Interview dress code:no trainers? Watch

This discussion is closed.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm fairly bored.

The skirt is from Miss Selfridge and is £30.
Then you could wear a white shirt, with a black or tan/brown fitted jumper.

Though I guess black or tan shoes would be better with that.

If you want to go for white shoes, I'd remover the ribbon from that skirt (course, you can get a skirt without a ribbon in the first place ) and then go for a lowish cut white top to go with a skirt like that. I'd stick with tan though, it's a great colour

Go to TKMaxx or a good charity shop if you can. Great for bargains if you're prepared to rummage...

(Never thought I'd make a post like that in the General University Discussion forum)
Attached files
Brainstorm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thank you so much Hayley... !
I find it very difficult to match clothes with the white shoes,
do u think I should put on some make-up then?
I never do it before...
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Depends. If you'll feel uncomfortable with it, or you feel it's just not you, then don't.

If you want to give it a go, keep it fresh and natural. Liquid concealer used sparingly to get rid of any breakouts and any circles under the eyes, and then a little dusting translucent powder to set it. I'd use a very neutral eyeshadow, not far off the skirt colour actually, then some black or brown mascara. Just use a lipbalm/lipsyl on the lips. Practise a few times before you go, to decide if it feels right. Also you can make sure you get it right before the day. If, as you don't usually wear it, you don't actually own any make up and don't want to splash out, then Boots' Natural Collection might be an idea. Nothing's over £2.50. But make sure the concealer shade's right. If they don't have your shade, it's worth going for a different brand. EDIT: Also, only go for the concealer/powder if it's needed. If you're lucky enough to have few spots, even skin tone and bright eyes, then there's no need. I just need to use the stuff and make assumptions that others do too

Undertstated is the key.

Oh, and don't forget the flesh coloured tights if you wear a skirt
Hah, I feel like I'm changing you for some reason :/
Sophdoph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you can't wear it in a nightclub (jeans, trainers) don't wear it in an interview. If you couldn't face your granny in it (low cut top, top from FCUK), don't wear it in an interview.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sophdoph)
If you can't wear it in a nightclub (jeans, trainers) don't wear it in an interview. If you couldn't face your granny in it (low cut top, top from FCUK), don't wear it in an interview.
That's a pretty comprehensive guide actually.

Haha.
Brainstorm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
Depends. If you'll feel uncomfortable with it, or you feel it's just not you, then don't.

If you want to give it a go, keep it fresh and natural. Liquid concealer used sparingly to get rid of any breakouts and any circles under the eyes, and then a little dusting translucent powder to set it. I'd use a very neutral eyeshadow, not far off the skirt colour actually, then some black or brown mascara. Just use a lipbalm/lipsyl on the lips. Practise a few times before you go, to decide if it feels right. Also you can make sure you get it right before the day. If, as you don't usually wear it, you don't actually own any make up and don't want to splash out, then Boots' Natural Collection might be an idea. Nothing's over £2.50. But make sure the concealer shade's right. If they don't have your shade, it's worth going for a different brand. EDIT: Also, only go for the concealer/powder if it's needed. If you're lucky enough to have few spots, even skin tone and bright eyes, then there's no need. I just need to use the stuff and make assumptions that others do too

Undertstated is the key.

Oh, and don't forget the flesh coloured tights if you wear a skirt
Hah, I feel like I'm changing you for some reason :/
wow...sounds so complicated!!
what are the typical "must have" makeup products for a girl then?
and how much do they normally cost?

seriously off topic now...
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
People are being silly, if it's an informal interview just go in whatever you go to sixth form in, most others do, the ones wearing suits look out of place. I only dressed up a little for Oxford, everything else got me just wearing normal clothes. They really don't give a damn, you think that a Uni Professor hasn't got better things to do than look whether or not you're wearing a demin skirt or black skirt?!

If you go in a suit you will be over-dressed.

