The Student Room Group

thoughts on these choices?

my 5 choices im thinking of are warwick, imperial, queen mary, ucl and kcl. i have to finalise these choices for tmrw bcz my teacher asked so that she can send my admissions test scores to the unis im applying to. i am only applying to london unis except for warwick. are these choices too competitive or should i replace one with a safer uni like city or brunel?

Scroll to see replies

Why do you only want to apply to London Unis?
Reply 2
Original post by CurlyyMM
Why do you only want to apply to London Unis?

mainly bcz my parents want me to stay closer to home
What subject are you applying for?
Original post by Say1845
mainly bcz my parents want me to stay closer to home

but do you want to stay close to home? London is an expensive city and you might want to experience something new (+getting to London via train doesn't take too long from most Uni cities in England)
Original post by Say1845
my 5 choices im thinking of are warwick, imperial, queen mary, ucl and kcl. i have to finalise these choices for tmrw bcz my teacher asked so that she can send my admissions test scores to the unis im applying to. i am only applying to london unis except for warwick. are these choices too competitive or should i replace one with a safer uni like city or brunel?

What are your predicted grades in what subjects. What do you intend studying.
Reply 6
Original post by CurlyyMM
but do you want to stay close to home? London is an expensive city and you might want to experience something new (+getting to London via train doesn't take too long from most Uni cities in England)

yes i think i would like to stay quite close to home, like as long as it isnt too far from london. thats one reason why warwick is one of my choices as well, bcz its not too far from london, like 2 hours by train.
Reply 7
Original post by Typhoons
What subject are you applying for?

maths
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
What are your predicted grades in what subjects. What do you intend studying.

maths
predicteds are A* cs, A fm, B maths but they are only our initial predicteds from before summer. they can change before january bcz we have mocks in november which are going to be the main thing our teachers use for our final predicted grades.
Original post by Say1845
maths
predicteds are A* cs, A fm, B maths but they are only our initial predicteds from before summer. they can change before january bcz we have mocks in november which are going to be the main thing our teachers use for our final predicted grades.

So you're not submitting your application until January?
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
So you're not submitting your application until January?

yes
Original post by Say1845
yes

So what is your teacher submitting to various universities?
Original post by Say1845
maths

There is no way you will get offers from Imperial with those grades and likely you wont get offers from Warwick or UCL either. You need to wait until the results in November before deciding and tell your teacher that.
Reply 13
So what is your teacher submitting to various universities?

so i have to sit mat for imperial, and i want to sit step for warwick, so she said i need to confirm my 5 choices to her on monday so that she can send those universities my test scores
Reply 14
Original post by swanseajack1
There is no way you will get offers from Imperial with those grades and likely you wont get offers from Warwick or UCL either. You need to wait until the results in November before deciding and tell your teacher that.

ok ill ask her that, thanks
Original post by Say1845
so i have to sit mat for imperial, and i want to sit step for warwick, so she said i need to confirm my 5 choices to her on monday so that she can send those universities my test scores

But you haven't sat those tests yet?
Reply 16
But you haven't sat those tests yet?

no but i have to let my school know if im going to sit them before the end of september
Original post by Say1845
warwick, imperial, queen mary, ucl and kcl.

Applying to all 4 of these is very risky.
Even if you meet/exceed the entry requirements, there will be thousands of others who do as well - this means that your chances of an offer from any of them is slim. It isnt uncommon for someone applying to all of them not to get any offers at all. This could leave you wth only QMUL - or no offer at all.

Plenty of other Unis are less than 2 hours from London by train - Southampton, Bristol, Bath etc - and you might actually get an offer from one of those.
Original post by Say1845
no but i have to let my school know if im going to sit them before the end of september

Ah, you said submit your test scores when you meant submit your entry for the tests. Got it now.

Well, as above you're not going to get an offer from Imperial or Warwick without an A* in maths unless you qualify for contextual offers.

And because you're not actually submitting your UCAS form until January there is absolutely no need to choose all your 5 choices now.
Reply 19
Original post by McGinger
Applying to all 4 of these is very risky.
Even if you meet/exceed the entry requirements, there will be thousands of others who do as well - this means that your chances of an offer from any of them is slim. It isnt uncommon for someone applying to all of them not to get any offers at all. This could leave you wth only QMUL - or no offer at all.

Plenty of other Unis are less than 2 hours from London by train - Southampton, Bristol, Bath etc - and you might actually get an offer from one of those.

i see. ill talk to my teacher about this tmrw and see what she thinks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending