Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And this is the reason I don't think I could ever be a social worker.

Obviously this is an exceptional case, but still.

******* hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Same as with DancinBallerina, you're misunderstand what I said totally.

The system itself is working fine because it sanctioned the visits to the home and also for the baby to be checked by a paediatrician and doctors on several occasions. Certain individuals within the system, however, didn't work fine. The distinction here is between the system and the individuals within the system. You can't say "Social Services are a joke" because they're not- just some workers are.
    Social services in Haringey are so negligent it's criminal I agree they are not a joke as there is nothing funny about it. . If you don't believe it put down the crack pipe. This isn't the first child who has been let down by them.They also returned two children to a step father who had done sex offences against children.We would not have know if one of the social workers with a conscience had not blown the whistle and then been hounded out of her post by the rest They are broken mate admit it.

ReputationRep:
    The sickening thing is that this is the second child Haringey Council have allowed to die at the hands of their parents. And no one is being held accounted for. Who the hell can protect our children if the social services cant??

(Original post by Antonia87)
    The sickening thing is that this is the second child Haringey Council have allowed to die at the hands of their parents. And no one is being held accounted for. Who the hell can protect our children if the social services cant??
    Yea wasn't one of the woman in this case, involved in the Victoria Climbie case too? . . . .

Its all so so sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Social services in Haringey or so negligent it's criminal I agree they are not a joke as there is nothing funny about it. . If you don't believe it put down the crack pipe. This isn't the first child who has been let down by them.They also returned two children to a step father who had done sex offences against children.We would not have know if one of the social workers with a conscience had blown the whistle and then been hounded out of her post by the rest They are broken mate admit it.
    I'm not disputing that at all. They're a horrible unit with a record of negligence (Victoria Climbie, for example). What you're not understanding is that there's a difference between the system and the individuals upholding the system. So the policies are not wrong or bad or flawed but the governing/carrying out/execution of these policies was. To use an analogy which I read on here but can't remember where from (so apologies to the author!): If an architect designed a house and the architectural design was brilliant, but the builders they employed to build the house were morons and the house subsequently collapsed, whose fault would it be?

The builders', of course. And the builders are, indeed, the individuals that I've mentioned before. The architectural design is the system i.e. Social Services.

I can't put it any simpler than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Yea wasn't one of the woman in this case, involved in the Victoria Climbie case too? . . . .

Its all so so sad.
    If you are talking about Sharon Shoesmith, she was sent in to sort everything out after that disaster. Looks like she did well doesn't it...

And if they try to get rid of her she walks away with £200,000.She is only fit to command a one man street cleaning team.

ReputationRep:
    I wish people would STFU about this already. Kids die all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Baby P's mother was only 17 is this true?
    I think this is so sad how could anyone let this happen to their child

ReputationRep:
    i really can't wait to see what prison sentence they get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)

Its all so so sad.
    Yes that would be correct. With regards to Baby P, he was visited sixty times. SIXTY. And not one single solitary moment did someone think "Hm, is it just me or is something not quite f***ing right here?"

ReputationRep:
    i can't believe a mother did that to her own child. Poor child had to endure that for 17 months. One of the most disgusting crimes i've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    I'm not disputing that at all. They're a horrible unit with a record of negligence (Victoria Climbie, for example). What you're not understanding is that there's a difference between the system and the individuals upholding the system. So the policies are not wrong or bad or flawed but the governing/carrying out/execution of these policies was. To use an analogy which I read on here but can't remember where from (so apologies to the author!): If an architect designed a house and the architectural design was brilliant, but the builders they employed to build the house were morons and the house subsequently collapsed, whose fault would it be?

The builders', of course. And the builders are, indeed, the individuals that I've mentioned before. The architectural design is the system i.e. Social Services.

I can't put it any simpler than that.
    That may be ,but then the system is recruiting the wrong indivduals to carry out these policies.This is certainly the case in Haringey.

ReputationRep:
    That unit definitely needs a full, external review (again :rolleyes:). One is in the pipeline as well.

(Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    i really can't wait to see what prison sentence they get
    Yea im wondering that as well.

When is the sentencing date? December the 17th or something around then seems to be ringing bells to me . . . :dontknow:

Yes that would be correct. With regards to Baby P, he was visited sixty times. SIXTY. And not one single solitary moment did someone think "Hm, is it just me or is something not quite f***ing right here?"
    Yea same here - I definately would have thought the same . . .

Poor mite.

ReputationRep:
    I can't fathom how/why someone could do that to a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    I can't fathom how/why someone could do that to a baby.
    dont think anybody can, like i said earlier can you imagine him crying and screaming. i just couldnt do it.

did they really think they'd get away with it, its not as if you can excuse all those injuries. its not like shaken baby syndrome or something like that which can be accidental, this is clearly on purpose

ReputationRep:
    sixty times in seventeen months.
    that's somewhere between once a week and once a fortnight.

ridiculous, and pretty sickening.

once is an accident.
    twice is clumsiness.
    three is pushing it.
    more...there's no argument.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people like that exist..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    dont think anybody can, like i said earlier can you imagine him crying and screaming. i just couldnt do it.

did they really think they'd get away with it, its not as if you can excuse all those injuries. its not like shaken baby syndrome or something like that which can be accidental, this is clearly on purpose
    Apparently the fifteen yr old girl (girlfriend to one of the sadists) explained she had to go outside for a cigarrette when they were removing his fingernails because she could not stand the screaming.

It's unbelievable .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Apparently the fifteen yr old girl (girlfriend to one of the sadists) explained she had to go outside for a cigarrette when they were removing his fingernails because she could not stand the screaming.

It's unbelievable .
    hell.... it makes me feel sick

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.