Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody watching? I've got it taping on Sky+, watched about half so far, now my sister has taken control of the remote. Very interesting I must say, I appreciate if you're watching it hasn't finished yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes I saw the first episode which actually featured a barrister I know (who was a pupil at the time) - claim to fame!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    I've watched the first two episodes and I've ordered the Open University information pack which has arrived this morning-not read it yet though. I intend on becoming a solicitor but nevertheless, I still find it interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertine861)
    I've watched the first two episodes and I've ordered the Open University information pack which has arrived this morning-not read it yet though. I intend on becoming a solicitor but nevertheless, I still find it interesting.
    Mine came today as well, haven't opened it yet but saw 'Open University' and was thinking wtf, you just made me realise what it is :p:

ReputationRep:
    There should be a program called 'The Lawyers'. The journey to becoming a lawyer is no less harder and is wrought with similiar challenges and emotions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the overwhelming burden of getting GDL and LPC sponsorship alongside maintanance grants. Not to mention the slightly-more-than-1-in-6 chances of getting a training contract (with retention rates of more than 50% upon completion).

How do you guys ever manage!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil_Genius)
    Yes, the overwhelming burden of getting GDL and LPC sponsorship alongside maintanance grants. Not to mention the slightly-more-than-1-in-6 chances of getting a training contract (with retention rates of more than 50% upon completion).

We struggle through. A maintenance grant of £7,500 isn't that much really...

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilkySmooth)
    Mine came today as well, haven't opened it yet but saw 'Open University' and was thinking wtf, you just made me realise what it is :p:
    Haha yeah same here. :laughing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    Haha yeah same here. :laughing:

Can't help but wonder, what kind of chambers would allow cameras in during an interview?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Commercial_2010)
    There should be a program called 'The Lawyers'. The journey to becoming a lawyer is no less harder and is wrought with similiar challenges and emotions.
    You are a lawyer when you get a degree in law. It's hardly the same.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

i'm not convinced it is 1 in 6.

ReputationRep:

Can't help but wonder, what kind of chambers would allow cameras in during an interview?
    That whole interview thing was really wierd. And then inviting her back to tell her where she went wrong, come on!

But some of the students on there...I mean, she put on voices in the interview??!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    That whole interview thing was really wierd. And then inviting her back to tell her where she went wrong, come on!

But some of the students on there...I mean, she put on voices in the interview??!!
    I think she did, but surely they couldn't of based their decision on that, to call her back just to go on about that seems strange.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think she did, but surely they couldn't of based their decision on that, to call her back just to go on about that seems strange.
    Of course they could've. If you listened carefully they said it makes her audience thing she is scared of being seen to make a serious point. Imagine that in court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Of course they could've. If you listened carefully they said it makes her audience thing she is scared of being seen to make a serious point. Imagine that in court.
    Exactly.

Do you think the students they are following are a fair representation? I thought the average student having completed the BVC would be smarter than most of them? The girl in the first week who already had a pupillage seemed pretty intelligent and had her head screwed on, however it still suprised me that she used the word "pissed" during a moot?! I don't know it just seems like the calibre would be a bit higher, what do you lot think?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by pcok)
    Exactly.

Do you think the students they are following are a fair representation? I thought the average student having completed the BVC would be smarter than most of them? The girl in the first week who already had a pupillage seemed pretty intelligent and had her head screwed on, however it still suprised me that she used the word "pissed" during a moot?! I don't know it just seems like the calibre would be a bit higher, what do you lot think?
    I suppose you could argue anyone with any sense wouldn't have let them follow them :p:

ReputationRep:
    The statistical chance of getting pupillage is 1 in 8 (see Simon's blog entry--'Chances of Success'; I believe this number comes from the Wood report). This has obviously changed since the documentary was made.

As to the average calibre of pupillage applicant, those portrayed on the show were all better-than-average. This can be deduced from the fact that they all had an interview (many of them more than one), which, statistically, only happens to less than half of all BVC graduates. My guess would be that the producers have chosen those who were not entirely hopeless and had interesting life stories, otherwise the documentary would obviously be rather dull (e.g. instead of them going to interview, it would be them crying in their bedrooms after receiving rejections). I have interviewed a vast number of BVC graduates for a paralegal position and I can tell you that the programme's participants were all more impressive by way of presentation than those I have encountered. Which is not to say, though, that I was impressed by the Dynamic Trio in isolation--I thought Iqbar was remarkably inarticulate (see: cringeworthy MT moot...) not to mention intellectually dubious (competent for BVC--really...? The course that is supposed to teach actual, directly transferrable barristerial skills?). The aspiring criminal barrister was pleasant but a little vacuous (her answers at interview to non-personal questions were a little shaky). Out of the three, I think it is the second girl which had what it took---she was able to express herself well, was very cogent in describing the difficulties of getting pupillage and seemed generally pleasant. I was also impressed by the lengths to which she went to get some help for her applications--i.e. networking with that construction barrister. I'm certain she could have gotten pupillage right away had she been realistic enough not to aim for competition/EU sets, which are the creme de la creme of the Commercial Bar and would defecate on applications without a First in law...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Which girl is which?

I know a couple of barristers practising at top chancery sets that don't have firsts - ******* good ones too, I've instructed them and been impressed. I also know of one barrister who has excellent academics, and experience in other professions relevant to his commercial practice who I instructed once, and never again .... he is purgatory to work with!

ReputationRep:
    I was trying to avoid descriptions alongside racial lines, but the black girl wanted to go into crime and the white one wanted to do EU. I'm sure you do know barristers without Firsts (although chancery, if I'm not mistaken, is easier to get into than EU/Competition--only done in the MAgic Circle) but these are likely older, having been called in the 90's or early in this decade, when the competition for pupillage was less fierce.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I was trying to avoid descriptions alongside racial lines, but the black girl wanted to go into crime and the white one wanted to do EU. I'm sure you do know barristers without Firsts (although chancery, if I'm not mistaken, is easier to get into than EU/Competition--only done in the MAgic Circle) but these are likely older, having been called in the 90's or early in this decade, when the competition for pupillage was less fierce.
    Nope - they aren't that senior .... just ******* good at what they do ... presumably they had extra corrics and fantastic experience.

I have a bit of a ***** memory when it comes to telly so it all mixes together! Agree, the last one does seem pleasent enough and can at least string a sentence together!

Have to say I was suprised the bloke got offered by St Phillips.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.