Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I know it's really early, (I am a first year) but an abundance of careers emails aimed at the second and third years has got me thinking about what I need to be doing.

I have the opportunity to do some marshalling, with a CA judge, now should I do this in my summer hols this year? Or would I be best to leave it until next year?

Can a judge be a reference for me? I have done some work with one, also a CA judge, and he said he would be more than happy to be one of my references, however I wasn't sure whether you can have that; must it be your tutor/lecturer?

If I don't win any moot competitions, can I still talk about it if I get through a round or two? Would that look good or not?

What do we exclose, grades wise? They will only have our first year exam results when we apply for mini pupillages, so do we put our essay marks down too?

I was advised to take football back up, as I played at a high level. Would this really make a difference? The solicitor I was talking to said he likes people to have other interests like this, as well as academics.

I will probably think of more things later...!

ReputationRep:
    Followign the questions in some sort of order, I'd say the following:

1. It would be worth getting in as esarly as possible so this summer would be fine. That way, you might be able to work further experience in later in your degree and build up a useful little relationship with him. It's not a lie, the Bar (and even the powerful solicitors firms) can still be about who you know- not that you wont make it without links, but they certainly help.

2. Yes, a judge can be a referee. Generally you need two and the other should be a tutor or lecturer from uni but if he is happy to act as such, and you think he can do the business, then I don't see any problems. A friend of mine had a Bencher (and a member of the interviewing panel) from an Inn as a referee on his scholarship application and surprise, surprise; he walked away with £10k. Notably, that was even though he only barely knew this guy and I'm not even sure if they had met.

3. Yes, it is an achievement of sorts to even take on mooting alongside study and it shows a willingness to go that extra mile. I've talked about my 'successes' in national competitions, getting through a couple of rounds or so, in most of my apps.

4. Looking back, I think I put on module scores and an overall year average- so say Law (LL.B Hons), 1st year completed, 65% avg. (Contract 65, Tort 65, Constitutional 65 etc.)

5. Yep, extra curriculars are a welcome addition and show a more rounded character. That's why there has been a sudden onslaught of non law grads getting TCs and pupillages; because they like to see someone with a bit more than law, law, law.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_Dimelow)
    Followign the questions in some sort of order, I'd say the following:

1. It would be worth getting in as esarly as possible so this summer would be fine. That way, you might be able to work further experience in later in your degree and build up a useful little relationship with him. It's not a lie, the Bar (and even the powerful solicitors firms) can still be about who you know- not that you wont make it without links, but they certainly help.

2. Yes, a judge can be a referee. Generally you need two and the other should be a tutor or lecturer from uni but if he is happy to act as such, and you think he can do the business, then I don't see any problems. A friend of mine had a Bencher (and a member of the interviewing panel) from an Inn as a referee on his scholarship application and surprise, surprise; he walked away with £10k. Notably, that was even though he only barely knew this guy and I'm not even sure if they had met.

3. Yes, it is an achievement of sorts to even take on mooting alongside study and it shows a willingness to go that extra mile. I've talked about my 'successes' in national competitions, getting through a couple of rounds or so, in most of my apps.

4. Looking back, I think I put on module scores and an overall year average- so say Law (LL.B Hons), 1st year completed, 65% avg. (Contract 65, Tort 65, Constitutional 65 etc.)

5. Yep, extra curriculars are a welcome addition and show a more rounded character. That's why there has been a sudden onslaught of non law grads getting TCs and pupillages; because they like to see someone with a bit more than law, law, law.

Hope that helps!
    This is really helpful, thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome!

ReputationRep:
    I have another question: I could probaby secure a vac scheme or two, would this enhance my cv or just make me look indecisive? I definitely want to be a barrister, so I wouldn't be doing a vac scheme to get an insight into being a solicitor. And before anybody says me doing that would take away a chance for someone who really wants to be a solicitor to do a vac scheme, it wouldn't be in a big MC set or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    I have another question: I could probaby secure a vac scheme or two, would this enhance my cv or just make me look indecisive? I definitely want to be a barrister, so I wouldn't be doing a vac scheme to get an insight into being a solicitor. And before anybody says me doing that would take away a chance for someone who really wants to be a solicitor to do a vac scheme, it wouldn't be in a big MC set or anything.
    This could only enhance your CV. And, you never know, you might enjoy it so much you end up not wanting to go to the Bar anymore. Even if you don't change your mind, having seen both types of lawyer 'in action', you will be in a better position to justify whatever choice you finally make.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.