NB: I am not saying this because I don't own a suit or shoes, I own a good few suits and a few nice pairs of shoes, I am not scruffy either.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Brainstorm)
wow...sounds so complicated!!
what are the typical "must have" makeup products for a girl then?
and how much do they normally cost?

seriously off topic now...
If you aren't a make-up person, its really not important! I think its more important to dress with the right attitude, plus if its raining and you have to go on a tour of campus or something, you could end up with awful smudging/running make-up which is so not a good look!
DenverDiva
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As others have noted Smart Casual is generally the way to go for a uni interview.

PLEASE note that this should not include showing off your midriff - it rarely looks pretty and, given the British climate, does lead to legitimate concerns about one's intelligence!
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pghstochaj)
People are being silly, if it's an informal interview just go in whatever you go to sixth form in, most others do, the ones wearing suits look out of place.

I spent half my time in 6th form in jeans, manky trainers, and t shirts.

I would never, even if it was an informal interview, go dressed like that. Regardless of formality it's desperately important in my view to make a good impression, and attire is one of the main judging factors especially with female interviewers! Suits maybe a little over the top but it's a better option than the scruffy look. It's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not if, like the mass majority of people our age, you don't spend most of your time in smart - it could affect your confidence.

In my times of interviews I saw 1, yes 1, wearing a suit, not even at Ox did I see anybody in a suit, the poor guy at L'boro looked very nervous, possibly because of the way he was dressed compared to others.

I will try to say this better ok
As a general rule, most interviewers IME do not give a damn what you wear aslong as it isn't offensive or specifically as if you have gone out of your way to look scruffy. THey know from your PS, UCAS form and fact you are there talking to them that you are bothered and for the most part, have better things to be thinking about that your dress sense.

....then again, maybe this is because I do engineering!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
People are being silly, if it's an informal interview just go in whatever you go to sixth form in, most others do,
That would have been a suit in my case...
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Fair enough then, although remember the majority of sixth forms don't have a dress code requiring suits....

Seriously, you will find it nigh impossible to find somebody who has faced descrimination regarding what they wore (within reason) to a uni interview or somebody who admits to discriminating in this way. It's a uni interview, you're not going for a exec interview at KPMG!

It's like turning up at tesco to stock the shelves and wearing a suit for the interview, sure you wouldn't face discrimination but might look totally out of place.
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dress smart

Wear nice shoes not trainners

I wore a suite to all my interviews and one kid who wore jeanes a bag around his neck diagonally did not get an offer. Doubt it was for that reason, but everyone at my interviews dressed smart casual or wore suites.

A modern suite would be best for a media course imo
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well as I say, I didn't exactly go for bad unis; Manchester(UMIST)/Oxford/Nottingham/Loughborough and only 1 person out of the whole lot wore a suit.....
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wearing a suit does you no harm, and it might give you an advantage. Why not wear one i say.
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I was at my Oxford interview 90% of people were wearing a suit/as smart as a suit. I wore a suit..or at least suit trousers without my jacket on as I was braving the cold..

More and more 6th forms have a dress code because they want to encourage the students to get used to interview wear/clothes for work.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you should go with what Hayley's been saying. For all my interviews I wore black trousers, fitted shirt and black smart shoes. It's good to go smart but not too over the top otherwise you might feel uncomfortable ... same as if you go in jeans and trainers and everyone else is smart ... if you go in the middle you can't really lose
happydinosaur
Report 14 years ago
People are being silly, if it's an informal interview just go in whatever you go to sixth form in
That is what I did for my interviews and I looked smart and still felt very comfortable because I am used to looking like I work in some sort of office enviroment because that is supposedly my sixth form dress code. I did feel a little out of place when a friend from another school turned up at the same interview slot in her normal baggy jeans and a jumper outfit..
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
Wearing a suit does you no harm, and it might give you an advantage. Why not wear one i say.
Wear a suit if you're comfortable in it - but if not don't be preassured into it. Many people (including me) have never worn a suit when they go for their interviews, and it could seriously damage your confidence if you feel overdressed or out of place.

I would say do make an effort, but there's no need to get too dressed up.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads