Interview dress code:no trainers? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Brainstorm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
hi guys,
do you think that I should avoid wearing trainers in the interview for a Media course?
(actually all my shoes are trainers...)
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dress smartly, but not stiffly. A Modern suit would probably be a good investment, especially if you want to work in the media.
Brainstorm
Rep:
?
thanks!
what about jeans??
will they be appropriate?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No! Nooooo Jeans.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The problem is, people view these things differently. To me turning up smartly dressed to an interview shows respect and that you are serious about the thing you are being interviewed for. Other people may see it as pompous though I suppose...
Brainstorm
Rep:
?
*sob*
just realise what a loser I am...
dont have any non-trainer shoes,no suits,all my trousers are jeans...
and have never known how to put on make-up in my life!!!

help!!I need help!! Extreme make-over needed!!!
Kerry41
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think jeans r fine....but no trainers.

Media is kinda modern course, they wont mind that much i think.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I always dress formaly for interviews because it shows you have made an effort, if you turn up in in jeans t-shirts and trainers you may as well just stick two fingers up at them.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It depends what kind of interview you have. If it's a formal one, dress smart. If it's an informal one, dress casual.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Brainstorm)
*sob*
just realise what a loser I am...
dont have any non-trainer shoes,no suits,all my trousers are jeans...
and have never known how to put on make-up in my life!!!

help!!I need help!! Extreme make-over needed!!!
Rule 1:

Always have a suit.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you might as well invest in some shoes because you're going to need them at some point! surely sometimes when you go out you can't go into some places in traniers so need shoes then anyway?
viviki
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you a girl or a boy. If you are a girl you could get away (if its an informal interview) with a nice skirt (not denim but more casual than a suit skirt) with a smart black or grey jacket. A nice jacket is a staple for anyones wardrobe. And a smart jumper style top or one of those ones with the little buttons that go half way down rather than the traditional skirt. Depends what uni you are going to if its traditional then I'd wear a suit.

you could get some really nice girlie shoes (then you could wear them for going out) rather than traditional ones. office sell some gorgeous girlie shoes.
anchemis
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well... if you feel comfortable in a suit... wear one...
if you're not... then wear dark trousers... and shirt probably with tie...
you can ommit the tie in less formal occasions...
Jeans and trainers are a big no go
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had a post application open day at Leeds Uni, they'd already given me an offer and the point was to look at the chemistry department more than just the regular open day - even though it didn't even matter and I was only going to have a short chat with a member of staff I still went wearing a pair of casual black trousers (they were quite wide legged) and a smart ish V-neck jumper and some comfortable flat black shoes. Its not much, but still looked smart.
happydinosaur
Report 14 years ago
I would try and avoid jeans and dress quite smart but still casual enough to feel comfortable. I even managed to dress smart for my Lancaster interview day which had a practical session..I wore some black trousers with pinstripes, a nice spotty Vneck tshirt and a black jacket with some flat spotty black shoes...so I still looked smart but could take the jacket off and do some practical drama. I was suprised that I didn't feel over dressed actually..
InterCity125
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Surely you want too look professional?
Suit would be best.
Brainstorm
Rep:
?
thank you guys!!
now i have some idea of the dress code now...
in fact I have a pair of more lady-like shoes that I never wear (i'm a girl)...please give me some more dress code ideas if i wanna wear them (eventually)...

here's a pic of them...
Attached files
Kuddly!
Report 14 years ago
my mate turned up in joggers n trainers for his imperial and ucl interview,

so they asked him hard questions thinking he was dumb....

he answered them and then recieved offers from both places!
they dnt really care about appearance.
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had a friend who went into one of her Oxford interviews in a pair of jeans and a casual jumper, as she'd just arrived, having been on a train all day, and they asked her whether she could go in sooner than she was allocated. She got an offer, so I don't think it matters too much if they like you.

Having said that, at a talk we had at school from one of the London colleges (can't remember which) they made a point about how first impressions last, so wearing casual jeans/trainers probably isn't ideal, if you've got other things.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Brainstorm)
here's a pic of them...
They're beautiful

I think smart casual is always the way to go.

What about a skirt, shirt and fitted jumper? It's smart, but also pretty fashionable right now...

There will always be people looking smarter than you, and others looking more casual.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads