Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Pupil v Queen's Counsel

Who will win? Stay tuned.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!! I am a pupil

I participated as I was asked by the Under Treasurer of the Middle Temple. Filming was an unbelievable year and a quarter. I wrote about this in Counsel magazine in a lot of detail!! Its an interesting article if you are interested in the documentary

(Original post by FMQ)
    Congratulations Iqbal. I take it you got tennancy too?

Can i ask why you decided to participate in the programme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommehR)
    Pupil v Queen's Counsel

Who will win? Stay tuned.
    Queen's Counsel of course!! (says the ever deferential, mere, puny pupil).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightseternal)
    I met two between by assessment and interview while we waited and then I met three during my second and third interviews as my second interview massively overran. I was interviewed and offered in the same year as pupillage (2007). The candidates were not 'complete idiots,' they were extremely bright. You can tell by having a chat with them about their education, experience and general things. Again, its only my opinion but I dare say it has some weight as I have experienced recruitment for both which very few people have.
    Fair enough, it's your opinion. I think you need to be careful about trying to draw such sweeping conclusions from speaking briefly to five people at one firm.

Personally, I think that it would be more difficult to become a barrister, but that is probably informed by the fact that I have absolutely no desire to become a barrister which would obviously come across in the interview. I think that it can be said that to get pupillage you need to be pretty single-minded about what you want to do. If you're not sure whether you want to become a barrister or solicitor then you're probably not going to get it, whereas becoming a trainee doesn't seem to require such rabid dedication and determination.

ReputationRep:
    Completely right. Which is unfair as both prospective pupil and trainee can't realistically have made their mind up for life. Firms generate an income from trainees whereas chambers (save for some contrib to expenses in second six if applicable) don't. Hence, chambers tend to require much more fanatical dedication. My view is that the high numbers who disappear from the bar after tenancy is very telling.

(Original post by TommehR)
    Fair enough, it's your opinion. I think you need to be careful about trying to draw such sweeping conclusions from speaking briefly to five people at one firm.

Personally, I think that it would be more difficult to become a barrister, but that is probably informed by the fact that I have absolutely no desire to become a barrister which would obviously come across in the interview. I think that it can be said that to get pupillage you need to be pretty single-minded about what you want to do. If you're not sure whether you want to become a barrister or solicitor then you're probably not going to get it, whereas becoming a trainee doesn't seem to require such rabid dedication and determination.

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to do some work. I hope you enjoy episode three which shows an excruciating moment in the life of a pupil proper shafted by her chambers (on national TV of all places, the idiots).

I am on again in part four!

Regards

Iqbal

ReputationRep:
    It sounds much better when recast

In a pupil v QC contest only the pupil can win. The QC merely lives up to expectations (if that). Consequently, I'm not competing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.