The Student Room Group

Spanish Writing

Can someone who is good/fluent in spanish proofread this for me? I think the grammar is correct but if anyone could give some constructive criticism, I would be very grateful.

La semana pasada fui al cine con mis amigos. Fue muy divertido, pero la película fue aburrida. Después, fuimos de compras por dos horas. Compré un bonito vestido rojo! Ayer, fui a un restaurante con mi familia. Era muy caro, ¡sin embargo la comida era muy sabrosa!

Prefiero pasar tiempo con mis amigos, no con mi familia. Cuando paso tiempo con mi familia normalmente hay discusiones. Cuando salgo con mis amigos es muy divertido y amistoso. Una vez a la semana, voy al parque con mis amigos, es muy relajante.

No quiero un novio o una novia, sin embargo mi pareja perfecta sería similar a mí. Deberíamos llevarnos bien para no discutir. Me gustaría que fueran más altos que yo y preferiblemente tener el pelo rubio. Les debe gustar escuchar música y leer libros porque hago mucho.
i only take a level spanish so im not perfect
but that looks rlly good i didnt notice any errors at all
well done
Original post by molak20
i only take a level spanish so im not perfect
but that looks rlly good i didnt notice any errors at all
well done

Thank you! I was really worried and used my textbook but I'm glad to know the endings are all okay! I'm not too great at Spanish Grammar~ TwT
Original post by Xeri_Monarch
Thank you! I was really worried and used my textbook but I'm glad to know the endings are all okay! I'm not too great at Spanish Grammar~ TwT

There are some mistakes in your work, I will correct them shortly.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
There are some mistake in your work, I will correct them shortly.

Thank you! I really appreciate it!
Can someone who is good/fluent in spanish proofread this for me? I think the grammar is correct but if anyone could give some constructive criticism, I would be very grateful.

La semana pasada fui al cine con mis amigos. Fue muy divertido, pero la película fue nos resultó aburrida. Después, fuimos de pasamos dos horas de compras por dos horas y ¡me compré un bonito vestido rojo! Ayer, fui a un restaurante con mi familia. Era Fue muy caro, ¡sin embargo la comida era estaba muy sabrosa!

Prefiero pasar tiempo con mis amigos, no en vez de con mi la familia. Cuando paso tiempo con mi en familia normalmente hay discusiones solemos discutir. En cambio, cuando salgo salir con mis amigos es muy divertido y amistoso emocionante. Una vez a la semana, voy al parque con mis amigos, es algo que encuentro muy relajante.

No quiero un novio o una ni novia, sin embargo mi pareja perfecta sería similar a se me parecería. Deberíamos llevarnos bien para no discutir. Me gustaría que fuera más alto que yo y que preferiblemente tener tuviera el pelo rubio. Le debe gustar escuchar música y leer libros porque hago mucho.

Corrections in red and a line through what should be deleted. A lot of what I've crossed out or replaced isn't wrong per se, it just made your writing quite clunky and unnatural sounding. For instance, in the first paragraph you employ the use of fue or fui (which although grammatically correct) so much that it sounds jarring, whereas I replaced some of these with other ways of saying the same thing.

In the second paragraph you described going out with your friends as amistoso. The latter is an adjective that's used to describe people or a situation, you can't use it to describe a verb or the act of going out, just as in English it sounds odd to say "going out with my friends is friendly".

You may be familiar with the fact that in Spanish when referring to professions you don't use the article which you do in English. In the latter you say "I want to be a doctor" whereas in Spanish you say "quiero ser doctor". The same applies to boyfriend or girlfriend in this scenario: the un and una shouldn't be there and I've deleted them. In addition, you start to employ the grammatical endings for plural pronouns, e.g. fueran, altos, les which isn't correct because you're describing the ideal person, and a person is singular so the singular endings must thus be used. Maybe you were thinking in English where a person can be described as they and so you were automatically applying the they endings in Spanish, but it doesn't work this way. In Spanish a singular person can never be described as they.
(edited 1 year ago)

no problem, and neitherr tbh im working on my writing aswell
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Corrections in red and a line through what should be deleted. A lot of what I've crossed out or replaced isn't wrong per se, it just made your writing quite clunky and unnatural sounding. For instance, in the first paragraph you employ the use of fue or fui (which although grammatically correct) so much that it sounds jarring, whereas I replaced some of these with other ways of saying the same thing.

In the second paragraph you described going out with your friends as amistoso. The latter is an adjective that's used to describe people or a situation, you can't use it to describe a verb or the act of going out, just as in English it sounds odd to say "going out with my friends is friendly".

You may be familiar with the fact that in Spanish when referring to professions you don't use the article which you do in English. In the latter you say "I want to be a doctor" whereas in Spanish you say "quiero ser doctor". The same applies to boyfriend or girlfriend in this scenario: the un and una shouldn't be there and I've deleted them. In addition, you start to employ the grammatical endings for plural pronouns, e.g. fueran, altos, les which isn't correct because you're describing the ideal person, and a person is singular so the singular endings must thus be used. Maybe you were thinking in English where a person can be described as they and so you were automatically applying the they endings in Spanish, but it doesn't work this way. In Spanish a singular person can never be described as they.

Thank you so much! The corrections and explanations were really hopeful and I'll try my best to make sure I remember them. Again, thank you so much! I still have a long way to go in terms of Spanish (Im in my first year of GCSE's) and this was really helpful!!!
Original post by molak20
no problem, and neitherr tbh im working on my writing aswell

Hey, I know you said you take A-Level Spanish and I was just wondering if:
1) you took GCSE Spanish (which you probably did if you're doing A-Level) and
2) If you did take it - how you found it and if you have any tips for studying and learning Spanish?
Thank you so much! The corrections and explanations were really hopeful and I'll try my best to make sure I remember them. Again, thank you so much! I still have a long way to go in terms of Spanish (Im in my first year of GCSE's) and this was really helpful!!!

No worries, happy to help!
Hey, I know you said you take A-Level Spanish and I was just wondering if:
1) you took GCSE Spanish (which you probably did if you're doing A-Level) and
2) If you did take it - how you found it and if you have any tips for studying and learning Spanish?

hey, 1 - yeahh i did, got a 9 in gcse but rn im struggling bc i forgot all my spanish over the holidays 😅 (in y13 btw)
2 - the main things that really helped me was:

definetely going over vocab in my free time, both commonly used words and the ones you wouldnt typically use
in my free time looking over how different tenses are formed, in time itll become second nature
might sound kinda silly but sometimes id try think in spanish, like just in general everyday life or when im doing an activity etc.
i personally never did but apparently watching shows and listening to music is like a cheat code for becoming more fluent

thats all i can really think of, but from the looks of it youll do great
good luck!
Thank you so much!! Also I wish you the best, I forgot nearly all my Spanish too~~
Original post by molak20
hey, 1 - yeahh i did, got a 9 in gcse but rn im struggling bc i forgot all my spanish over the holidays 😅 (in y13 btw)
2 - the main things that really helped me was:

definetely going over vocab in my free time, both commonly used words and the ones you wouldnt typically use
in my free time looking over how different tenses are formed, in time itll become second nature
might sound kinda silly but sometimes id try think in spanish, like just in general everyday life or when im doing an activity etc.
i personally never did but apparently watching shows and listening to music is like a cheat code for becoming more fluent

thats all i can really think of, but from the looks of it youll do great
good luck!
Thank you so much!! Also I wish you the best, I forgot nearly all my Spanish too~~

hahaha, common struggle
and npp, let me know how u get on :smile:
and DM me if u ever need help w anything, including general gcse stuff if u need
Original post by molak20
hahaha, common struggle
and npp, let me know how u get on :smile:
and DM me if u ever need help w anything, including general gcse stuff if u need

Tysm! I definitely will!

Quick Reply

Latest