The Student Room Group

Medical Research with MBChB

Hi all,

I'm in Year 4/6, and have just completed my intercalated degree in Pharmacology (2:1, Hons).

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time during this research degree, possibly more than my medical school experience as a whole, and hope to one day pursue a full-time research career.

I wondered if anyone here has any advice, having done it themselves, or knowing people who have, for entering into medical research after leaving medical school with their degree?

Thank you

PS Studying and live in Scotland if that makes a difference
Hi there,

I did a degree in medicine, but after a serious [near fatal] personal tragedy, branched into the pharma industry - I also did a [interestingly - small world I suppose!] pharmacology BSc in my 3rd year as a medical student, so had some knowledge of drugs, and clinical trials - I did a Masters thereafter then started as a medical rep and worked my way up gradually until I landed a post as Medical Adviser for a small pharma co.

The [usually old stroppy women] "personnel officers" who recruit for pharma companies are often ignorant about the nature of training in medicine [they so not appear to appreciate the sheer stringent medical training and the fact that as a medical student, you basically do almost everything that a qualified young doctor does; partly cos of this problem but probs also cos of the further experience required as e.g. a clinical research physician, pharma companies give preference to doctors who have at least reached Registrar level in hospital or have some experience as a GP.

In view of the above, my advice to you would be to work for a couple of years in hospital medicine then join the pharma industry wherein you can get direct entry as a clinical research physician, and you don't have to slog your way [like I had to] through relatively "menial" jobs b4 getting anywhere with a higher level of job satisfaction, position and status.

In UK it is clear that experience counts for more than education [I in fact came across a "medical adviser" who was only a pharmacist but had worked in pharmacy for some years - this is not to belittle pharmacists but just to reiterate that first-hand training in medicine/surgery in pharmacy with live patients is minimal, tho oc they are v knowledgeable about drugs [including medicinal chemistry and pharmaceutics].

I do not have any personal experience of any other venues where you can perform clinical research apart from writing clinical research papers while going through the medical "ladder" within hospital medicine [or surgery], tho this is less scientific than pure science and from your post it seems like you prefer the scientific route.

I hope this gives you some basic insight into your proposed journey, and I am happy to engage in further dialogue if you so desire.

Be safe!

M [medical editor r n]
Original post by Gomorrah
Hi all,

I'm in Year 4/6, and have just completed my intercalated degree in Pharmacology (2:1, Hons).

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time during this research degree, possibly more than my medical school experience as a whole, and hope to one day pursue a full-time research career.

I wondered if anyone here has any advice, having done it themselves, or knowing people who have, for entering into medical research after leaving medical school with their degree?

Thank you

PS Studying and live in Scotland if that makes a difference
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending