Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    God was made to be a scapegoat.

I'm not trolling, just what I believe.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Shaun1991)
    There may well be a God, it's impossible to disprove, but it is definately not this fairy tale god people like Catholics (I am technically a Catholic) believe in.
    Oh, I'm not saying it is. I have no problem with people thinking that way, though. Everyone has the right to believe what they want. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    "suffer little children to come upon me" -we control what happens on this earth, we make our own choices etc but inevitibly i believe that god controls what happens when we die; our souls either enter a good place (ie.heaven) or a bad place where we will suffer for eternity (ie.hell) in this case, children such as baby p will receieve eternal life with god in heaven where he will never suffer again, whereas his parents will pay for their horrendous crimes in hell. as a christian, this is just my opinion and i understand not everyone will agree.

ReputationRep:
    it just prooves that there are actualy hateful evil people out there who could do that to a baby
    it says nothing about god people have freewill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by level_red)
    and yet no one crys for all the terminated children.

LOL how amusing
    No it isn't really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyok)
    I know bad things happen to hundreds of people every second of the day, but with this all over the news, I just wondered if anyone feels like this is proof there's not a god/s?
    No because my philosophy is compatible with 'the problem of evil' as some like to call it.

Each to their own though.

ReputationRep:
    god once drowned everyone he'd made except for noah and his family, and told abraham to kill his son then was all 'psych!'... so i dont know why anyone who'd read the bible would let this shake a faith in god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    I'm a bit confused. I was watching the news the other day and they said they use Baby P for legal reasons and I assumed they couldn't use his name because he was young or something but the next story was of the black toddler and baby who had been killed and they used their names. So why can't they use Baby P's real name? :confused:
    I didn't notice this actually, but every good point. I haven't seen much more in the news about those two poor kids either. Guess it's not *as* sensational. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Yep - even some of the worlds most dangerous thiefsdraw the line at children thats how sickening it is
    tbh I think we're better off talking about murderers and you do realise that they really, really don't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer24)
    :mad: I can’t believe how evil his mother was. He was such a beautiful baby, seen the picture today on the news. I can’t stop crying, there’s NOTHING in my power to change anything in this corrupt society! :no:

I can’t help it but I am really upset. WHY, WOULD ANYONE HURT A VUNERABLE BABY?
    Did you see the panorama about it last night? Shocking that a mother would let that happen to her baby and then try to cover it up. But how could a doctor miss 8 broken ribs and broken back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    a benevolent God keeps constant control over the people He's created? I'd call that a totalitarian God.
    If this god is all knowing, how can we have free will, that would mean god knows what we are going to do, therefore, we wouldn't really have a choice, merely an illusion of choice. Therefore, God would know when evil is going to occur, yet not stop it, either because he is not all powerful, or because he is not benevolent.

ReputationRep:
    They should us the images of the parents so that the people in the community can teach them a lesson before they go to prison

ReputationRep:
    While I am appaulled and horrifed by the torture that baby P endured during his very short and miserable life, I would not actually do anything to those that caused him all that pain. I feel it would make me no better than those themselves really.

ReputationRep:
    If this god is all knowing, how can we have free will, that would mean god knows what we are going to do, therefore, we wouldn't really have a choice, merely an illusion of choice. Therefore, God would know when evil is going to occur, yet not stop it, either because he is not all powerful, or because he is not benevolent.
    so? if God did have knowledge of my future, how does that knowledge affect my free will and autonomy? God is atemporal, he doesn't see the "future", He knows all time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    so? if God did have knowledge of my future, how does that knowledge affect my free will and autonomy? God is atemporal, he doesn't see the "future", He knows all time.
    If god new what you were going to do, you wouldn't be able to do anything else. So if I went and killed my neighbour now, God knew I was going to do that, so there is no way possible that I could have done otherwise, therefore, I technically didn't have a choice. If a man fell asleep in a room, then the room was locked, he woke up and chose to stay in the room, did he really have a choice? Because technically he was going to stay in the room whatever he "chose" to do.

ReputationRep:
    If god new what you were going to do, you wouldn't be able to do anything else. So if I went and killed my neighbour now, God knew I was going to do that, so there is no way possible that I could have done otherwise, therefore, I technically didn't have a choice. If a man fell asleep in a room, then the room was locked, he woke up and chose to stay in the room, did he really have a choice? Because technically he was going to stay in the room whatever he "chose" to do.
    If I had psychic abilities, and I knew that you were going to go and kill your neighbour, would that negate your free will, too? in that situation, my knowledge of what your choice was, didn't affect your ability to make it.

it's not a case of God having predicted your future, and you having to follow what he has chosen; merely God being able to view your whole existence and knowing what will happen to you. again, though, His knowledge does not impede your ability to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    If I had psychic abilities, and I knew that you were going to go and kill your neighbour, would that negate your free will, too? in that situation, my knowledge of what your choice was, didn't affect your ability to make it.

it's not a case of God having predicted your future, and you having to follow what he has chosen; merely God being able to view your whole existence and knowing what will happen to you. again, though, His knowledge does not impede your ability to choose.
    If god knew without doubt that I would kill my neighbour (who I have nothing against incidentally :shifty: ) then what if I was to chose differently, and not kill my neighbour?

ReputationRep:
    If god knew without doubt that I would kill my neighbour (who I have nothing against incidentally :shifty: ) then what if I was to chose differently, and not kill my neighbour?
    I think you're firstly, not getting the idea of an atemporal God. God exists outside of linear time - He isn't in the "now" and predicting what is GOING to happen, He exists outside of time, and sees all there will be.

secondly, I don't see how God's knowledge of what you WILL do, affects your ability to make a choice. You make your own choices, God just knows what they will be - without having any influence or control over them. Again, I'll bring you back to the psychic example - if I was psychic, and I foresaw you having cornflakes for breakfast, I foresaw your CHOICE to have cornflakes, rather than eggs - you still had the option to have eggs, you just chose cornflakes, and my foreknowledge of that decision did not affect your ability to make it.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't there a baby p subforum yet? Seriously, theres enough bloody posts about the story to warrant one by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I think you're firstly, not getting the idea of an atemporal God. God exists outside of linear time - He isn't in the "now" and predicting what is GOING to happen, He exists outside of time, and sees all there will be.

secondly, I don't see how God's knowledge of what you WILL do, affects your ability to make a choice. You make your own choices, God just knows what they will be - without having any influence or control over them. Again, I'll bring you back to the psychic example - if I was psychic, and I foresaw you having cornflakes for breakfast, I foresaw your CHOICE to have cornflakes, rather than eggs - you still had the option to have eggs, you just chose cornflakes, and my foreknowledge of that decision did not affect your ability to make it.
    You havn't answered the question, what if what god 'knew' was to happen, didn't happen?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.