This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Today it's the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz

This year's theme states: "The 60th anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camps presents one of the greatest opportunities to show our respect for the survivors of Nazi persecution and mass murder, and listen to what they can tell us about the worst of human behaviour."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4210841.stm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...rial_day.shtml

The Nazis persecuted many groups of people deemed inferior to the Nazi Aryan ideal. The following estimates refer to groups that were actively singled out in Nazi ideology as being 'unfit for life' and were part of the Nazi's planned and systematic genocide.
  • 5 – 6 million Jews, including 3.0 – 3.5 million Polish Jews
  • 200 000 – 800 000 Roma & Sinti
  • 200 000 – 300 000 people with disabilities
  • 10 000 – 25 000 gay men
  • 2 000 Jehovah's Witnesses
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust

To put these numbers into some sort of context - this is the more than the number of UK residents between the ages of 13 and 21.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We'll never forget.
m66
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
We'll never forget.
yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still cant get my head around the numbers killed, and those sick people called the nazis
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I recommend 'The Painoist' - a film that gives you a good idea of the kind of things that went on.

I was going to say that hopefully we would learn from these awful events in the past but sadly genocide continues around the world.
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Unfortunately the nazis were not uniquely vile. In the last century alone Stalin and Mao were responsible for more deaths [over longer periods and from larger populations] and Pol Pot murdered a higher proportion of the people he ruled.
These figures are an underestimate of hitler's victims, however, as they omit the Soviet POWs starved to death and the people murdered for political reasons.
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
These figures are an underestimate of hitler's victims, however, as they omit the Soviet POWs starved to death and the people murdered for political reasons.
And all the allies who died in WW2.

EDIT: It's really a bit sad this thread has fewer views than one about profiteroles! A little ironic given it's message.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
has anyone seen the holocust memorial in boston?... it's absalutely stunning and really thought-provoking. you walk along a pathway with 6-10 (i can't remember) glass towers with a bit of steam coming up... and from a distance it looks like the steam goes all the way up cos it's kind of white, but it's actually all the names of people who died in the holocaust

(sorry the pic is pretty poor)

lou xxx
Attached files
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Golden Maverick)

EDIT: It's really a bit sad this thread has fewer views than one about profiteroles! A little ironic given it's message.
I didn't think, personally, that i had anything appropriate to say on this thread, and i think many others are of the same mind.
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
I didn't think, personally, that i had anything appropriate to say on this thread, and i think many others are of the same mind.
No, but look at the views - around 60 in 3hrs, compared to 65 for profiteroles in 1hr.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, but look at the views - around 60 in 3hrs, compared to 65 for profiteroles in 1hr.
But people merely read the title and remember. They probably do not see the need to read the thread... or maybe i'm being to optimistic about people.
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
has anyone seen the holocust memorial in boston?... it's absalutely stunning and really thought-provoking.

lou xxx
I did see it a while ago. Some good pics here.

Fair point Iluvatur, maybe I'm being too cynical
Amystrangeglove
Report 14 years ago
what happened was awful but i feel we have to recognise that genocide happens even NOW and no one does ANYTHING!
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is socially acceptable to kill people who are trying to kill you, either directly or indirectly, no matter how repellent your opinions and other activities. It is not socially acceptable to kill unarmed and helpless people you hold prisoner, no matter how much you dislike them or their opinions or how racially inferior you think them. The allies dead in battle came into the first category, so don't count as truly atrocious. Oddly enough- and this says something about human psychology- it is thought worse to degrade and humiliate people than it is to merely kill them.
Among my examples above I omitted the recent events in Rwanda- both in proportion of dead and speed of slaughter a remarkable phenomenon, especially given the very low-technology methods used.

i think one reason there haven't been many visitors is perhaps that people tend not to notice stickies they way they do other threads. We assume they've been stuck there for ever.
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Weejimmie)
i think one reason there haven't been many visitors is perhaps that people tend not to notice stickies they way they do other threads. We assume they've been stuck there for ever.
True for some people I'm sure, although it was the first thing I noticed when I visited.

Soldiers do fall under "Hitlers victims" however, and do deserve to be remembered even though their death is seen as more socially acceptable.
The civilians who died from bombing (by all parties) should also be remembered, although the moral behind their death seems to be lost on some currently in power.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Casualties in the Two World Wars for Combatant Nations
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is vital to remember all those who have died in the many wars that have been and still are being fought.

However, today marks the liberation of one of the main symbols of Nazi hatred and cruelty - Auschwitz. As such, I think it's worth having a place on this forum (a forum which contains many people who care strongly about such things) for reflection on that.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
May they all rest in eternal peace.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i watched a film today and it was horrible. This boy ran away and a nazi went to shoot him but a man stopped the soldier and the soldier shot him. 2 soldiers brought the boy back then they shot him
enigmatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm visiting Auschwitz in the Febuary half term on a history trip, so it'll be interesting to see how I, and others, react.
Repentance
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it is always sad to remember the death of so many innocent....the holocaust will not be the last distaster caused by mankind i fear....evil always has a way of getting people on its side.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads