The Student Room Group

I’m really sick of every single food having reduced calories, want to gain

I’m underweight and I’m really happy that I’ve been able to put on 9lbs in the last couple of months, I’m still underweight but I’m getting there. However, it seems every single food these days is ‘low fat, low calorie, reduced this, reduced that’. Well it’s a nightmare for people who actually want or need to put on.

Like a frozen pizza is 750 calories, I’m sure a few years ago used to be more. The creamiest yoghurts I can find aren’t are only 160 calories. Crisps have less calories now. Mayo in most shops is 30% less of what it was. It doesn’t matter what food it is, it’s got lower and lower.

Apart from eating even more, is there anything else I can do to put on weight?
Reply 1
Bulk weight gain powder is a safe way to put on weight but can be expensive. Pasta in sauce is a cheap way. You just need to consume more calories than you burn. Eat plenty of protein like chicken and fish. Try to avoid calories for the sake of them as calories from sugar are not helpful. If you just keep snacking on healthy carbohydrates and protein you will put on weight.
Go get thick cut white bread, cheese & full fat mayo and eat that with 180g bag of Doritos and dip. Suddenly you have about 1000 calories right their!
Original post by Anonymous
I’m underweight and I’m really happy that I’ve been able to put on 9lbs in the last couple of months, I’m still underweight but I’m getting there. However, it seems every single food these days is ‘low fat, low calorie, reduced this, reduced that’. Well it’s a nightmare for people who actually want or need to put on.

Like a frozen pizza is 750 calories, I’m sure a few years ago used to be more. The creamiest yoghurts I can find aren’t are only 160 calories. Crisps have less calories now. Mayo in most shops is 30% less of what it was. It doesn’t matter what food it is, it’s got lower and lower.

This is not a concern that most people in the UK have and it's a good thing that companies are finally taking steps to improve public health.

If you're struggling to eat more then you clearly have more serious issues that need to be addressed (is it a medical condition? lack of physical activity? a mental health issue?). Finding an 50 extra calories in your frozen pizza won't save you.
Original post by Augustino D
This is not a concern that most people in the UK have and it's a good thing that companies are finally taking steps to improve public health.

If you're struggling to eat more then you clearly have more serious issues that need to be addressed (is it a medical condition? lack of physical activity? a mental health issue?). Finding an 50 extra calories in your frozen pizza won't save you.

None of those. I’ve had blood tests to rule out diabetes and hyperthyroidism. I have an active job and I walk to most places. I never miss a meal and have snacks in between. My GP keeps telling me I have a high metabolism.

None of those. I’ve had blood tests to rule out diabetes and hyperthyroidism. I have an active job and I walk to most places. I never miss a meal and have snacks in between. My GP keeps telling me I have a high metabolism.

I have the same issue. I completely understand what you are going through. It is annoying that most of the focus in on helping people reduce their calories without taking into account that there are those who could benefit from the extra calories. As others have suggested, incorporate protein into your diet as much as you can. 🙂
Original post by 5hyl33n
I have the same issue. I completely understand what you are going through. It is annoying that most of the focus in on helping people reduce their calories without taking into account that there are those who could benefit from the extra calories. As others have suggested, incorporate protein into your diet as much as you can. 🙂

Thanks, it’s good to know I’m not alone! I’m trying to eat more protein and I get free good meals when I’m at work with protein in so I guess that’s helping too. It’s so frustrating, it feels like I can eat literally anything and nothing will happen.

I’ve made a really good effort the last few months to eat even more and it’s helped a bit. It’s like when people tell me oh I can’t eat chocolate I’ll gain weight or similar, it’s frustrating for me because I know how much of it I’d have to eat to make any difference (not that it usually does anyway).
Thanks, it’s good to know I’m not alone! I’m trying to eat more protein and I get free good meals when I’m at work with protein in so I guess that’s helping too. It’s so frustrating, it feels like I can eat literally anything and nothing will happen.

I’ve made a really good effort the last few months to eat even more and it’s helped a bit. It’s like when people tell me oh I can’t eat chocolate I’ll gain weight or similar, it’s frustrating for me because I know how much of it I’d have to eat to make any difference (not that it usually does anyway).

You are definitely not alone. It can be very frustrating.🙂

You seem to be doing all the right things, to be honest. Try not to stress too much about it.
well done for your progress so far!

I completely understand you I've been in a similar position where I needed to put some more weight on; a few of the things that worked for me:

basically, to gain weight you need energy in > energy out
so eat more, move less

exercise:

are you able to reduce what you are doing a little bit? obviously (as long as you are healthy enough) exercise is really beneficial to your physical and mental health (as well as helping increase your appetite) so it's usually good to do some! but, say, could you walk a little less, maybe cycle (gently!!) the same route as you'd walk if taking a car/bus etc. isn't an option? reduce the length and the intensity of most of the exercise you do, if you can

food:

bigger meals increase your carbohydrates, fats and proteins (don't just fill up on veg/fruit)

more snacks! I found that, at the start, I wasn't really that hungry for another snack, but keep to a routine, start off with adding something small, then increase it, add another snack... I found that before long I'd actually be a bit peckish for my next snack :smile:

things like peanut butter, nuts and seeds, greek yoghurt, biscuits, bread, rice, nutella straight from the jar etc etc. ... foods that are "calorie-dense", foods that you enjoy!

ignore all the "recommended serving sizes" and all that rubbish. have as much as you want. have more. lick the knife (careful though).
e.g. you say the creamiest yoghurt you can find is only 160 calories... but just get a bigger tub, eat more of it? add more stuff to it granola, cereal, honey, jam, peanut butter, chocolate, nuts, seeds?

consider what foods you are eating, and think how you could add more to them.
e.g.
smoothie add oats, peanut butter, greek yoghurt, dates, honey etc.
salad get a good dressing (with oil) on it! make sure you fill it out a bit with carbs, protein, fat! e.g. rice, quinoa, avocado, cheese, nuts, eggs
pasta use more pasta, cook the sauce with butter or oil, plenty of cheese on top, add butter to the pasta once it's drained, eat with some garlic bread, mop up the sauce with bread...

you can probably tell I love peanut butter aha. but add it to anything! it makes a really nice sauce for a stir fry mix with sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, whatever else you like in your stir fry! on toast/bread: marmite, peanut butter and jam is delish (or just pb and jam if you don't like marmite, or pb and marmite); peanut butter and sriracha is a recent discovery which I really like as well; pb and nutella, pb and banana (+ chocolatey something, or cinnamon, or whatever)! spread it on some apple slices, veg sticks. eat straight from the jar. aldi does a kg tub for like £3.99 :smile:

a couple of websites I found a bit useful
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-gain-weight
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/18-foods-to-gain-weight
https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20805709/how-runners-can-gain-weight-healthily/
keep in mind (which I assume you are!) that often there are loads of links to other pages about weight loss blah blah blah... identify them and ignore them! or do the opposite of what they are suggesting lol

good luck, you will get there :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mnot
Go get thick cut white bread, cheese & full fat mayo and eat that with 180g bag of Doritos and dip. Suddenly you have about 1000 calories right their!

How did you know what I have for lunch? I was going to suggest to ?her my post-gym snack of peanut butter, bananas and some Optimum Serious Mass.
Original post by Reality Check
How did you know what I have for lunch? I was going to suggest to ?her my post-gym snack of peanut butter, bananas and some Optimum Serious Mass.

:laugh: It’s the simple stuff i have to avoid but really crave on weekends during cutting season.

Peanut butter is very good bulk (and so easy to chuck on toast/carbs to add even more calories). I always tell freshers who’s athletic potential would benefit from a bit more meat on their bones to drink whole milk with protein powder.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mnot
:laugh: It’s the simple stuff i have to avoid but really crave on weekends during cutting season.

Exactly the same with me. It's all those carbs that have to go with me if I"m trying to cut a bit, particularly as I've got older - I'm definitely more sensitive to carbs, and too many of them can make me feel a bit ****. Still love 'em though. I find that I need more and more good quality lean protein/isolate and less simple carbs as I get older. I think once I'm 40+ it will be just lean chicken, white fish, vegetables and low-fat dairy. Yuck.

Quick Reply

Latest