Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    after a panic attack?

I've never had one before and I still feel shakey and awful. Anyone with experience have any advice with what to do?

ReputationRep:
    listen to Panic! at the disco
    just keep in the theme of things.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend having a nice warm bath/shower and then curling up in bed for a bit with a nice cup of tea to watch a film.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally reccommend something sugary like a chocolate bar or something, or an energy drink...try to get your energy going. And try to take really deep breaths to get your breathing under-control, in a bag or something if possible.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that perfectly normal... especiall as its your first attact... hyperventiliating deprives your body of oxygen and it takes a little while of regular breathing to get those levels back up

Do you know any thecniques to get rid of them or to stop them if you feel them coming on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Do you know any thecniques to get rid of them or to stop them if you feel them coming on?
    No? Any information would be useful; I've been having the shakes randomly for a while now, but this is the first time I've had what could be called a panic attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I'd recommend having a nice warm bath/shower and then curling up in bed for a bit with a nice cup of tea to watch a film.
    :ditto: bless you. Try not to think about it. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmarainbow)
    No? Any information would be useful; I've been having the shakes randomly for a while now, but this is the first time I've had what could be called a panic attack.
    Hmm, have you talked to anyone about this? Do you think it could be stress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    Hmm, have you talked to anyone about this? Do you think it could be stress?
    Definitely; I've been freaking out a lot recently and I'm trying to get counselling from the uni, although the waiting list is stupid and I haven't got it yet.

I've still got this awful ache in my chest and the kind of headache I get with an asthma attack. Blargh. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely; I've been freaking out a lot recently and I'm trying to get counselling from the uni, although the waiting list is stupid and I haven't got it yet.

I've still got this awful ache in my chest and the kind of headache I get with an asthma attack. Blargh. :no:
    :hugs: It's horrible, have you tried going to the doctors?

ReputationRep:
    Have something to eat, be in a comfortable place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electric_Dreams)
    :hugs: It's horrible, have you tried going to the doctors?
    No... what can they do?

ReputationRep:
    after a panic attack?

I've never had one before and I still feel shakey and awful. Anyone with experience have any advice with what to do?
    deep breaths...draw

ReputationRep:
    No... what can they do?
    They can get people to talk to you, but quicker generally. :o:

ReputationRep:
    No... what can they do?
    The doctor could do a lot actually, they might be able to bump you up the waiting list for counselling or get you into some counselling through them... the shakes could be due to another reason so they could test you for that...

The symptoms of a panic atack are:
    feeling of panic, tingling/numbness of hands & feet, tight chest, shaking, confusion, palpatitions (fast heart) dizziness, hyperventilating... if you star getting ay of these the best thing to do is to sit down, pt your head lower than your shoulders and breathe into a paper bag. If you dont have a bag to hand, cup both hands over your mouth and breathe like that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if your diet is high in sugar, try to cut down, too much sugar can cause the shakes

ReputationRep:
    Hey Emma my love, I shall try to chat to you on msn later or something =]

Sadly I'm quite well versed in anxiety attacks. One of the best things you can do if you start to feel one coming on is try and get yourself to a comfortable and safe place. Under the duvet is often good, but it's entirely based on how you feel. Take long, slow, measured breaths, focusing all your attention on that. Try and time the inspirations and expirations. Count as you inhale, and exhale, first keeping them of equal length, then attempting to get the out breaths longer than the in breaths. (If that makes any sense!)

Dealing with the after effects: Clichéd I know, but a hot cup of tea or hot chocolate and a biscuit do wonders. Get yourself somewhere comfortable, and just try and relax. Great if you can talk to someone too, even if it is a banal chat about the weather. Having a bath with some nice smellies and a sleep is also good

Speak soon sweety!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    yeah that perfectly normal... especiall as its your first attact... hyperventiliating deprives your body of oxygen and it takes a little while of regular breathing to get those levels back up
    hyperventilating doesn't deprive the body of oxygen. Instead it might deprive the body of carbon dioxide and make the blood slightly too alkaline if you do it for long enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    hyperventilating doesn't deprive the body of oxygen. Instead it might deprive the body of carbon dioxide and make the blood slightly too alkaline if you do it for long enough.

yeah thats it... I knew it deprived the blood of something... I'm not quite with it tonight :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone... I'm comfort eating in bed, and it's at least distracting. I'll be on msn tonight Mike, thanks.

:hugs:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2008
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.