay for tuition fees except SFE.

CPR is something I'm considering for the HND because I left my previous course due to mental health issues. (Your link doesn't work for me)

I'd like to know if the course I listed in point two is classed as a part-time exceptions course: Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing BA (hons) at Newman University. The UCAS code is B943
This would be a part-time course over 4.5 years.

Also, I've read on here from other SFE reps that "Top Up" courses are classed as 3 years when calculating funding. Is that correct?
Would Photography HND (Top Up) at Walsall College UCAS code: 046W be classed as such?

Thanks
Yasmin

@Student Finance England @SFE Isaac
Can someone please help me on this?
@Student Finance England @SFE Isaac
Can someone please help me on this?

Hi there,

Can you please confirm how many years of previous study you have in total? It sounds like 3 years, is that right?

About the top-up course, how long is that?

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Can you please confirm how many years of previous study you have in total? It sounds like 3 years, is that right?

About the top-up course, how long is that?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi,

Yes, 3 years previous study. I gained a CertHe.

And the Photography HND top up is 1 year.

Thanks,
Yasmin
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

Yes, 3 years previous study. I gained a CertHe.

And the Photography HND top up is 1 year.

Thanks,
Yasmin

@Graeme SFE @Student Finance England
Hi again,

It's been two weeks since I originally posted this question and I'm still no better off. I understand that I need to be patient, but I'm a bit frustrated that nobody has actually answered any of the questions I originally asked.

I just want to know if the Counselling course I listed is a part-time exception/exemption course or not before I apply. It's kind of important as I don't want to waste a uni choice if I just can't do the course.

Can someone please help with this?

Thanks
@Graeme SFE @Student Finance England
Hi again,

It's been two weeks since I originally posted this question and I'm still no better off. I understand that I need to be patient, but I'm a bit frustrated that nobody has actually answered any of the questions I originally asked.

I just want to know if the Counselling course I listed is a part-time exception/exemption course or not before I apply. It's kind of important as I don't want to waste a uni choice if I just can't do the course.

Can someone please help with this?

Thanks

Hi there, When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Hi there, When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen

Hi,

The Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing BA (Hons) course is meant to start September 2023.

Thanks
Yasmin
Hi,

The Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing BA (Hons) course is meant to start September 2023.

Thanks
Yasmin

Hi there, Our applications and guidelines for 23/24 academic year haven't launched yet. They generally tend to launch March 2023. I would advise once the applications launch to submit this for review as soon as possible. Once it has been processed the team will confirm if you are eligible for funding or not. Thanks, Karen
Hi there, Our applications and guidelines for 23/24 academic year haven't launched yet. They generally tend to launch March 2023. I would advise once the applications launch to submit this for review as soon as possible. Once it has been processed the team will confirm if you are eligible for funding or not. Thanks, Karen

Hi

I know they don't launch till later in the year, but is it possible to check if it was a part time exception for 22/23 so I have an idea of it will qualify please?

Again, I don't want to go through applying etc and waste uni choices if it wasn't eligible in previous years.

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi

I know they don't launch till later in the year, but is it possible to check if it was a part time exception for 22/23 so I have an idea of it will qualify please?

Again, I don't want to go through applying etc and waste uni choices if it wasn't eligible in previous years.

Thanks

Hi there,

Thank you for confirming. That course is not an exception to previous study rules unfortunately, therefore you would not be entitled to funding as a second degree.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

Thank you for confirming. That course is not an exception to previous study rules unfortunately, therefore you would not be entitled to funding as a second degree.

Thanks, Clare

Hi,

I'm right in thinking that Psychology is an exception course for Part-time study?

Could you check if any of the following courses are exceptions from academic year 22/23 please:

Birmingham City University:
Psychology BSc (Hons)
Psychology with Criminology BSc (Hons)

University of Wolverhampton:
Psychology BSc (Hons): UCAS CODE: C800
Psychology and Counselling BSc (Hons): UCAS CODE: C813
Psychology (Criminal Behaviour) BSc (Hons): UCAS CODE: C816
Computer Science (Games Development) BSc (Hons): UCAS CODE: G451
Computer Science (Software Engineering) BSc (Hons): UCAS CODE: G600
Artificial Intelligence BSc (Hons): UCAS CODE: GH76

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

I'm right in thinking that Psychology is an exception course for Part-time study?

Could you check if any of the following courses are exceptions from academic year 22/23 please:

Psychology BSc (Hons)

Thanks

@Student Finance England @SFE Clare @Graeme SFE
Hi,

Psychology BSc (Hons)

Thanks

You can always ask universities about their courses directly. They know the criteria for part time exemptions and the codes linked to their courses.

As you don’t have a degree the exemptions criteria aren’t really relevant.
(edited 1 year ago)
Also the rules around previous study for part time study are much more generous than for full time. As long as the course is higher than the qualifications you currently hold you can usually get part time funding for up to 13 years in total (if I remember rightly - it might be 15 years).

Hi there,

The above reply is correct. Exceptions rules apply only where a previous qualification is gained. As we are unable to check specific eligibility criteria here and provide general information only, it may be beneficial for you to contact our team directly by phone or Live Chat so that an adviser can check your account and confirm your options for both further full time or part time study.

Thanks, Tina.
Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
Hi there,

The above reply is correct. Exceptions rules apply only where a previous qualification is gained. As we are unable to check specific eligibility criteria here and provide general information only, it may be beneficial for you to contact our team directly by phone or Live Chat so that an adviser can check your account and confirm your options for both further full time or part time study.

Thanks, Tina.

As I explained further back, I have a CertHE and previous study of 3 years full time. As I understand it, I can't do full time study, only part time exception courses because of this. I will try live chat but I'm quite sceptical as I've seen many people on here given multiple conflicting answers by advisors at SFE.
Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
Hi there,

Thanks, Tina.

How do I access the live chat? @Tina Oliver SLC

Quick Reply

Latest